• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The OFFICIAL $100,000+ Auction & Sales Thread

149 posts in this topic

I don't think comics are influenced that much by foreign money, so the weakness in our currency has little effect.

Also, I don't think comics are influenced at all by the carry trade which would also take advantage of our weak dollar and low rates.

I would disagree with that. When the Pound was super strong, UK buyers were buying hand over fist (and rightfully so, because those who bought when it was around US$2=₤1 have done very well for themselves). Since then, they've definitely declined as a market force (of course, both phenomenons could also be because of the rise and fall of property values too).

Similarly, when the Euro really started breaking out a few years ago, ultra-HG Duck books, which are particularly popular with European collectors, exploded. When the Euro temporarily started to decline, demand seemed to dry up. Whether it picks up again with the recent climb of the Euro again, we shall have to wait and see.

Good info. Thanks for correcting...

What do mean when you say UK buyers were buying hand over fist. What were they buying? And are they still doing so? Hasn't the dollar hit fresh new lows recently?

I don't think comics are influenced that much by foreign money, so the weakness in our currency has little effect.

Also, I don't think comics are influenced at all by the carry trade which would also take advantage of our weak dollar and low rates.

I would disagree with that. When the Pound was super strong, UK buyers were buying hand over fist (and rightfully so, because those who bought when it was around US$2=₤1 have done very well for themselves). Since then, they've definitely declined as a market force (of course, both phenomenons could also be because of the rise and fall of property values too).

Similarly, when the Euro really started breaking out a few years ago, ultra-HG Duck books, which are particularly popular with European collectors, exploded. When the Euro temporarily started to decline, demand seemed to dry up. Whether it picks up again with the recent climb of the Euro again, we shall have to wait and see.

What do mean when you say UK buyers were buying hand over fist. What were they buying? And are they still doing so? Hasn't the dollar hit fresh new lows recently?

Unfortunately have to agree with Tim.

Bought a substantial amount at $2.

Sold a lot around $1.45

Currently $1.66

Comics have been a proxy for fx trading this year

I agree. But thats all changed IMO since stupid clunky Iron Man became a worldwide hit. Just as Spidey finally catapulted to Batman/Superman status once Avi and Ike were proven right when they convinced the Marvel Board that Spidey was a Billion $$ franchise in their hands.

I have to disagree with this a bit. This next statement will sound like fingernails on a chalkboard but it is true. Spiderman was popular but when McFarland took over the main book, he overcame mutants to become king of Marvel and thus more an equal to Batman. I would say that the reverse actually occurred, in that an increase in the popularity of the comic led to development of the movie.

I do agree with all the reasons that people keep private sales quiet and would like to add one more. People like to avoid riducule. Our hobby likes to bash anyone that sets a record. Whether you are paying 25000 for an Action 1 back in 1986 or paying 12,500 for a 9.9 NM 87 in 2009 there is a group of people that think you are insane, wasting money, and ruining the market. So, I don't blame anyone for keeping their purchases quiet.

Unfortunately have to agree with Tim.

Bought a substantial amount at $2.

Sold a lot around $1.45

Currently $1.66

Comics have been a proxy for fx trading this year

I only starting collecting again when Sterling had fallen :cry:

I agree. But thats all changed IMO since stupid clunky Iron Man became a worldwide hit. Just as Spidey finally catapulted to Batman/Superman status once Avi and Ike were proven right when they convinced the Marvel Board that Spidey was a Billion $$ franchise in their hands.

I have to disagree with this a bit. This next statement will sound like fingernails on a chalkboard but it is true. Spiderman was popular but when McFarland took over the main book, he overcame mutants to become king of Marvel and thus more an equal to Batman. I would say that the reverse actually occurred, in that an increase in the popularity of the comic led to development of the movie.

I do agree with all the reasons that people keep private sales quiet and would like to add one more. People like to avoid riducule. Our hobby likes to bash anyone that sets a record. Whether you are paying 25000 for an Action 1 back in 1986 or paying 12,500 for a 9.9 NM 87 in 2009 there is a group of people that think you are insane, wasting money, and ruining the market. So, I don't blame anyone for keeping their purchases quiet.

with the way Hollywood works, I have to disagree with you that the increased sales of the comic book had ANYThing to do with the movie being made. Spidey was already well known in Hollywood. But the rights were tied up a million ways from Sunday. Remember? Getting a film made took 20 years! But the interest was there in Hollywood since Stan first moved out there in the 70s. In fact, him selling the film rights initialy was what ultimately led to the delay, ads the rights were bought and transferred over and over again.

but aside from all that, I disagree that ANY increased cmic sales leads to ANY movie getting made. Once a character gets recognition, it lands on Hollywoods radar. And with all the roadblocks to getting a film made at all, NOBODY out there schedules a meeting with a studio to announce that "comic sales are up - - lets rush this sucker into production!"

And Hollywood is not a flock of mindless sheep led about by perceptions of public popularity. They are constantly scouring material looking for the next cool thing that can become the next "new" idea. SinCity and 300 are two examples of comic book movies that did well even though the original comic series were by no means house hold words. They see potential and develop it. The prices of those books aren't really even affected. ASM prices skyrocketed because the demand was already there in the collecting community. The movie just added a sense of urgency. While the TOS 39 sale is certainly notable, I wouldn't start comparing ASM to Iron Man just yet. Early TOS are much more scarce than ASM but the feeding frenzy just doesn't seem to be there like it was and is with ASM. Movie hype still really only affects those who do or once did collect comics. It may amplify existing trends but usually doesn't morph them into a new dynamic. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u