• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I just don't understand the modern 9.6 collector

174 posts in this topic

I usually seek out 9.4 WP's. I get a gorgeous copy for a great price, and have more money to buy other books...

(thumbs u I would expect nothing less from a fellow New Jerseyite.

Who are these people that buy 9.6 slabs of modern books?

Yes, they cost less than 9.8, but at least with 9.8 you usually have the highest graded book (at least until that 9.9 shows up one day).

Why not just buy a 9.4 which basically looks the same as a 9.6 for less money?

Hey, if someone wants to put together a great 9.6 collection of 1980's comics, good for them ........ I just don't understand the reasoning.

Do you mean modern, or copper? (shrug)

Reading this thread has given me an ulcer, but I did want to say...

The people who drive up prices on 9.8s, and turn their noses in disgust at 9.6s (strictly moderns, here, but the idea translates, at lower numbers, across the ages) simply have no concept how LITTLE difference there is between these quarter grades...or if they do, they just don't care. The only thing that matters is the number in the upper right hand.

...it's the upper LEFT hand, ya maroon. :baiting:

Reading this thread has given me an ulcer, but I did want to say...

The people who drive up prices on 9.8s, and turn their noses in disgust at 9.6s (strictly moderns, here, but the idea translates, at lower numbers, across the ages) simply have no concept how LITTLE difference there is between these quarter grades...or if they do, they just don't care. The only thing that matters is the number in the upper right hand.

...it's the upper LEFT hand, ya maroon. :baiting:

Um.

My eyes are dyslexic....?

:blush:

Im a 9.4 to 9.8 collector, and to be honest I don't understand any collector. Myself included.
Best glazed over post by a non pm returning, no scan sending, modern 9.6 misplacer :baiting:

Yes, it's true...I occasionally make detail mistakes when I'm waxing philosophically. ;)

Is that what you call your cases of verbal diarrhea? :baiting:

You WISH you could wax as well as I.....

I would be fearful of the carpal tunnel syndrome which I would surely develop.

I am simply wondering why you would buy 9.6's in the first place if you know you can obtain 9.8's later for the same price? I wasn't aware I was being so obtuse that I needed to clarify.

I understood the question, and I answered it; consumption. He bought it when he wanted to buy it, because he wanted it there and then. It's no different than buying a DVD the day it comes out, as opposed to waiting for it to drop in price a year later.

Thank you for speaking for him. And if you happen to be correct, I have no issue with that. I was just asking HIM to elaborate. Glad you're here to answer for others though. What would they do without you?

Oh, I'm sorry; I was under the impression that you were asking him that question in order to find a reason as to why someone would buy something NOW, as opposed to buying something later for a lower price.

I didn't realize that you were interested solely in the buying motivations of Boozad, and not the more general discussion that we were having in this thread.

That's why I quoted him and not why I didn't simply post a reply asking the question in general to everyone. It's no big deal. I just read his post and he was very matter of fact about it and I wanted to know if he knew or thought that the 9.8's were going to come down in price in a relatively short time span (not necessarily a year, you know, like a DVD might). Who doesn't understand the basic concept of consumption or the desire to satisfy a want? Who hasn't bought something even though they know the price will likely come down in time? You're preaching to the choir on that regard....buying what you want. I was just curious b/c as obsessive as I am, even I can wait 60 days if somebody tells me I can have "x" for less or for the same price as a lesser copy.

I think you're oversimplifying what Boozad said - yes, there are some books where you only have to wait a couple of months for the 9.8 prices to drop significantly. But more often than not, those are "hype" books where the first copies to market always sell for a great deal more than what the next copies will sell for. The Obama ASM variant is a great example of this - same for the recalled All Star Batman & Robin. Modern sketch cover variants usually fall into that category as well.

(This is definitely not limited to slabbed books either, though - in those cases raw books usually see the same price decrease).

But that's not the norm, though - there are plenty of books where 9.8 prices have remained pretty constant over a long period of time, and where the divide between the 9.6 & 9.8 prices remain the same. And plenty of other books where 9.8 prices have increased over time (so the "crazy" price you paid for your 9.8 copy a couple of years ago now seems like a bargain). And even more cases where 9.8 prices might dip a little, then go back up again, then go back down again, etc.

It's not really a black & white situation - there is no golden rule here - because you never know when demand outstrips supply & vice-versa.

That's cool. That's sort of what I was asking. I even mentioned the bit about knowing if a 9.8 is going to drop. And since you mentioned it, his post about SS RIP variants or some such? Would those be considered "hype" books as well?

Look, I don't know why this has become such a cluster. And maybe I am simplifying what Boozad said. I was just curious. He was clear and succinct and seemed to have a grasp of that market. So I just wondered why he'd buy a 9.6 when he can have a 9.8 a couple months later. I'm not looking down on him for it. Just wondering.

Wow, I didn't intend to cause a shatstorm and it loks like I shouldn't have gone to bed so early.

I guess my point was that naivety can cause people to buy 9.6s as opposed to 9.8s. I was fresh back to collecting then and got wrapped up in the whole RIP variant carp. I saw a couple of SS books on eBay signed by Tony Daniel and though 'ooh I bet they're rare' (naivety #1) and bought the 9.6s as they were cheaper than the 9.8s.

