• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I just don't understand the modern 9.6 collector

174 posts in this topic

Who are these people that buy 9.6 slabs of modern books?

Yes, they cost less than 9.8, but at least with 9.8 you usually have the highest graded book (at least until that 9.9 shows up one day).

Why not just buy a 9.4 which basically looks the same as a 9.6 for less money?

Hey, if someone wants to put together a great 9.6 collection of 1980's comics, good for them ........ I just don't understand the reasoning.

I have loads of modern 9.6s. Could've sworn they were 9.8s when I subbed them meh

If people are willing to buy them I'm running a sales thread.

Why buy 9.8s? They look almost identical to 9.6s, and yet cost 3-10 times more. Especially moderns, a 9.9 or 10.0 will show up sooner or later, and the "thrill" of owning an over-priced no-longer-census topper goes down the drain when your $400 purchase becomes worth $60 overnight.

:makepoint:

-slym (why collect "slabs" at all, then?) ;)

I think a 9.6 is near perfect. A 9.4 usually has a visible flaw. The question to me is there really a difference between a 9.6 & 9.8 or 9.9 book? (shrug)

Just buy the book, not the label.

I have loads of modern 9.6s. Could've sworn they were 9.8s when I subbed them meh

:roflmao:

I was reffering to people that actively sought them out to purchase, not people who were hoping for 9.8 and came up a bit short

You could use this argument for any grade and any era. Why not buy 9.4 SA instead of 9.6, when the top census copy is a 9.8? Why not buy 9.2s or 9.0s, instead of 9.4s, etc...

Does it make any more sense to buy a SA 9.4 for triple the price of the 9.2, when the 9.4 is the third best copy?

Why buy 9.8s? They look almost identical to 9.6s, and yet cost 3-10 times more. Especially moderns, a 9.9 or 10.0 will show up sooner or later, and the "thrill" of owning an over-priced no-longer-census topper goes down the drain when your $400 purchase becomes worth $60 overnight.

:makepoint:

-slym (why collect "slabs" at all, then?) ;)

I agree with this 100%

That is one of the reasons I don't buy post-1983 books in 9.8 ..... because most books after that will eventually have a 9.9 on the census

The other reason is that they are just too common (or on their way to becoming common)

Depending on what book ??

IF it's a snob appeal thing, then by all means spend the money.

If you need a book for your collection, then spend the money as is wise.

If you want to read a book, what the f are you buying a slab ?

And I also wonder if Cal has actually ever read IMSM ?

I've bought some modern 9.6's because 9.8's were at least 3X the price and looked just as nice. Some of these books I purchase with the idea I will sell them later down the road. I would think there will be customers for key books in 9.6 with White pages.

I think a 9.6 is near perfect. A 9.4 usually has a visible flaw. The question to me is there really a difference between a 9.6 & 9.8 or 9.9 book? (shrug)

Just buy the book, not the label.

(thumbs u

I bought a couple of RIP variants 9.6 SS when they were 'hot'. The 9.8s were three/four times the price.

You can now get the 9.8 SS for the same price I paid for the 9.6s months ago. Even 'hot' books 9.8 prices will drop if the demand isn't there. It's always best to wait out on moderns and the 9.8 price will drop eventually.

You could use this argument for any grade and any era. Why not buy 9.4 SA instead of 9.6, when the top census copy is a 9.8? Why not buy 9.2s or 9.0s, instead of 9.4s, etc...

Does it make any more sense to buy a SA 9.4 for triple the price of the 9.2, when the 9.4 is the third best copy?

That's the point I was getting at in my mock-post above.

:golfclap:

-slym

Depending on what book ??

IF it's a snob appeal thing, then by all means spend the money.

If you need a book for your collection, then spend the money as is wise.

If you want to read a book, what the f are you buying a slab ?

And I also wonder if Cal has actually ever read IMSM ?

That's an interesting question. :popcorn:

-slym

The difference is that there is a FINITE SUPPLY of silver age books in 9.0, 9.2, 9.4, etc. So buying at a certain grade level (i.e. silver age 9.2) means your book has a certain "status" so to speak.

