• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,895 posts in this topic

Best find this year came well after a garage sale had run its course, 10 doors down on my street.

I made a promise not to do any garage sales this year, and this was the only stop I made all season.

As I was heading out with the family and drove by the house, I saw a bunch of furniture and yard machines.

In the pile was a brand spanking new lawnmower and snowthrower. I asked my Wife to knock on the door as I wanted to make sure the "free sign" they placed included those two items.

The lady told us we were welcome to take them which I couldn't believe since they looked like they hadn't ever been used.

In fact after seeing the condition they were in and the for sale (SOLD) sign on their front lawn, the only thing I suspected was they were leaving the country for good and couldn't take them with them.

After adding some fuel today, the snowthrower sure came in handy as we just got a blizzard and already have about 20 centimeters.

I'm especially stoked because while I never minded hand shovelling our place, I've been thinking about putting a backyard rink this year and this machine will come in handy. Here's a pic of the actual machine:

0004303354787_500X500.jpg

I always tell my wife "You can't get an answer until you ask a question". Looks like that paid off VERY well for you this time. (thumbs u

Best find this year came well after a garage sale had run its course, 10 doors down on my street.

I made a promise not to do any garage sales this year, and this was the only stop I made all season.

As I was heading out with the family and drove by the house, I saw a bunch of furniture and yard machines.

In the pile was a brand spanking new lawnmower and snowthrower. I asked my Wife to knock on the door as I wanted to make sure the "free sign" they placed included those two items.

The lady told us we were welcome to take them which I couldn't believe since they looked like they hadn't ever been used.

In fact after seeing the condition they were in and the for sale (SOLD) sign on their front lawn, the only thing I suspected was they were leaving the country for good and couldn't take them with them.

After adding some fuel today, the snowthrower sure came in handy as we just got a blizzard and already have about 20 centimeters.

I'm especially stoked because while I never minded hand shovelling our place, I've been thinking about putting a backyard rink this year and this machine will come in handy. Here's a pic of the actual machine:

Wow, they didn't want anything for that? I would have left a TH, or LCBO gift card in their mailbox...

This one is more like an "attic" find...stumbled across these while looking for some old Christmas decorations today:

115_0268.jpg

I was more of a "Micronauts" and "Shogun Warriors" kid -- the whole Transformers thing missed me by a decade or so. So I'm pretty sure someone who thought these were in that same ballpark gave them to me back in 2001. Now all I need to find are the instruction sheets, which are probably around here somewhere.

Can anyone identify all of these (other than the two Optimus Primes)?

I also found my old NES system -- a picture and description of that are posted in the "Videogame" thread in General...

Wow, they didn't want anything for that? I would have left a TH, or LCBO gift card in their mailbox...

I thought the same thing, but keep in mind that this was sometime in the fall (don't remember the exact day, Saturday or Sunday is the best I can recall) and the lady spoke broken English. When I asked her if it was running, she shrugged her shoulders so I wasn't sure if she understood what I asked or whether it was in need of repair. It certainly didn't look like it was in disrepair, but for free I was actually thinking if I couldn't get them to run, I would just give both the lawnmower and the snowthrower to a good friend of mine who does landscaping. He's quite good at bringing machines back to life.

When I first took it home, it wouldn't start. I tried several times over the course of the next few days, found an online manual, etc. After having no luck, I thought it probably needed a minor tune-up, mostly from sitting around. So timing-wise, because the seller was not fluent in English and the fact it wouldn't start right away is probably why people skipped it at the garage sale. Also within the same week I saw moving trucks with the new people moving in so I was actually very surprised they had left so soon.

In any case, fast forward to last week, I tried again and was just about to bring it to a nearby shop to have looked at. My buddy who does the landscaping dropped-by and said the gas line probably needed to be drained from sitting. Today as the snow was falling, I thought I would give it one more shot. This time, I realized the gas line was completely dry and there just wasn't enough fuel in the tank to start it. My neighbour gave me the same suggestion and offered to fill the tank with gas, and after pumping the primer for a minute I started hearing it flow. Once gas began to flow, it turned over on the first pull.

