• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How many of you have all of your OA on the wall?

48 posts in this topic

I'm a comic OA collector but both my wife and I enjoy collecting fine art, mostly from local artists. We have paintings on every wall of the house -- even in our garage -- but not comic OA.

Why?

Because only one of us loves comic OA!

Bronty, you know, I don't frame much for that very reason: cost. The few pieces of art that I own weren't that expensive, but the frames certainly would be. At some point I'll break down and get a few more framed, but for now, I'd rather spend that money on comics, not frames. (I often find myself doing the same for all collectibles and supplies...why spend on supplies when I can get more of the collectibles I like so much.)

bah if it not OA use thumbtacks

lol

:lol:

Just the thought of that makes me sick to my stomach.

Why? Does grade and condition matter that much in OA, if the defects don't affect the image area or threaten the integrity of the piece? I find it amusing how the comic collector's obsession with grade gets transferred over to comic OA.

Oil paintings often have staples or nails in the canvas to stretch them out on the frame. Seems no better or worse than putting tacks into art board. (shrug)

Right now I have one piece of OA that used to be framed but the glass was broken when we had the pipes replaced in the house and my ex-Mother-In-Law had to clear out my computer room. The piece was put up on some boxes and when it came time to get it back up on the wall... busted. The art was OK so I wasn't too broken up about it.

After the divorce (not because of that). I haven't had the piece re-framed. I got on Brandon Peterson's commission list so I'll wait and get both done at once.

I have two con sketches from Matt Wagner. One is framed and the other isn't.

I think it is just laziness on getting stuff framed for me. I am sequestered to one room but I'm not broken up about it. The other art that I have around the house wouldn't really go well with comic-centric art (like my Luke Cage with a Pimp Cane). Maybe if I started getting creative with some commissions but not right now.

I'm a comic OA collector but both my wife and I enjoy collecting fine art, mostly from local artists. We have paintings on every wall of the house -- even in our garage -- but not comic OA.

Why?

Because only one of us loves comic OA!

This is the thought I had with regards to my home. My interests are varied, so are my wife's and my 3 kids. Besides comic related items, hanging around the house are numerous family and kid pictures, drawings by kids, large photo prints (favorite is Central Park NYC), art prints (favorite is Dali), patchwork from India, and, some diplomas right in front of me.

I currently have 17 pieces up on the walls and have plans to add 4 more. After that, no more. I'm out of wall space.

I'm also trying REALLY hard to only buy things that I want to frame. I wouldn't be surprised if I start clearing out the pieces in my portfolios sooner than later.

I just had a little mental count to see where I stood. As I recall, I have a little under 70 pieces framed and on the various walls throughout the house. Mostly comic, or comic related artwork, with some non-comics work, and a couple prints mixed in for good measure.

I've probably got another dozen or so pieces that are either as-yet unframed, or in the "to go" pile. The house is a bit of a work-in-progress, as I've been trying to tighten up the collection a little, and I am re-painting one room that will allow it to house some art currently in another room.

So that puts me in the realm of 85-ish% I guess.

The final result will be a museum-like collection of pieces in each of our rooms. Usually with i focal piece, and a theme or thread that runs throughout the others. For example: the 7 pieces in our formal dining room are all Sandman art. They are limited to one wall apiece, which are separated by doors and windows. No piece hangs next to another. No piece is jammed onto a little bit of wall. Everything has visual room. All are in dark black frames of styles befitting the piece. All (with the exception of the two paintings) have the same color top mat and all look supremely suited to the flavor of the room where they hang. The focal piece is on the longest wall with wall sconces on either side above the sideboard.

The rest of the dining room is perfectly normal and color coordinated, with a sleek dark table, sideboard and light fixtures that match look of the frames & mats. It all gels as a whole & we supremely dig it.

If I remember to, I'll snap some pics of it later on.

I'm not up on a soapbpx, trying to say that my way is THE way. Just sharing how I am living with my art, and that it really really changed my view of my collection and made me truly evaluate everything in it. Especially once I examined my feelings on every piece I once had (in the hundreds) and now what I currently am down to. It was liberating in a way.

-e.