• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The OFFICIAL $100,000+ Auction & Sales Thread

149 posts in this topic

I thought I would start a thread on the $100,000+ auctions & sales.

To me these sales define a unique spectrum of the hobby, as these sales are reserved for the most respected and elite books. I've yet to see a $100k+ sale that wasn't for a key book. So thankfully jaw-dropping sales of such books as Spidey #55 won't make this list (...for now).

Clink has the Larson More Fun #52 9.2 which will surely break $100k.

The Windy City Captain America #1 8.5 has a fairly good chance as well I think.

Heritage has a AS #1 9.4 which might make it, but personally I really hate that water stain.

Please use this thread to discuss auctioning of $100k books or post actual sales.

Really? My apologies then.

No, you're fine.

I have a feeling he read the title and thought this was a sales thread.

ASM 1 should not be a 6 figure book in 9.4, which is not to say that it won't sell for that, I just don't think it should.

Sorry Andrew, I know you love the book :sorry:

lol No problem brother, but I respectfully disagree and always will. ASM 1 should be worth more than FF1, based on awesomeness. :baiting:

ASM 1 should not be a 6 figure book in 9.4, which is not to say that it won't sell for that, I just don't think it should.

Sorry Andrew, I know you love the book :sorry:

Actually, CC had an auction in March with the same grade, AS #1 9.4 OW/W, which went for $104,200. That's why I thought it had the potential to be another $100k+ sale.

lol No problem brother, but I respectfully disagree and always will. ASM 1 should be worth more than FF1, based on awesomeness. :baiting:

Err...it's not #1, it's #2, and features the first appearance of nobody worthwhile. ASM #1 is a canard that I kick myself for having the urge to buy just because I'm a completionist. As crappy as the Vulture is, #2 (#3) is more of a key than #1 (#2) since Chameleon is even crappier.

Err...it's not #1, it's #2, and features the first appearance of nobody worthwhile. ASM #1 is a canard that I kick myself for having the urge to buy just because I'm a completionist. As crappy as the Vulture is, #2 (#3) is more of a key than #2 since Chameleon is even crappier.

1st Appearance of the Flagship Title of Marvel Comics. I think people underestimate this all the time. I guess Superman #1 shouldn't be worth much considering it isn't his first appearance--heck! Not even his 2nd or 3rd appearance. And yet.... worth a small fortune even just for pieces of it.

1st issue of arguably Marvel's most popular title/character--works for me :shrug:

I guess Superman #1 shouldn't be worth much considering it isn't his first appearance--heck! Not even his 2nd or 3rd appearance.

It's worse than that! It's ENTIRELY a reprint. Value is completely due to the number on the front cover. :screwy:

1st Appearance of the Flagship Title of Marvel Comics. I think people underestimate this all the time.

1st issue of arguably Marvel's most popular title/character--works for me :shrug:

You appear to have this issue confused with Amazing Fantasy 15. :baiting:

Err...it's not #1, it's #2, and features the first appearance of nobody worthwhile. ASM #1 is a canard that I kick myself for having the urge to buy just because I'm a completionist. As crappy as the Vulture is, #2 (#3) is more of a key than #2 since Chameleon is even crappier.

JJJ is way more important than the Vulture, and it can be argued that he's one of Spidey's greatest adversaries. He's an extremely important character to the mythos, so if you're going just by first appearances, #1 is still more important than #2.

It may be the second Spidey story, but it's the first issue of Amazing Spider-Man, which is the most successful run in all of comics. There's a difference between a story and an issue.

The ASM #1>FF #1 thing was tongue-in-cheek.

1st Appearance of the Flagship Title of Marvel Comics. I think people underestimate this all the time.

By your logic, Strange Tales annual #2 is actually the 4th issue of Spidey. :baiting:

JJJ is way more important than the Vulture, and it can be argued that he's one of Spidey's greatest adversaries. He's an extremely important character to the mythos, so if you're going just by first appearances, #1 is still more important than #2.

This I'll agree with. #1 is still overvalued though. It also didn't enjoy the same level of insane price increases since 2007 that other major Marvel keys did, which tells me a number of people also agree it's not in the same league as the others. It definitely went up more than usual the last 2 years, but my recollection from analyzing this issue when I went for the 9.0 copy on ComicLink two months ago is that it went up since 2007 more on the order of 30% as opposed to AF15 and FF1 going up 100%.

:makepoint: Read carefully! 1st appearance of the flagship title ;) To be fair though, I shouldn't have included the /character which I did BECAUSE it is his very own title--Amazing Fantasy was a test shot for him. :foryou:

Look, it's cool--I know there are others who don't want to see this issue be what it is. But the numbers and the demand show otherwise: it IS a heavyweight and regardless, the facts show this to be true. After all,a book doesn't have to be a first appearance of a character in something in order to be a key.