• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TOP 10 DC COVERS.....Nominations for a poll

204 posts in this topic

If we're limited to superhero covers (which I don't believe was ever stipulated in the original Jimbo thread-starter), then I'd go with

Brave and the Bold #44

Secret Origins #1

Action Comics 211

Action Comics 212

Green Lantern 8

Hawkman 6

Now, if our list was to include ALL DC Silver Age covers, only the B&B 44 would make my list which I'm reiterating here.

All American Men of War 94

All Star Western 102

Brave and the Bold #18

Brave and the Bold #44

GI Combat 78

GI Combat 87

Our Army at War 100

Our Army at War 112

Our Fighting Forces 71

Star Spangled War Stories 138

I think most everybody has seen all of those. Maybe the only one people are less familiar with is the ASW 102

asw102.jpg

I have a lot of respect for the superhero books, but the DC superhero covers don't seem as universally worshipped as the war, western, or mystery/sci-fi covers. . .at least among most of the folks who responded to this thread.

I could second guess myself all day with this topic, but the first cover that crossed my mind was Showcase 34. It just grabs you.

I'm not a SA DC guy at all, but that has always been one of my favorite books.

From the moment I saw it (OSPG 1987 - the Supes cover?), I've been "in love" with that book. Probably the only DC I'd put in my "Top 10" must haves (from a nostagia standpoint; not value).

Had a chance a few years back (Sal was with me) to buy a very low grade copy (probably in the 3.0 range) but presented better, for under $100. Shoulda done it. :frustrated:

It's interesting that this is completely the reverse from my opinions of GA covers. There would be ZERO Timely covers in my favorites list, because I hated the Timely house style, whereas I loved DC's dramatic, uncluttered GA covers. Somewhere along the line, maybe with the popularization of word balloons on covers, DC turned down the volume on their covers, while Marvel uncluttered their covers and really made them pop.

Zero? :o I'm sure there would be a couple covers worthy of note. hm MMC#5, #32, maybe just one Cap, All Select #1?

ZERO. If I could go less than zero, I would. :sumo:

I think most everybody has seen all of those. Maybe the only one people are less familiar with is the ASW 102

asw102.jpg

Thanks for posting Mick, beautiful book!

Yeah, not only is it a great cover, but an amazing copy. How many issues of this book could there possibly be out there in that kind of shape? My guess is none.

asw102.jpg

Yeah, not only is it a great cover, but an amazing copy. How many issues of this book could there possibly be out there in that kind of shape? My guess is none.

There's at least one. :baiting:

Actually, they're two (no, I don't own it).

I also prefer DC's wide stable of great artists (Kubert, Anderson, Heath, Infantino, Meskin, Moriera, Kirby, Kane, and others), to Marvel's limited crew (Kirby, Ditko, and...that's about it).

The reason my own bias is towards Marvel superhero covers is because Jack Kirby drew great superhero covers.

DC's editorial style for their hero book covers seemed to emphasize narrative over the dramatic. Look at JLA 1 and JLA 21--there's a whole lotta sittin' goin' on! It also just so happens that DC's best cover artists (Kubert and Heath) tended mostly to work on non-hero books. Kubert ends up providing 2 of the DCs that would make my list of favorite SA covers (B&B 34 and 36). Maybe if he and Heath had done a lot more hero covers then there would be heavier DC representation in my own favorite list (I'm also excluding Sea Devils as superheroes). Kane is the main hero artist at DC who seemed to consistently generate decent covers, but I don't consider many of them to be great. I love Anderson, but with a few exceptions like MIS 90 his covers never blew me away. Infantino I never really cared for.

It's interesting that this is completely the reverse from my opinions of GA covers. There would be ZERO Timely covers in my favorites list, because I hated the Timely house style, whereas I loved DC's dramatic, uncluttered GA covers. Somewhere along the line, maybe with the popularization of word balloons on covers, DC turned down the volume on their covers, while Marvel uncluttered their covers and really made them pop.

I think Kirby had a terrific run of stories with FF and Thor but for covers? Not so much. Avengers 4 and FF 25 are awesome but the drop off in qualities that I like is pretty quick, especially with the mostly lame coloring and production values compared to DC. In high grade and viewed raw in person the DCs are generally far more attractive. Most folks don't know this as they've not seen many of the DCs in the right type of condition. Regarding, the JLA title I'm not fond of the covers or interior save for the 21.

I also prefer DC's wide stable of great artists (Kubert, Anderson, Heath, Infantino, Meskin, Moriera, Kirby, Kane, and others), to Marvel's limited crew (Kirby, Ditko, and...that's about it).

