• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I just don't understand the modern 9.6 collector

174 posts in this topic

Would she be wearing MC hammer like pants to get that slab down there?

Dear God. I'm actually young and dumb enough to admit I owned pants like that. I believe they were called Skidz. :sick:

Skidz were on the inside right lol

That depends on how hard you did the Hammer dance. I have heard stories (never happened to me of course) that if you Hammer-danced too hard, you would forcefully expel your bowels, which is how they came up with the name. Of course that's just what I heard.

Dear God. I'm actually young and dumb enough to admit I owned pants like that. I believe they were called Skidz. :sick:

That depends on how hard you did the Hammer dance. I have heard stories (never happened to me of course) that if you Hammer-danced too hard, you would forcefully expel your bowels, which is how they came up with the name. Of course that's just what I heard.

Well, it would explain why the pants were so baggy. :sick:

A little bird told me you know exactly why those pants were so baggy Andy.

hm

Let's turn it around:

I just don't understand the modern 9.8 collector.

The desire to have a copy of "the best" available? (shrug)

Define "the best."

The "best" as defined by 3 preliminary graders and 1 senior grader in some magical land named Sarasota :headbang:

No, that's an assumption based on an opinion, not a definition.

I'd say that qualifies as a definition of his perception of the best.

If you had Scarlett Jo shove an ASM 55 CGC 9.0 down her pants, that would be my definition of "the best" copy available.

No need. There'd be plenty of room anyway. :eek:

A little bird told me you know exactly why those pants were so baggy Andy.

You're thinking of greggy.

Tricky-trousers-Dom-Joly--005.jpg

hm

Let's turn it around:

Who are these people that buy 9.8 slabs of modern books?

Yes, they cost more than 9.6, but at least with 9.6 you usually have a great looking book for typically less than what it costs to slab a comic (especially on eBay).

Why not just buy a 9.6 which basically looks the same as a 9.8 for less money?

Hey, if someone wants to put together a great 9.8 collection of 1980's comics, good for them ........ I just don't understand the reasoning.*

*Waits patiently for the inevitable poll to solve this great dilemma.

There are too many words in this post, so I skipped it.

:foryou:

Everyone want to know the real, God's honest truth of the situation?

10 years ago today, you could have had two collectors, both rabid Spiderman fans, standing at a dealer table at a summer convention. There are two copies of Amazing #300 for sale, both in superb condition, both priced at $50 (going retail at the time.)

Collector A buys one copy for $50.

Collector B buys the other copy for $50.

They're both HAPPY. They have both filled a hole in their collection, probably a big one, and they walk away extremely satisfied the both of them.

Neither collector is among the TINY, INFINITESIMALLY small niche of collectors who can tell the minute differences between super high grades at the time, and they certainly don't care, because it just didn't matter.

Fast forward 3 years. The Spidey movie comes out, and both collectors, still being friends, think "hey, wouldn't it be cool to get our Spidey #300s graded?"

So they do. Nothing about the books has changed in the interim.

Collector B's comes back 9.8. The other comes back 9.6.

Collector B is DELIGHTED. Collector A is disappointed.

Same books that they were equally happy with just three short years prior.

Now, it's a "I have a 9.8, I'm better than you-ouuuuuu. I'm a better collector than you, I'm richer than you, and I rule!, neener, neener, neeeeener" and a "9.6? That's all this is? A lousy 9.6?" world.

And truly...that's a shame.

And why? Because now we have developed a way to highlight those minute physical differnces in a way that the unwashed masses can easily understand.

The people who drive up prices on 9.8s, and turn their noses in disgust at 9.6s (strictly moderns, here, but the idea translates, at lower numbers, across the ages) simply have no concept how LITTLE difference there is between these quarter grades...or if they do, they just don't care. The only thing that matters is the number in the upper right hand.

Personally? And I say this as someone who supports grading 100%. who finally felt vindicated afte a decade of being scorned and chastised for picking out "the best books", who has benefitted financially from that "gotta have it" 9.8 mentality...I'm not so sure we weren't better off in 1999....

If you had Scarlett Jo shove an ASM 55 CGC 9.0 down her pants, that would be my definition of "the best" copy available.

Is this the copy you own?

Does that qualify as a Pedigree?

hm

Let's turn it around:

The desire to have a copy of "the best" available? (shrug)

Define "the best."

The "best" as defined by 3 preliminary graders and 1 senior grader in some magical land named Sarasota :headbang:

No, that's an assumption based on an opinion, not a definition.

I'd say that qualifies as a definition of his perception of the best.

I was thinking the same thing.... hm

Surely it can't be THAT cavernous....

Is this the copy you own?

Does that qualify as a Pedigree?

Doubt it. It's had hundreds of previous owners.

Oh, sorry. You meant the book. doh!

For the record, so I maintain SOME sort of intellectual integrity, I've purchased precisely TWO CGC 9.8s in 9 years.

A Hulk #340 that ended up about $100 off recent GPA (which I then flipped...for a net profit of $14. Ooops) and an Evil Ernie #2 from Rich Henn a couple weeks ago that I thought was very nicely priced.

Thass it. Otherwise, I don't support the madness by buying into the game.