• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SDCC on the move?

59 posts in this topic

New location will have nothing to do with any expanded dealer area, so I don't see any major upgrade here. Lest not for us comic nerds.

IMHO

B

Doesn't it say this?

Drawings depict nearly 400,000 additional square feet, of which 225,000 would be prime exhibit space — which convention officials say they need to keep competing for large, lucrative shows.

Now if that's separate (or too far) from the main Halls, I can see how some people wouldn't make it to this new area. (shrug)

of which 225,000 would be prime exhibit space

Additonal prim space to be sold out to the movie studios, computer game companies, etc etc

nothing to do with additional comic dealer space,

B

No offense... but :screwy:lol

Good luck in San Diego! (thumbs u

They should lop off the Anime and Gaming part of the show and have it on the preceding or following week to reduce the scope of the show.

That would reduce the size enough to make it more manageble , at least for the short term.

What is important is comics and movies

They should lop off the Anime and Gaming part of the show and have it on the preceding or following week to reduce the scope of the show.

(thumbs u

I've been trying to say this for years, but no one's listening. A double weekend would work.

That would reduce the size enough to make it more manageble , at least for the short term.

What is important is comics and movies

You had me at dancing chicken. Now I'm just completely lost.

The only thing that would be better is Wizard World Amsterdam

I was in Amsterdam last fall. That would be a fun convention.

WW Amsterdam or SDCC at Amsterdam would be a dream ticket...heck, the flight is only 45 minutes from London instead of the usual interminable 11 hours to SD.

It's also the stag night (bachelor party) capital of Europe, at least for Brits. To be honest, I doubt it could cope with 125,000 attendees, or even a tenth of that amount.

I was shopping downtown Waterloo tonite with Louise when I hear my name being yelled as I was standing in a Ladies clothing store.

So picture this.

It's 5 pm, bright sunny day, streets are full of people and I hear my name being yelled over and over.

I look outside and there is an old co-worker of mine surrounded by 1/2 dozen buddies, yelling my name through a dirty orange road pylon being used as a megaphone, dressed in flip flops, a bright pink T shirt and bright pink ladies pajama pants, sporting 3 flowered lays around his neck and a shot gloss.

The shot glass was there for mandatory consumption of a shot of Jagermeister every time he farted.

He'd apparently been tooting since 9:30 this morning at an alarming rate as he could hardly stand up straight.

:roflmao:

Stags are so much fun.

doh!

That sounds pretty typical....you don't see too much of that sort of behavior in Amsterdam, although with all the Brits descending on the place on the weekends it can get a bit lairy.

Still worth a visit or two, tho'.

Yep, Europeans are more stable than us Americans. I heard they only banned 'shroms because of Americans tripping and jumping into the canals

Anyone think that "Anaheim" would be in the mix for the Con? hm

Wizard just announced that they will be hosting a con there in April 2010 (same weekend as the new C2E2 in Chicago), so I don't see San Diego in that mix.

I went to SDCC in 2007, and I thought that I had heard a new five-year agreement had just been signed to keep it in San Diego. We shouldn't have to worry about a move until at least 2013.

“We can't accommodate the people we need to,” Comic-Con marketing director David Glanzer complained to the entertainment industry journal. “(This year) we had a wait list of exhibitors in excess of 300. We sold out before the doors even opened.”

Is this not a good thing. This is where media businesses mess up. Always leave them wanting more. A dealer knows if he gives up his booth, 300 more are lined up behind him ready to move in. If a fan misses out on coming one year, he is fired up even more to get a pass the next year.

But if you think San Diego can keep the show just because they want to or have to you are fooling yourself. Ask Chicago about the National Hardware Show now in Vegas. Ask Atlanta about Super Show and Comdex which is now in Vegas. If there is money involved, they can and will move if the oppurtunity presents itself.

Every comicon held in Vegas has been a disaster. Comicon attendees will either lose their money at the tables and have nothing left for books or spend their money at the con and not gamble which is the only reason the city wants visitors. A losing proposition for everyone. My prediction is that if the show moves here, it will be gone in less than 5 years. The cool weather, conveinient walking to restaurants, bars, shops, etc adds a lot of appeal to San Diego. Keep it there and expand the convention center or split the show up into two sections, comic books and related items and movie / game industry on separate weekends or separate buildings.

Ken

You want to "fix" Comic-Con you have to take it back to its roots. Put all the comics, gaming and anime in the old convention center and have the movie and TV in the main convention center. Increase the shuttle bus service to and fro.

Problem is, Committee is blinded by the bright lights of tinsel town and they're too busy courting the studios to give a rat's behind about what got the convention where it is in the first place. The people that run the show want to feel cool rubbing elbows with famous people not the rabble in the comics industry or god forbid fans and collectors.

I heard that the bond referendum to expand the Convention Center failed. This means there is no money to build the planned expansion. I think that is why the threats to move it have started again.

“We can't accommodate the people we need to,” Comic-Con marketing director David Glanzer complained to the entertainment industry journal. “(This year) we had a wait list of exhibitors in excess of 300. We sold out before the doors even opened.”

Is this not a good thing. This is where media businesses mess up. Always leave them wanting more. A dealer knows if he gives up his booth, 300 more are lined up behind him ready to move in. If a fan misses out on coming one year, he is fired up even more to get a pass the next year.

But if you think San Diego can keep the show just because they want to or have to you are fooling yourself. Ask Chicago about the National Hardware Show now in Vegas. Ask Atlanta about Super Show and Comdex which is now in Vegas. If there is money involved, they can and will move if the oppurtunity presents itself.

I live here in Vegas.. Comdex is dead.. gone... 6 feet under.. they filed bankruptcy years ago

Vegas would work better for anyone who has to fly to the show. Vegas is usually quite a bit cheaper to fly to than most airports. Rental cars are always cheaper and there are bootyloads of hotels. Plus it's only a 1:45 drive for me, instead of the 5hr drive to SD.......I'm all in for it being moved to Vegas. Any portion of the Convention Center would suit the CC just fine.......

there's definitely plenty of room in the back to expand. parking could be underground. when we were there last summer and walking along the water back to our hotel we walked along the back of the convention center and went around it. pretty yucky back there late at night.

they've been talking about expanding NYC's convention center for years...it's roughly the same size as SD's, but it's a political nightmare. they finally settled on a bare bones 100K sq foot expandsion after nobody was willing to pay to get it up to 1.35 million sq feet, but it was going to cost $2800 a square foot to build! the 100K foot bare bones expansion is going to cost $400 square foot. san diego can probably get it done for $150 a square foot!