• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,895 posts in this topic

-Sweet score on the top loader NES a few pages back.

-As for selling the Purses, more power to you man!!,

I wish my woman would let me sell all the old Sinful shirts and Random $100 blue jeans she has... but she has a complex.... nobody can own her old things unless she knows the person, *AND* they'll take good care of, *AND* only if she wants someone to own it after her, *AND* only if its the right time to give it, *AND* only if they're worthy, *AND* only if shes decided to let go, *AND* ..."NO REASON TO GIVE IT AWAY WHATSOEVER... ITS MINE AND IM NOT GONNA USE IT AGAIN, BUT I WONT EvEN TAKE THE TIME TO THROW IT AT SOMEONE WHO WILL PICK IT UP AND THANK ME FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"........etc

You can see a hint of frustration :)

I'm a guy who will give mess away If someone can use it, and keeps a mental inventory of mess people have available, or need. bah... Women...

Went to an estate sale this morning. Waited outside in the 20 degree weather for 30 minutes.

Had seen this on the estate sale website, so I figured "Why not?":

canvas.png

Then, last night, I saw this additional photo advertising the estate sale on Craigslist: Link.

3Gd3N83He5Na5Lb5G1d3d1e8ddf2450961281.jpg

Did you get it?

No.

I was about the 20th person to get into the house. I saw a local dealer get in before me. By the time I got to the books, all that were left were crappy Dells.

The other Craigslist photo:

3E53kd3I65Nf5K45Mdd3d651be3d56f3d1f.jpg

:(

Sorry to hear. If it's any consolation, it sounds a lot like what's been happening in my parts the last few years. More competition than I've ever seen, not only at garage sales, but anywhere good stuff turns up.

Now that I'm retired I have time to attend estate sales, auctions, flea markets and garage sales. I'm starting to irritate a lot of the guys who had been doing this around the NW suburbs of Chicago for years.

I'm the cause of the added competition! lol

All those 'wonderful' television shows that we love amd watch (i.e. American Pickers, Pawn Stars, Tpy Hunter, etc.) have started massive speculator booms in certain areas not once thought of. I will not go off on a rant...but...

Never before have I seen so many new inexperienced individuals with no interest in the objects they are buying; scoping out flea markets, auctions, and the like. This is also causing a massive price hike in certain collecting fields that cannot be maintained.

Even 'soccer moms' are buying cases of Lego sets for future 'investment.'

Now is the time to expand your knowledge base, if you want to learn new fields. Specialization can help. I make a ton of cash in antique glass, because newbies don't generally have the patience or understanding to learn this market. My best advice is to hang in there and create a 'brand.' Over time, people will come to you with their collections. As I stated before, I do little advertising and still buy three to four video game collections a week. You can also collude with other dealers in your area to make it difficult for newbies to enter the game. This happens more than people realize. Even though I hate to admit it...

Kind Regards,

'mint'

I make a ton of cash in antique glass, because newbies don't generally have the patience or understanding to learn this market.

I know enough about antique glass, but as the old saying goes, too much knowledge can be dangerous. The main reason why I skip over glass and "breakables" is the shipping aspect. I could off-load to local shops and a few pickers I know, but unless we're talking a piece of significant value, I generally would rather just let them know when I find one in hopes they do the same if they find something of interest to me.

Now that I'm retired I have time to attend estate sales, auctions, flea markets and garage sales. I'm starting to irritate a lot of the guys who had been doing this around the NW suburbs of Chicago for years.

I'm the cause of the added competition! lol

lol

Last summer, a picker I work with started running into me at a bunch of sales. At one sale, I was driving-off while he was arriving, so as soon as he saw my car I guess he soured over the thought that I'd probably picked it over. He walked over to my car and in a half-joking manner told me to slow down. I called him by a few weeks later to pick through a bunch of cool stuff, but just not in my collecting focus, and we had a few beers and everything was good.

I make a ton of cash in antique glass, because newbies don't generally have the patience or understanding to learn this market.

I know enough about antique glass, but as the old saying goes, too much knowledge can be dangerous. The main reason why I skip over glass and "breakables" is the shipping aspect. I could off-load to local shops and a few pickers I know, but unless we're talking a piece of significant value, I generally would rather just let them know when I find one in hopes they do the same if they find something of interest to me.

Have you tried buying and selling through vetted auction houses that specialize in high end glass; or trying to place the items in high end antique malls? This would help you avoid the shipping aspect. just a possible suggestion.

I gained a lot of knowledge just be reading the Encyclopedia of Glass. It was required reading from one of my mentors. He always told me if you coukd make it through that book and still have an interest in glass, I must really like glass. I recommend this book to anyone starting out in glass. Use it as a reference, but know going in, it is an 'encyclopedia' and not an exciting read.

Another option is as you mentioned, 'partner' with other dealers and share knowledge or trade. I get a ton of video game collections come summer flea market season , as a result of this.