• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Important Copper Age story arcs

61 posts in this topic

I have no idea to what you refer, good sir....

:whistle:

(Yes, this is a joke for the humor impaired. DS caught me in a typo, which I thought I'd fixed before anyone noticed. (thumbs u )

(thumbs u

Right on brother.

Apparently I need to lay off the sauce. I had to go back and edit that Mead post too.

Animal Man # 5: "The Coyote Gospel."

One of the best single issues I've ever read.

:applause:

You should check out Lebowski's CGC SS 9.8 signed by Brian Bolland. Gorgeous is putting it lightly.

Well, I certainly can't deny a request to whip it out. :blush:

animal_man5.jpg

Stupid, mislabeled date. Grrr. Hopefully, they'll fix it when I add Morrison.

X-Men in the late 80s never matched the Phoenix saga, but the Mutant Massacre was pretty good reading, as was the Fall of the Mutants.

For Spidey, the first app. of the Hobgoblin was classic, up until he and Spidey battled by the waterfront and he disappeared....

Also, Hulk 296 (I believe) up until 300. Extremely good reading. Hulk, who until a point has had Banner's brain, goes on rampage thanks to the manipulations of Nightmare. Very good stuff. It ends with Hulk being banished from Earth. Never has the Hulk been more mindless, more savage.

Some have already mentioned Dark Knight, which really blew me away. I was HUGE Miller fan in the 80s, having come late to the party with his DD stuff. I remember seeing the sketches of his vision of Batman in the future in an a comic mag...great stuff.

Also Byrne's run on the FF. Excellent storytelling and art. (the fight with Gladiator is everything you first loved about comics come to life...big huge knockdown battle involving multiple heroes and villains...). It's amazing what Byrne can do when he commits himself to a project for a long period of time.

It's amazing what Byrne can do when he commits himself to a project for a long period of time.

Or just when he was younger, let's face it. He's not the talent he was, unfortunately, but then again who is.

Give the choice between Batman: Year One and Dark Knight and I'm going to go with Batman: Year One.

Year One is probably one of my all-time favorite Batman stories. Just a realistic perspective on the character. Though the newer movies are solid, I'd have preferred them to replicate the realism in Year One even a bit more. The whole Swat interaction with Batman was great.

Pat

Also, Hulk 296 (I believe) up until 300. Extremely good reading. Hulk, who until a point has had Banner's brain, goes on rampage thanks to the manipulations of Nightmare. Very good stuff. It ends with Hulk being banished from Earth. Never has the Hulk been more mindless, more savage.

I also am fond of the Hulk storyline where he first becomes intelligent (minus the whole press loving the Hulk part...) ish's 272-277 (great U-Foes battle) which leads into a great brawl with the infamous Leader.

Enjoyed alot on this list.

Great Darkness Saga in Legion Awesome

Judas Contract in TT - the Ending Floored me

Sin Eater Saga - Poor Jean

ASM 229-230 - And the Ending worked. Unlike is Firelord fight in 269.

Mutant Massacre - More shocking to me back then because I was a teenager. Still a good story.

Batman Night of the Beast - Loved this one Batman meets his equal.

Nobody mentioned Miller's second stint on DD either, I believe it was called SAVED, easily one of my faves!

Jay

"Born Again."

The best in-continuity super-hero story ever told. No lie.

Nope, no lie. The best Daredevil story ever to see print. One of the best superhero stories as well.

The Born Again story arc was the best. They could have ended the Daredevil title at issue #233 and it would have been appropriate.

Comics took a huge leap in quality during the 80's. Most of it was propelled by indies. So beyond the obvious Miller/Moore stories (and let's not forget V FOR VENDETTA and SWAMP THING), I'll second the aforementioned NEXUS (one of the best superhero comics ever) and include MAGE 1-15, the first twenty issues of JON SABLE: FREELANCE, the first dozen issues of AMERICAN FLAGG, the Eagle reprints of JUDGE DREDD, Dave Stevens' ROCKETEER...you can't go wrong with any of those. I'm jealous of those who will be discovering these titles for the first time.

What are we saying is the Copper Age cut-off date again? 1992?

I'll second Grendel and Mage, those were great comics. Never got around to Nexus, I'm going to have to read that some day.

Let's not forget Love and Rockets, either! Also Hate and Eightball began in the late 80s, so do they count as Copper? If they don't, earlier Bagge and Clowes stuff like Neat Stuff and Lloyd Llewellyn are alot of fun.

Flaming Carrot, Groo...hmm...Rocket Raccoon, Longshot, the Michael Golden issues of The 'Nam, Camelot 3000, just about every story in 2000AD from 1981 to 1986 or so...and all those great early 80s Heavy Metal magazines!

Not all works of genius, but alot of fun.

Is Sandman really considered a Copper book?

Don't know if this is considered a Copper or a Modern, but my last recommendation would be Don Rosa's The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck, which came out in 1995.

shoot, i really liked the first fourteen issues of Dreadstar, up until the death of the Lord High Papal.

getting rid of the arch villain really has a way of dragging down the creative process

Don't know if this is considered a Copper or a Modern, but my last recommendation would be Don Rosa's The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck, which came out in 1995.

Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck is hands down the best origin story ever published in comics format. Period.

Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck is hands down the best origin story ever published in comics format. Period.

Really?

Even better than Batman Year One?

I'll have to check it out!

Hey, nickwire--

I didn't read any Disney comics as a kid, either. I was familiar with the characters from the cartoons, even watched some Ducktales in the 80s, but I was a casual fan at best.

Then I heard about this Carl Barks guy. So I checked out some of his stuff and it was just as good as everyone said. That led me to Don Rosa, who approaches the ducks with a dash of Barks and a chunk of his own brilliance.

(FYI, Barks was writing duck stories from the 40s-70s, Rosa 80s-00s.)

I will admit I'm a bit of a snob, I've tried reading material by the other guys and it just doesn't grab me the way the Barks and Rosa stuff does.

Anyway, if you like adventure with a little humor thrown in, I recommend picking up anything by either artist. Although they are written for all ages, there is a cleverness to the stories that makes them pretty cool.

Both artists use history, exotic locations, puzzles and action to create a very Indiana Jones kind-of-vibe. (Well, not all their stories, but alot.)

There is a true story about Lucas being inspired by a certain sequence in a Cark Barks Uncle Scrooge comic to create the famous "boulder chasing Indiana Jones" scene from Raiders of the Lost Ark.

I'm sure other boardies remember the exact name of the story. Help me out, guys?

ive never read any disney books. i just assumed they were "childrens" books. am i wrong? would i have needed to love disney as a kid to like em?

Carl Barks may be the greatest the comic artist that ever lived, he never did Superheroes or worked for Marvel/DC,if he did he would even be more popular than he is.I urge you to try some of his stuff out. ;)