• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I just don't understand the modern 9.6 collector

174 posts in this topic

It is beyond ridiculous to assume that "most books after 1983 will eventually have a 9.9 on the census."

I'm counting on new "pressing technologies" to come along in the future and turn 9.8's into 9.9's

:jokealert:

Why not just buy a 9.4 which basically looks the same as a 9.6 for less money?

You could use this argument for any grade and any era. Why not buy 9.4 SA instead of 9.6, when the top census copy is a 9.8? Why not buy 9.2s or 9.0s, instead of 9.4s, etc...

Does it make any more sense to buy a SA 9.4 for triple the price of the 9.2, when the 9.4 is the third best copy?

That's the point I was getting at in my mock-post above.

:golfclap:

-slym

The difference is that there is a FINITE SUPPLY of silver age books in 9.0, 9.2, 9.4, etc. So buying at a certain grade level (i.e. silver age 9.2) means your book has a certain "status" so to speak.

But there is an almost UNLIMITED potential supply of potential 9.6 modern books if it was financially feasable to submit them (which it is usually not).

Maybe some don't collect for scarcity or status? Maybe they just want to have a complete set of nice looking books?

Late silver/early bronze ASMs in 9.0 or 9.2 aren't exactly rare and won't get me much "status", but they're more than welcome in my set. Similarly, if I were looking for the modern issues, I'd buy 9.6s for 1/2 or 1/3 the price all day long.

It is beyond ridiculous to assume that "most books after 1983 will eventually have a 9.9 on the census."

As it stands now, that's lunacy. Perhaps....maybe....as many as 1% of all post 1983 books will eventually have a 9.9 or 10 on the census. And that's a HUGE maybe.

Choose any random 100 books on the census, and none of them will EVER see a 9.9 or 10. For every ONE book with a 9.9 or 10, I can give you 100 without.

Thor #347?

Amazing Spiderman #256?

Crisis on Infinite Earths #11?

Albedo #4?

GI Joe #152?

Strangers in Paradise #3?

Harbinger #4?

Fables #16?

House of M #7?

The list goes on on and on and on...

The most submitted book of all time, Wolverine Ltd #1, with 5,373 copies submitted has 13 9.9s, and two 10s.

And this is a book that was saved by the caseload the second they arrived from the printer.

The second most submitted book, Amazing Spiderman #300, with 5,284, has a single 9.9. Just one. Out of 5,284 subbed.

No, the odds are so stacked against there being 9.9s and 10s for any random post 1983 book that I'd bet against it a million times. And if we're talking 1983-2002, forget it even more.

The only thing that would change this was a radical loosening of grading standards.

I wholeheartedly agree. For once :makepoint:

But there is an almost UNLIMITED potential supply of potential 9.6 modern books if it was financially feasable to submit them (which it is usually not).

Since it isn't financially feasable to submit modern 9.6s, it would follow that there would be a FINITE supply of 9.6 SLABS to be had. If I want to put together a slabbed set of some title, and if I can get a large portion of those slabs for less than, or equal to the costs of slabbing, then I basically got the book for free. Not bad, especially considering that the 9.6 looks nearly the farking same.

As it stands now, that's lunacy. Perhaps....maybe....as many as 1% of all post 1983 books will eventually have a 9.9 or 10 on the census. And that's a HUGE maybe.

Choose any random 100 books on the census, and none of them will EVER see a 9.9 or 10. For every ONE book with a 9.9 or 10, I can give you 100 without.

Thor #347?

Amazing Spiderman #256?

Crisis on Infinite Earths #11?

Albedo #4?

GI Joe #152?

Strangers in Paradise #3?

Harbinger #4?

Fables #16?

House of M #7?

The list goes on on and on and on...

The most submitted book of all time, Wolverine Ltd #1, with 5,373 copies submitted has 13 9.9s, and two 10s.

And this is a book that was saved by the caseload the second they arrived from the printer.

The second most submitted book, Amazing Spiderman #300, with 5,284, has a single 9.9. Just one. Out of 5,284 subbed.

No, the odds are so stacked against there being 9.9s and 10s for any random post 1983 book that I'd bet against it a million times. And if we're talking 1983-2002, forget it even more.

The only thing that would change this was a radical loosening of grading standards.

I wholeheartedly agree. For once :makepoint:

Quiet, you!

Since it isn't financially feasable to submit modern 9.6s, it would follow that there would be a FINITE supply of 9.6 SLABS to be had. If I want to put together a slabbed set of some title, and if I can get a large portion of those slabs for less than, or equal to the costs of slabbing, then I basically got the book for free. Not bad, especially considering that the 9.6 looks nearly the farking same.

What he said.

By the way....those of you who own really random, bizarre, out of the ordinary 9.9s and 10s? You know, like books that are NOT Spawn #1, or Spiderman #1, or X-O Manowar #0, or God forbid, the ridiculous Lady Death 1/2 Crucible sketch variant...

I'd keep 'em if I were you.

The odds are incredibly in your favor that there will never be another one, and when and if the market catches up to these books and these types of books....you'll essentially be able to write your own checks.

I bought a couple of RIP variants 9.6 SS when they were 'hot'. The 9.8s were three/four times the price.

You can now get the 9.8 SS for the same price I paid for the 9.6s months ago. Even 'hot' books 9.8 prices will drop if the demand isn't there. It's always best to wait out on moderns and the 9.8 price will drop eventually.

Doesn't that mean the worth of the 9.6's you bought has been lowered as well? I have no horse in this race so whatever floats people's boats, but in light of the OP's question, and given the fact that you know/think the 9.8's eventually would fall in price, as the OP wonders, why buy the 9.6's in the first place if they won't be worth what you paid for them? Just asking.

Who are these people that buy 9.6 slabs of modern books?

Yes, they cost less than 9.8, but at least with 9.8 you usually have the highest graded book (at least until that 9.9 shows up one day).

Why not just buy a 9.4 which basically looks the same as a 9.6 for less money?

Hey, if someone wants to put together a great 9.6 collection of 1980's comics, good for them ........ I just don't understand the reasoning.

Yeah that's a real stumper alright! :screwy:lol

God we cycle through a lot of dumb questions on these boards! (no offense)

EDIT: PS I am drunk, seriously, no offense :foryou:

Doesn't that mean the worth of the 9.6's you bought has been lowered as well? I have no horse in this race so whatever floats people's boats, but in light of the OP's question, and given the fact that you know/think the 9.8's eventually would fall in price, as the OP wonders, why buy the 9.6's in the first place if they won't be worth what you paid for them? Just asking.

Because he wants them? For some people, this hobby is about consumption, not investment.

Because he wants them? For some people, this hobby is about consumption, not investment.

^^

I have to agree with everyone's logic along the path of not every book in your collection has to be a 9.8 if you set the bar to a certain level.

There are those out there that if a book is not a 9.8, they won't touch it. And I hope you keep that philosophy as you make it super-cheap for others that are okay with less than "perfect."

And then there are those books that are super-rare even coming up in 9.8, so why strive for the overly-ridiculous to find if you are just wanting to complete a story arc/set/whatever?

Welcome to my, "What you collect sucks," thread. :hi:

I should learn to keep things simpler. Verbosity is a disease. :hi: