• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Brian Bolland Artwork

27 posts in this topic

Hi all

Just a quick head's up that the one and only Brian Bolland has asked me to act

as his official representative. As most of you may be aware, Brian now produces

his published art completely on a computer so there is no new art to purchase.

He did, however, keep a few his favourite pieces for his personal collection.

They are primarily drawn from what he considered his best work and subsequently

lent to various exhibitions around the world. Brian is very aware that these are

the last pieces of published art he will ever have so while he is open to

selling some of them, he would only do so if he receives offers that make it

worth his while.

I have put up scans in my CAF and any questions can be directed to me via my

CAF.

This is a big kick for me as Brian is probably my all time favourite artist. :headbang:

I'm just curious, but why would an artist decide to go totally digital when they know how much "extra" money is in it for them to draw by hand and sell the art? Seems to me they are losing out on a lot of free money? Not to de-rail the thread, sorry!

Love the 2000AD Prog 224 Dark Judges Splash :)

I'm just curious, but why would an artist decide to go totally digital when they know how much "extra" money is in it for them to draw by hand and sell the art? Seems to me they are losing out on a lot of free money? Not to de-rail the thread, sorry!

Love the 2000AD Prog 224 Dark Judges Splash :)

To some artists, it's the quality of the final product that they care most about. Brian has mentioned this in panel discussions more than once, that the Wacom tablet allows him to enlarge sections of the art 400-500% size and work in fine line detail that he would never be able to achieve with pencil and ink. Admittedly, he winds up including detail that is all but invisible to the nekkid eye, but the final result is a piece that he is proud to put his name upon.

As a collector of his art, nothing makes me more sad than seeing a great new Zatanna, or Joker, or Catwoman cover by him and knowing there is no original to own. However, as a fan of his work, I realize that this technology means that I will be able to enjoy his work for many years to come while several other favorite artists who do not adapt to the times may see their skills decline.

If more artists were as concerned with the quality of their product the hobby would be all the better for it. As it is you can rattle off dozens of guys who do just the opposite and cut every corner possible just to get the work done.

Trust me, I would do just about anything to get Brian to work on paper again, but I respect his integrity in the choice he made.

C

I know that he changed over almost a decade ago to digital, at a time when the art wasn't quite as expensive as it is today. Thus, the market dynamics were not a large concern at the time.

I'm curious as to which way is faster for an artist. The old way where if you make a mistake you have to start from scratch again, or the new way where you can do more detail, but erasing is much easier. If the new way is quicker, is this not also a factor why artists change over?

illustrators (painters) I've spoken to about that (who have made the switch) tend to say that its pretty much a wash. They can do a piece faster now but often more revisions are required than the old days. The client knows its easier to tweak things so more things get tweaked.

Whether or not the same is true for artists producing B&W line art, I'm not sure.

no wonderwoman covers :(

Never know! Brian might have a couple stashed away still. Could be testing the waters with the Judge Dredd material and moving on from there...

BTW, that Judge splash is absolutely wicked. Can only imagine how nice that would be to look at in person.

Good luck on the sales.

Later.

-Will

no wonderwoman covers :(

Never know! Brian might have a couple stashed away still. Could be testing the waters with the Judge Dredd material and moving on from there...

Later.

-Will

hmm good point. It did seem a bit odd that all three available pieces were Dredd

I know that he changed over almost a decade ago to digital, at a time when the art wasn't quite as expensive as it is today. Thus, the market dynamics were not a large concern at the time.

I'm curious as to which way is faster for an artist. The old way where if you make a mistake you have to start from scratch again, or the new way where you can do more detail, but erasing is much easier. If the new way is quicker, is this not also a factor why artists change over?

I am by no means an artist, but I read a book that I wished I had bought. It was interviews with artists and Brian was in there talking about how he had to learn to draw all over again. That this method doesn't take the "artistic" equation out of it.....

I am a full time production artist and work with all the latest Adobe programs and i also work with a wacom tablet, but I am sorry and have to disagree, anything done on a computer for illustration art B&W or colour will never look as good as a penciled and inked piece, and trust me that u can do alot more detailed work with a pencil or a brush.

I am a full time production artist and work with all the latest Adobe programs and i also work with a wacom tablet, but I am sorry and have to disagree, anything done on a computer for illustration art B&W or colour will never look as good as a penciled and inked piece, and trust me that u can do alot more detailed work with a pencil or a brush.

I respect your experience, but that is the polar opposite of what several artists (including Brian) have told me.

When they explain to you that they can work on a piece and blow up sections to 400-500% or larger and do fine line detail in a size that is smaller than any brush tip in existence I can see what they mean.

Bolland's been working this way for over a decade now, and I was in denial the first 5 years of his switch to digital. There was no way in my mind that something all digital could look this good.

bolland3.jpg

or something like this done on a monthly deadline along with several other covers.

DC_Universe_The_Stories_of_Alan_Moore_800x600.jpg

I guess different artists have different experiences.

C