I thought they'd hold their value (naivety #2) and didn't realise the hype over these books would die off pretty much as quick as it had started (naivety #3). My problem was I didn't understand the market then, but realised later that if I had waited I could have the books up in a 9.8 for the same price.

I'm happy with the 9.6s, I have no urge to go and 'upgrade' them to 9.8s. I say 'upgrade' as personally I can't tell the difference between the 9.6s and 9.8s I've submitted to CGC in the past.

I know that probably hasn't clarified anything and is as clear as mud but there you go :grin:

I am simply wondering why you would buy 9.6's in the first place if you know you can obtain 9.8's later for the same price? I wasn't aware I was being so obtuse that I needed to clarify.

I understood the question, and I answered it; consumption. He bought it when he wanted to buy it, because he wanted it there and then. It's no different than buying a DVD the day it comes out, as opposed to waiting for it to drop in price a year later.

Thank you for speaking for him. And if you happen to be correct, I have no issue with that. I was just asking HIM to elaborate. Glad you're here to answer for others though. What would they do without you?

Oh, I'm sorry; I was under the impression that you were asking him that question in order to find a reason as to why someone would buy something NOW, as opposed to buying something later for a lower price.

I didn't realize that you were interested solely in the buying motivations of Boozad, and not the more general discussion that we were having in this thread.

That's why I quoted him and not why I didn't simply post a reply asking the question in general to everyone. It's no big deal. I just read his post and he was very matter of fact about it and I wanted to know if he knew or thought that the 9.8's were going to come down in price in a relatively short time span (not necessarily a year, you know, like a DVD might). Who doesn't understand the basic concept of consumption or the desire to satisfy a want? Who hasn't bought something even though they know the price will likely come down in time? You're preaching to the choir on that regard....buying what you want. I was just curious b/c as obsessive as I am, even I can wait 60 days if somebody tells me I can have "x" for less or for the same price as a lesser copy.

I think you're oversimplifying what Boozad said - yes, there are some books where you only have to wait a couple of months for the 9.8 prices to drop significantly. But more often than not, those are "hype" books where the first copies to market always sell for a great deal more than what the next copies will sell for. The Obama ASM variant is a great example of this - same for the recalled All Star Batman & Robin. Modern sketch cover variants usually fall into that category as well.

(This is definitely not limited to slabbed books either, though - in those cases raw books usually see the same price decrease).

But that's not the norm, though - there are plenty of books where 9.8 prices have remained pretty constant over a long period of time, and where the divide between the 9.6 & 9.8 prices remain the same. And plenty of other books where 9.8 prices have increased over time (so the "crazy" price you paid for your 9.8 copy a couple of years ago now seems like a bargain). And even more cases where 9.8 prices might dip a little, then go back up again, then go back down again, etc.

It's not really a black & white situation - there is no golden rule here - because you never know when demand outstrips supply & vice-versa.

That's cool. That's sort of what I was asking. I even mentioned the bit about knowing if a 9.8 is going to drop. And since you mentioned it, his post about SS RIP variants or some such? Would those be considered "hype" books as well?

Look, I don't know why this has become such a cluster. And maybe I am simplifying what Boozad said. I was just curious. He was clear and succinct and seemed to have a grasp of that market. So I just wondered why he'd buy a 9.6 when he can have a 9.8 a couple months later. I'm not looking down on him for it. Just wondering.

Wow, I didn't intend to cause a shatstorm and it loks like I shouldn't have gone to bed so early.

I guess my point was that naivety can cause people to buy 9.6s as opposed to 9.8s. I was fresh back to collecting then and got wrapped up in the whole RIP variant carp. I saw a couple of SS books on eBay signed by Tony Daniel and though 'ooh I bet they're rare' (naivety #1) and bought the 9.6s as they were cheaper than the 9.8s.

I thought they'd hold their value (naivety #2) and didn't realise the hype over these books would die off pretty much as quick as it had started (naivety #3). My problem was I didn't understand the market then, but realised later that if I had waited I could have the books up in a 9.8 for the same price.

I'm happy with the 9.6s, I have no urge to go and 'upgrade' them to 9.8s. I say 'upgrade' as personally I can't tell the difference between the 9.6s and 9.8s I've submitted to CGC in the past.

I know that probably hasn't clarified anything and is as clear as mud but there you go :grin:

(thumbs u nope, you cleared it up just fine. You didn't have a complete understanding of that market when you got into and bought the 9.6's vs the 9.8's b/c they were cheaper. Makes perfect sense.

Who in the world thinks that every comic that has a 9.6 copy available will find a 9.8 in the same price range???

My philosophy (and Valiantman might can explain it better) is that I buy 9.6 slabs when I can find them for the cost of a raw 9.2-9.4 book plus the cost of slabbing and shipping, or lower.

Take Rai #3 for example. It's around the $20 mark currently in guides I trust. And, looking at my past breakdown of modern CGC books that aren't over-the-top expensive and/or in high-grade, it cost me an average of $22 to slab my books and ship them to CGC and back. So, my "current buying price" (were I buying) would be $40-45 dollars (or lower) for a Rai #3.

If anyone can find a 9.8 of Rai #3 for $45, let me know.

;)

-slym