• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Solomon Kane movie

51 posts in this topic

Yeah, I've seen that picture and drool every time. Great stuff. Amazing how expensive those books are. I did a quick search on abe.com and the cheapest I saw was $750. I'm sure they can be found for a little less, but wow.

Any idea what the original selling price was on these Wandering Star books?

I forget how much SToSK was originally, $395 maybe?. The Conan's were $200. The third Conan volume is finally coming out later this year also with a $200 price tag. Ironically it won't be the true first as the Delrey version has already come out. doh!

If you are book collector and fan of Howard, then I think $200 is a fair price for these, as they are gorgeous books and are now considered to be the definitive collections of Howard's works. The price tag on the SK is pretty steep though. I finally shelled out the bucks (a bit less the abe-books price you quoted), but it was because I got it from Gary Gianni and he did this awesome sketch on the first page. I was paying for this as much as the book itself.

SolomonKane04sm.jpg

That sketch is worth the price of admission, no question. Fantastic pick up.

Although I consider myself a book collector, I'm yet to take the leap to spending lots of cash. Just like comics, I tend to buy new books to read instead of old books to collect. My collection has grown rapidly that way, but I don't have first editions or quality versions of the books I love. Instead, I have 100s of books you can find on bargain tables practically for free.

I've been telling myself I'd much rather switch that up and collect old ERB books (and now REH) and comics in HG instead of buying willy nilly. Why not borrow from the library or buy from used shops and then upgrade those few books that I really want. I mean, a $200 edition like the ones you've shown would be cooler than 10 hardcovers I don't care so much about.

Good grief, I have issues. :lol:

Although I consider myself a book collector, I'm yet to take the leap to spending lots of cash. Just like comics, I tend to buy new books to read instead of old books to collect. My collection has grown rapidly that way, but I don't have first editions or quality versions of the books I love. Instead, I have 100s of books you can find on bargain tables practically for free.

I've been telling myself I'd much rather switch that up and collect old ERB books (and now REH) and comics in HG instead of buying willy nilly. Why not borrow from the library or buy from used shops and then upgrade those few books that I really want. I mean, a $200 edition like the ones you've shown would be cooler than 10 hardcovers I don't care so much about.

Clearly we all have issues or we wouldn't obsess over our silly little four color pamphlets. :D

So far I've resisted the urge to start collecting the ERB firsts, because I know it's a slippery slope. Some time you should check out BangZoom's thread in the GA forum - he has an amazing collection of ERB McClurg firsts.

Don't forget there's also the pulps, and that goes for ERB as well as REH. This is Solomon Kane's first appearance in print (thanks to bronzilla for this one):

WT8-28fc.jpg

Remember the real value is in the story. Nice hardovers look good on the shelf but the words inside are the same. Its the story that holds the magic.

Remember the real value is in the story. Nice hardovers look good on the shelf but the words inside are the same. Its the story that holds the magic.

That's why I have the Delrey reprints as well. In fact I'm reading the Horror Stories of REH right now. (thumbs u

Nail on the head, Shootydog.

My current plan (I'll admit to changing my plans at a rapid clip) are to read the Dark Horse comics while reading the same stories at the same time (since they're telling REH stories instead of original). All the while I'll catch up on the Marvel runs via trade (DH is reproducing Kane and Kull stories). From there, I'll hunt down the editions (firsts, pulps, or HG Marvels) I like most that won't put a major hurting my on wallet. Doing so allows me to read the stories I like and buying versions I can enjoy on the shelf.

I read the SK stories about 2 years ago in the great Del Rey trade.

Great stuff.

I enjoyed the conflicted Puritan concept.

JC is correct about H Knowles, too.

I read the SK stories about 2 years ago in the great Del Rey trade.

Great stuff.

I enjoyed the conflicted Puritan concept.

JC is correct about H Knowles, too.

Did you get to see the panel and trailer at SDCC? I trust your opinion a helluva lot more than Harry Knowles.

Nope, sorry man I didn't.

The character in the poster doesn't look like a Puritan who will kill you.

He looks like he will kill you, but not like a Puritan who will kill you.

lol My first thought when I heard it was going to be James Purefoy was that he was way too-good looking to be SK. Kane needs to be gaunt and thin-lipped, like a non-albino Elric. Purefoy was outstanding as Marc Antony in Rome though.

Here are a couple of post-SDCC articles about the SK panel.

IGN Article

Variety Article

As long as Hollywood casts high-kicking, sequin shirted, crybabies like Huge Jack-man to portray the most masculine character in Marvel's Universe then they'll never be able to make a REH movie.

Will Hollywood ever again allow a man like Clint Eastwood into its ranks?

No. Never again.

Hollywood can't understand REH's characters or his philosophy. He, they, and it are everything Hollywood finds appalling in the world. They only like REH because he is a name brand which means money.

I don't go to the movies anyway. I read stuff instead.

As long as Hollywood casts high-kicking, sequin shirted, crybabies like Huge Jack-man to portray the most masculine character in Marvel's Universe then they'll never be able to make a REH movie.

No. Never again.

Hollywood can't understand REH's characters or his philosophy. He, they, and it are everything Hollywood finds appalling in the world. They only like REH because he is a name brand which means money.

My hope though, is that even if the SK and Conan movies (and supposedly Bran Mak Morn too) bear little or no resemblance to REH's creations that hey will at least encourage new fans to seek out the original stories and read them. Maybe even some younger readers. Milius' Conan bore little resemblance to Howard's Conan, but I'm sure it sent many new young fans, myself included, looking for the stories (of course what they found was the "Conan Saga" by Bjorn Sprague de Carter, but that's another story :P )

No. Never again.

My hope though, is that even if the SK and Conan movies (and supposedly Bran Mak Morn too) bear little or no resemblance to REH's creations that hey will at least encourage new fans to seek out the original stories and read them.

Or to at least go play the video games.

:makepoint:

I saw the panel. I didn't know anything about this movie, but it intrigued me enough that I will see it.

Looks like a good sword and sorcery fantasy epic.

Thanks vacliff, that's that kind of input I was hoping for. (thumbs u

Here is post-SDCC interview with the director Michael Bassett and lead James Purefoy.

IGN Interview

I like these comments:

"I come from it from the literary side. I was aware of him from the short stories not the comic books, but it was the novellas I liked."

"Because I'd been asked by the producers to come up with an origin story and the objective absolutely is to get the characters to a place where the purer versions of Howard's stories can be told. We get into Africa and we get to do those fantastic, action-adventure fantasy pieces...."

So the sequel will hopefully be a composite of some of REH's actual stories like "Red Shadows" and "Hills of the Dead". :wishluck: