• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would you call this Amazing Spider-man 252 a Color Error Variant?

21 posts in this topic

Hello All,

Just got my comics back from CGC.. after a long.. long wait. They sent me one back which i do not quite agree with.. I have it listed up on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=270431013229

As I said in the listing.. I do believe it is a color error or printing mistake.. but CGC did not recognize it as that...

I have sent Howard the Duck issue 6 Color errors in and have gotten back Green Qualified Grades on it.. for an error in printing..

What do you folks think? Should CGC given this as a Qualified Color Error?

thanks,

Frank :insane:

Since CGC "doesn't grade against manufacturer defects" I would think it should be in a blue label.

And please, please, please dont take this question as me being smart assed... but why would you want the green label? I thought they were notorius for lowering value.

Since CGC "doesn't grade against manufacturer defects" I would think it should be in a blue label.

Good point.

And please, please, please dont take this question as me being smart assed... but why would you want the green label? I thought they were notorius for lowering value.

I am only guessing and not answering for him, but I'm assuming he'd rather have any label with the real grade (9.x I'd guess) than the 6.0.

-slym

Well.. Actually I was looking for verification that it is a color variation.. I think it is , and it is the only one I have ever seen.. so i would think it is rare. The only way that I could think of verifying this is for CGC to recognize the color error, by listing it on the Label and assigning it as a Qualified Grade.. That is what they have always done for my color variations I have sent in to be graded.. such as Howard the Duck issue 6 ( 2 copies ) I sent in, and The Cat Issue 1 that I have sent in...

Well for Example:

http://www.cgccomics.com/census/grades_standard.asp?title=Fantastic+Four&publisher=Marvel+Comics&issue=110&year=1971&issuedate=5%2F71

This link shows Census information for the Famous Color Error Variant of Fantastic Four issue 110 , which CGC tracks. I was hoping they would set something up similar on the Census for this comic. I believe that any Green Color Variant that you send into CGC would be in the Qualified Green Slab. Because of the Color Error.

It looks like it could very well be exposure to artificial light damage.

But it seems that only the sky-background colour is affected. The Marvel box over on the left side seems totally un-affected, as well as the black outline around the words in the title and the bit of art (the building) aren't faded in any way.

(shrug)

-slym

It is a printing error. But these one-off errors don't seem to garner much interest. They just seem to be too unique for anyone to go after. There are exceptions of course, like that white Amazing Spider-Man 375. The Fantastic Four was a mass printing defect, such that it is collected.

There are a ton of examples over at StL, but I think you have been over there too.

Well for Example:

http://www.cgccomics.com/census/grades_standard.asp?title=Fantastic+Four&publisher=Marvel+Comics&issue=110&year=1971&issuedate=5%2F71

This link shows Census information for the Famous Color Error Variant of Fantastic Four issue 110 , which CGC tracks. I was hoping they would set something up similar on the Census for this comic. I believe that any Green Color Variant that you send into CGC would be in the Qualified Green Slab. Because of the Color Error.

But the FF # 110 wasn't a one-off error - there were hundreds (thousands?) of them printed.

Since CGC "doesn't grade against manufacturer defects"

But they do.

Other color variants have received Green Labels, and CGC has publicly stated that any color variant identified prior to CGC would not come under this (due to hobby acceptance, like Venom #1 Black) any NEWLY DISCOVERED color defects would be placed in a GLOD.

This all came up due to several USM issues with color defects that were sold in GLODs, and forum members posted a thread about it.

I believe that any Green Color Variant that you send into CGC would be in the Qualified Green Slab. Because of the Color Error.

Nope, and as I outlined above, CGC allows a "grandfather rule" with color defects that were ID'ed and collected prior to CGC's entrance into the market, but any similar book that is subsequently identified will be given a GLOD.

Since CGC "doesn't grade against manufacturer defects"

But they do.

Other color variants have received Green Labels, and CGC has publicly stated that any color variant identified prior to CGC would not come under this (due to hobby acceptance, like Venom #1 Black) any NEWLY DISCOVERED color defects would be placed in a GLOD.

This all came up due to several USM issues with color defects that were sold in GLODs, and forum members posted a thread about it.

That's why I put it in quotes, because I've read here on the boards that CGC doesn't count against MFG defects, but there are many instances where this is found, such as some of the X-men books that were issued with holograms on the cover, but issues that were distributed without the hologram (mfg defect) were given the GLOD.

I believe that any Green Color Variant that you send into CGC would be in the Qualified Green Slab. Because of the Color Error.

Nope, and as I outlined above, CGC allows a "grandfather rule" with color defects that were ID'ed and collected prior to CGC's entrance into the market, but any similar book that is subsequently identified will be given a GLOD.

Well, based on your criteria, one can infer that this color defect has been known and collected before CGC started up.

I have never seen this one before. Has anyone else?

Or maybe CGC didn't deem it significant enough for the GLOD.

There are plenty of other issues with weird and random color defects at the top bar, and none of these are ID'd as variants and are also given Blue labels.

It looks like it could very well be exposure to artificial light damage.

But it seems that only the sky-background colour is affected. The Marvel box over on the left side seems totally un-affected, as well as the black outline around the words in the title and the bit of art (the building) aren't faded in any way.

(shrug)

-slym

occasionally, sun fading will not affect all color ink in the same exact way. I have sun faded books that are only faded in the lighter shades, whereas the darker shades proved more colorfast.

I do not know, and have not seen the book in person to tell for sure. I am only advancing a hypothesis.