But there is an almost UNLIMITED potential supply of potential 9.6 modern books if it was financially feasable to submit them (which it is usually not).

It is beyond ridiculous to assume that "most books after 1983 will eventually have a 9.9 on the census."

As it stands now, that's lunacy. Perhaps....maybe....as many as 1% of all post 1983 books will eventually have a 9.9 or 10 on the census. And that's a HUGE maybe.

Choose any random 100 books on the census, and none of them will EVER see a 9.9 or 10. For every ONE book with a 9.9 or 10, I can give you 100 without.

Thor #347?

Amazing Spiderman #256?

Crisis on Infinite Earths #11?

Albedo #4?

GI Joe #152?

Strangers in Paradise #3?

Harbinger #4?

Fables #16?

House of M #7?

The list goes on on and on and on...

The most submitted book of all time, Wolverine Ltd #1, with 5,373 copies submitted has 13 9.9s, and two 10s.

And this is a book that was saved by the caseload the second they arrived from the printer.

The second most submitted book, Amazing Spiderman #300, with 5,284, has a single 9.9. Just one. Out of 5,284 subbed.

No, the odds are so stacked against there being 9.9s and 10s for any random post 1983 book that I'd bet against it a million times. And if we're talking 1983-2002, forget it even more.

The only thing that would change this was a radical loosening of grading standards.

-slym

The difference is that there is a FINITE SUPPLY of silver age books in 9.0, 9.2, 9.4, etc. So buying at a certain grade level (i.e. silver age 9.2) means your book has a certain "status" so to speak.

But there is an almost UNLIMITED potential supply of potential 9.6 modern books if it was financially feasable to submit them (which it is usually not).

This logic is so poor, I don't even know where to start.

I have almost stopped buying 9.8's. I am instead concentrating on buying nice looking books, regardless of assigned grade. Especially key bronze and some copper.

There just ain't that much difference between 9.8 and 8.5 to warrant the extra money. As silly as this sounds, it is a better investment IMO to buy the keys and semi-keys in lower grade. Because down the road, they will be the only books most collectors can actually afford, when they want one of those keys.

Sure, an FF 112 in 9.8 will garner big bucks, but how much do you have to pay for it now? How likely is the chance that you will get your moeny back ten years down the road? How many people will be able to afford, or want to buy, an FF 112, Hulk 181 or Green Lantern 76 for 10-40K. There will be many buyers for those books in the several hundred dollar to two grand ball park. It is maximizing profit. Put in less and triple up, many times over. Or you can buy the very best of any of these for a lot and make a 10% profit in four or five years.

I defy anyone to explain the logic behind paying multiples for 9.8 moderns, when 9.6 moderns are just as nice.

Except for that bragging rights thingy.

CGC needs to make some slab adjustments or a lot of current 9.8's will be 9.6's after they are sold and shipped and such anyway.

Okay. I'm done.

I have almost stopped buying 9.8's. I am instead concentrating on buying nice looking books, regardless of assigned grade. Especially key bronze and some copper.

There just ain't that much difference between 9.8 and 8.5 to warrant the extra money. As silly as this sounds, it is a better investment IMO to buy the keys and semi-keys in lower grade. Because down the road, they will be the only books most collectors can actually afford, when they want one of those keys.

Sure, an FF 112 in 9.8 will garner big bucks, but how much do you have to pay for it now? How likely is the chance that you will get your moeny back ten years down the road? How many people will be able to afford, or want to buy, an FF 112, Hulk 181 or Green Lantern 76 for 10-40K. There will be many buyers for those books in the several hundred dollar to two grand ball park. It is maximizing profit. Put in less and triple up, many times over. Or you can buy the very best of any of these for a lot and make a 10% profit in four or five years.

I defy anyone to explain the logic behind paying multiples for 9.8 moderns, when 9.6 moderns are just as nice.

Except for that bragging rights thingy.

CGC needs to make some slab adjustments or a lot of current 9.8's will be 9.6's after they are sold and shipped and such anyway.

Okay. I'm done.

(worship)