In any event, I didn't think of it being much of a score until I finally got it running today :banana:

Got a call to check out a collection put together over the last 20 years. The call came from a referral from another chap I dealt with on some toys in the past.

The collection had a great deal of range, but I narrowed down my choices to the stuff that I knew well and/or stuff that caught my eye. The J. Chein, No 172 Hercules Mechanical Ferris Wheel (circa 1934), the MS-709 CHINA Wind Up Tin Toy Motorcyle with Sidecar and the 3 Car Auto Transporter are among some of my favourites from the haul:

Got a call to check out a collection put together over the last 20 years. The call came from a referral from another chap I dealt with on some toys in the past.

The collection had a great deal of range, but I narrowed down my choices to the stuff that I knew well and/or stuff that caught my eye. The Chein Hercules Ferris Wheel (circa 1934), the MS-709 CHINA Wind Up Tin Toy Motorcyle with Sidecar and the 3 Car Auto Transporter are among some of my favourites from the haul:

Are you the Canadian version of the Toy Hunter? :cool:

The collection had a great deal of range, but I narrowed down my choices to the stuff that I knew well and/or stuff that caught my eye. The Chein Hercules Ferris Wheel (circa 1934), the MS-709 CHINA Wind Up Tin Toy Motorcyle with Sidecar and the 3 Car Auto Transporter are among some of my favourites from the haul:

Nice thought as I love looking through this stuff, but I don't travel anywhere near as much as Jordan, I tend to keep more stuff than I sell, and I just don't have collections like I saw today fall in my lap as often as I'd like. :)

Love the purchase. The elephant is something I would have loved to pick up for my wife.

I've had a rough go with toy collections this year. Not sure if Toy Hunters and that toy hoarders show are changing the way people look at what they have. I've actually had a lot more success as buying nice comic purchases from the general public (very unusual for me).

Pat

There were a couple of pieces I had left behind on my last visit that kept nudging me the last few days to go back and pick-up. The gent I dealt with on these is a real class act, and had an eye for some really nice stuff. Had his collection consisted of more of the stuff I love to collect, I would have definitely been buying more:

1950's Lincoln Pressed Steel Toy Dump Truck - this is a pressed steel truck that is complete and it's a real treat when they are found with all their original decals. Very seldom do you see the original grill on these (there are repro grills exactly for this reason), and the patina on this is quite nice:

Lincoln_Dump_Truck_sized_zps8b8f7548.jpg

Lincoln_Dump_Truck_topview__zpsa9a34685.jpg

Vintage Tin Litho Friction Firetruck - this one has been giving me some problems in terms of placing a maker and time period. Hard to see from this angle, but there are two firemen standing on the back of the truck. The colours on this really pop and it looks circa 1960 Japanese in origin just from the design and metal construction. If anyone has any better idea of what this is, I'd appreciate it:

Firetruck2_sixed_zpsc8a5a6b2.jpg

MEGO STAR TREK - Mr Spock - this one is a disaster. Resealed with packing tape and staples, but the figure is actually in excellent condition. I've seen reproduction cardback/blister with figure going in the $50-$65 range so I'm perfectly ok with this pick-up:

MEGO_Spock_sized_zps2346be54.jpg

From the complete haul though, this is shaping up to be one of my favourites:

1950's Nomura "Century Hot Rod" Tin Litho Friction Car with original box - just an incredible example through and through. I've always had a weakness for dragster friction cars and I couldn't be happier with this one. As shown in the video, the pistons move up and down and the fan spins

Nomura_Century_Hot_Rod_size_zps949a4c0f.jpg

Nice thought as I love looking through this stuff, but I don't travel anywhere near as much as Jordan, I tend to keep more stuff than I sell, and I just don't have collections like I saw today fall in my lap as often as I'd like. :)

(thumbs u

Cool video!