• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why do SOME board members come across as rude or mean

Why are some people rude and insensitive on these boards   

384 members have voted

1. 1. Why are some people rude and insensitive on these boards

265 posts in this topic

Trey,

I'm kind of new myself, compared to many, and when I first started I thought there was a lot of rudeness here myself. After a while I realized I was mistaken and most of it was good natured ribbing. It’s sometimes hard for me to recognize tone and intent in the typewritten word even if it’s accompanied by smiley icons and such.

To be sure, tempers can flare and egos may arise, but a lot of that is due to the fact that many boardees here know each other quite well and they are not constrained by mere polite acquaintance. In my own personal relationships some of my closest friends are the ones I feel comfortable enough to argue and disagree with, if you know what I mean.

Rule 62 goes a long way around here.

Cheers,

David

Why do a select few of the board members constantly try and start arguing and or insulting others in the forums on here? I mean is there not a rule that says politley point something out to the poster??????? Simple truth no one likes a Smart ARSE comment .

So the poll is this vote for the reason you think SOME people do it

If you pay attention you would notice that it is usually warranted. A knee jerk reaction by one impatient member, or a comment that has no place on the boards needs to be put in it's place.

Why do a select few of the board members constantly try and start arguing and or insulting others in the forums on here? I mean is there not a rule that says politley point something out to the poster??????? Simple truth no one likes a Smart ARSE comment .

So the poll is this vote for the reason you think SOME people do it

If you pay attention you would notice that it is usually warranted. A knee jerk reaction by one impatient member, or a comment that has no place on the boards needs to be put in it's place.

Thats great Joey,love the small jabs :signfunny:

Trey you are opening yourself up to this,we are just like a shark to raw meat.Get over it,get a thicker skin.It's all good fun to rib a noob,just dont be such a person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed bag :jokealert:

Oh yeah and I have big hands and fingures thats why I have a hard time hitting the correct spellings sometimes and why take the time to run spell check Do you honestly think people really care if one or two words are mispelled on a blog . Simple no they don't unless your blogging to someone who might hire you or in a professional topic

I don't know where to begin in telling you how wrong this is...but I'll try.

In real life, with face-to-face communication, you have many tools at your disposal beyond the words themselves. Tone, inflection, pauses, facial expressions, body language...they all help to convey your thoughts precisely, ensuring that there's no misunderstanding.

Here you have one medium...the written word...and you need to use it precisely and correctly or else your message will be misconstrued or ignored entirely. To do any less runs the risk of you being considered illiterate, a bit of a , or too lazy to be arsed doing it right. Your choice.

As for your complaints, you really need to grow a pair. This is a long-standing community that seems to function extremely well as it is. For a noob to come on here and tell us we're all out of order is inordinately rich, especially when that noob has already managed to get himself a strike for not following board protocol. doh!

Some advice, should you wish to take it and stick around...

Spend your first few months here listening and getting a feel for the place. Post occasionally when you have something relevant and informative to add to a topic.

Do not start a thread every time a thought pops into your head. I've got over 18,000 posts and if I've started more than a couple of dozen threads in General, I'll be surprised.

Acquaint yourself with board guidelines.

The 'search' function is your best friend. :cloud9:

Do not complain about the posters on here or the overall community. You've so far given nothing to it and your opinions have little stock until you've established yourself.

Do not whine like a little girl about how you're being treated. What you've received so far has been small beer in comparison to many. I'd also suggest that you've deserved most of it.

Now back to our regular programming. (thumbs u

Well, I can't speak for every example, but in your specific instance Trey, it would probably be because you've managed to take longer than 99% of sellers in the marketplace at picking up on the fact that there are actual rules in place, and that the Marketplace is a self-policed forum.

A hint for your future endeavours here; if people - that's "people" as in the plural of "person" - tell you that you're breaking the rules, you should probably stop doing what they're trying to get you to stop doing.

And learn to spell and write like an adult. For God's sake, the forum is a place of written expression. Writing poorly is a direct indictment on you, as we have no other way of forming an opinion of you until you show up at a convention or forum dinner

Well, I can't speak for every example, but in your specific instance Trey, it would probably be because you've managed to take longer than 99% of sellers in the marketplace at picking up on the fact that there are actual rules in place, and that the Marketplace is a self-policed forum.

A hint for your future endeavours here; if people - that's "people" as in the plural of "person" - tell you that you're breaking the rules, you should probably stop doing what they're trying to get you to stop doing.

And learn to spell and write like an adult. For God's sake, the forum is a place of written expression. Writing poorly is a direct indictment on you, as we have no other way of forming an opinion of you until you show up at a convention or forum dinner

This 'r' so true. I <3 possum.

This 'r' so true. I <3 possum.

I knewd it :insane:

After that salvo, this is destined to end in tears. :cry:

By my standards, I thought I was being restrained and constructive? (shrug)

The noobs don't know that. :gossip:

Well, that can be Point 7. that they have to learn. :sumo:

This is true. When you get wound up it's like watching porcupines have sex. Someone's getting screwed, it's painful to watch, but a good time is being had by all. (thumbs u