The reason my own bias is towards Marvel superhero covers is because Jack Kirby drew great superhero covers.

DC's editorial style for their hero book covers seemed to emphasize narrative over the dramatic. Look at JLA 1 and JLA 21--there's a whole lotta sittin' goin' on! It also just so happens that DC's best cover artists (Kubert and Heath) tended mostly to work on non-hero books. Kubert ends up providing 2 of the DCs that would make my list of favorite SA covers (B&B 34 and 36). Maybe if he and Heath had done a lot more hero covers then there would be heavier DC representation in my own favorite list (I'm also excluding Sea Devils as superheroes). Kane is the main hero artist at DC who seemed to consistently generate decent covers, but I don't consider many of them to be great. I love Anderson, but with a few exceptions like MIS 90 his covers never blew me away. Infantino I never really cared for.

I think Kirby had a terrific run of stories with FF and Thor but for covers? Not so much. Avengers 4 and FF 25 are awesome but the drop off in qualities that I like is pretty quick, especially with the mostly lame coloring and production values compared to DC. In high grade and viewed raw in person the DCs are generally far more attractive. Most folks don't know this as they've not seen many of the DCs in the right type of condition. Regarding, the JLA title I'm not fond of the covers or interior save for the 21.

I'm surprised that there have been a couple of people say they aren't thrilled by JLA covers. I consider those some of the most iconic DC SA covers of all. Granted the interior art is lame, but almost all the covers have Anderson inks and are great, imo.

I'm surprised that there have been a couple of people say they aren't thrilled by JLA covers. I consider those some of the most iconic DC SA covers of all. Granted the interior art is lame, but almost all the covers have Anderson inks and are great, imo.

One of my favorites is probably one of the least dynamic....JLA 19....the pallette on that cover is so rich, the color separations for that one must have been a bear. Torpedo comics had a 9.0 for 200 bucks a while back, but I dragged my feet too long....long gone. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I think Kirby had a terrific run of stories with FF and Thor but for covers? Not so much. Avengers 4 and FF 25 are awesome but the drop off in qualities that I like is pretty quick, especially with the mostly lame coloring and production values compared to DC.

I don't understand what coloring and production values have to do with evaluating artistic merit. It'd be like looking at "The Last Supper" and rating it lower than an oil painting because the former was not done in oil on canvas.

In high grade and viewed raw in person the DCs are generally far more attractive. Most folks don't know this as they've not seen many of the DCs in the right type of condition.

I sort of see what you're saying but also sort of don't. I don't think you should need high cover gloss or fewer creases to appreciate a great cover. Critical things like composition, the subject matter being depicted and the artist's style shouldn't hinge on such factors. In fact, I would say that the mark of a great cover is that it is instantly recognizable as a great cover whether it's on a ratty or pristine cover.

Yes, B&B 34 looks even better when the blue is really popping, but it's a great cover even in some moldy old faded copy. Seeing a cover in a really pristine copy might make you appreciate it more, but I have a hard time believing that it would be a difference maker between great and not great. I mean, I would say "eh" when shown a poor copy and then say "Wow, Top 10 cover of all time" when shown the same cover on the raw Curator or WM copy? I don't think so.

I don't understand what coloring and production values have to do with evaluating artistic merit.

Colors are pretty.

But seriously, when evaluating a cover I don't evaluate anything. I just take it in and it either hits me or doesn't. Great covers are the ones that take my breath away and I may not even know why.

One of my favorites is probably one of the least dynamic....JLA 19....the pallette on that cover is so rich, the color separations for that one must have been a bear. Torpedo comics had a 9.0 for 200 bucks a while back, but I dragged my feet too long....long gone. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I agree! Great cover!

JLA19.jpg

asw102.jpg

There's at least one. :baiting:

Actually, they're two (no, I don't own it).

This cracks me up!!

as soon as i saw the original comment, I thought that this book was right in Adamstrange's wheelhouse.

and who responds immediately?? :applause:

I don't understand what coloring and production values have to do with evaluating artistic merit.

Colors are pretty.

But seriously, when evaluating a cover I don't evaluate anything. I just take it in and it either hits me or doesn't. Great covers are the ones that take my breath away and I may not even know why.

Well said...and I agree... (thumbs u

yeah, i'm gonna need access to adamstrange's photobucket account before i can give y'all a list.

what i will say is that the following definitely belong on there;

GL 8

All-American Western 113 - it would be a crime - a crime, i say - for adamstrange not to post his copy. :worship:

JLA 56 - probably my fave Murphy Anderson piece of artwork ever. i know others agree with me, because this book seems to sell for much more than the surrounding issues of this title