• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help grading an FF8 and Annual 2.

14 posts in this topic

Hi Folks,

A pal of mine asked me to post these for your opinions. I have my own, but wanted to see how close my grading came to those of the board members. I have here scans for the front of FF8 alone, and the front and back of FF Annual #2. Both appear unrestored to me. They have been in his collection for a long time....over 15 years. Thanks, Brad

FF8.jpg

FF annual2f.jpg

FF annual2r.jpg

the FF#8 is quite nice to behold, but i think there's enough little stuff (stress lines, beat up around the staples, the whole overflash, etc., to get it down to the 6.5 - 7.0 range.

the annual looks VERY nice on the front but that dirt on the right edge of the rear cover pulls it down to the 7.5 - 8.0 range. IMO........

i'm gonna have to post some of my raw books to see if i'd be as critical of my own property. (said another way, would i conclude as the buyer that these graded 6.5 and 7.5 and as the seller 7.0 and 8.0...........). it'll be interesting to see. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Thanks for everyone's input so far. I think the annual would go 8.0 because CGC seem like they are forgiving of back cover problems. The #8 is really nice when you see it....structurally it is very tight and has some nice gloss left which doesn't show in the scan. I might bump it to a 7.5.

The 8 was purchased in 1982 for $80 at a con in NYC. My friend couldn't go so he gave me some money to spend for him and that's what I brought back. Anyone remember a dealer named Ed Tonna?

By the way, that Orange, Green and Grey color motif of the #8 makes it one of the more striking FF covers, I believe.

and as i was checking out the CPG board earlier today, i ran into the ID's Danny Kupcak AND Hammer . i have no idea who they really were but someone jumped on Hammer's note regarding somone else's dumb alphabet auction, with this reply;

Hey hammer, what does C-R-I-M-E D-O-E-S N-O-T- P-A-Y, spell??? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Ace, if you can, post yours......be fun to compare.

After scanning I see mine is but a F- (5.5).

Those tiny marvel chips don't really show themselves while holding the book in your hand much, but scans don't lie. frown.gif

Well at least my scans don't because I don't "help" them. makepoint.gif

360072-FF8.jpg.4624d64ef7235fe4fccc2354b9b45acf.jpg