• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Darwyn Cooke

33 posts in this topic

I think Darwyn Cooke is one of the premier storytellers working in comics today. In my mind, he's near the level of guys like Chris Ware, David Mazzuchelli, Daniel Clowes, etc. His new "Parker" graphic novel (based on Donald Westlake novel) is getting a lot of buzz.

However, I really wish he would create his own characters and step away from writing characters created by others. Of course he can do whatever he wants, but I'm hoping that for at least one major project, he will develop his own concepts.

Any thoughts?

New Frontier is exactly why I want to see Cooke do some of his own concepts. He demonstrated tremendous characterization and storytelling in that series. On one hand, it's a great project and on the other, I find myself wishing they were his own characters.

Is this guy a writer or artist? (or both?) That New Frontiers art looks a little Steve Rude-ish (also looks a little like the animated JLA series on Cartoon Network).

Nice looking stuff. I'm not a DC guy, but it looks good.

Is this guy a writer or artist? (or both?) That New Frontiers art looks a little Steve Rude-ish (also looks a little like the animated JLA series on Cartoon Network).

Nice looking stuff. I'm not a DC guy, but it looks good.

New Frontier is basically a love-letter to 1950s DC comics and an elongated origin of the Justice League. But beyond that, it's a great story with great art and is well-worth reading. It's the only Absolute edition I own and I'm a DC guy.

As for Cooke, himself, I think he has an established career in advertising art, which likely pays better than funny-books. Nonetheless, I'd love to see more work from him, either as an artist or writer-artist.

I dropped the Spirit about six issues after Cooke left - it wasn't anywhere near as good - though Jordi Bernet did a nice cover on one of the issues.

Is the Parker book out? I'd probably buy it even if Cooke wasn't doing it.

I believe the Parker GN will be out this week according to my LCS. (thumbs u Did anyone read the issue of Jonah Hex he drew last year? It was sweet!!

I met Darwyn last year in San Diego. He was a very friendly and genuine guy.

Parker Book 1 - The Hunter is out this week.

He is a full time comics pro --- he did do advertising jobs for a while, then worked for Warner Bros. Animation on shows like Batman Beyond (the opening sequence is all Cooke) and Men in Black. Switched to comics with the publication of Batman: Ego, Wolverine/Doop, Spider-Man's Tangled Web and eventually DC The New Frontier and the Spirit.

Upcoming work after Parker includes Jonah Hex 50 and the next Parker book, and something else which should be announced this week in San Diego.

Look for Cooke at the IDW booth in San Diego this week signing copies of The Hunter. A limited edition signed and numbered with a dustjacket version of the Hunter will be available at the IDW booth while supplies last.