• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collectible comics in 2059

91 posts in this topic

Hmm, not sure this is the best place to air those views. You are basically telling people who (collectively) pay millions of dollars each year for comics that there is no future in it. Good luck with that

oh c'mon..it's just a coming reality and I'm certain all those people spending millions of dollars know this because they aren't dummies.

Fortunately for 99% of them, in 50 years it won't matter because we'll all for the most part be gone, including you and I. That is, barring any miracles that help us to live into our 120s.

there is a future for comics.. only, it's a "near future". the distant future is only a disaster coming. Look, there are fewer comic readers today than at any point in history.. It isn't going to be getting any better. Comic readership will continue to deteriorate until comics are gone and only looked in historical context by a minority of the people

Hmm, not sure this is the best place to air those views. You are basically telling people who (collectively) pay millions of dollars each year for comics that there is no future in it. Good luck with that

oh c'mon..it's just a coming reality and I'm certain all those people spending millions of dollars know this because they aren't dummies.

Fortunately for 99% of them, in 50 years it won't matter because we'll all for the most part be gone, including you and I. That is, barring any miracles that help us to live into our 120s.

there is a future for comics.. only, it's a "near future". the distant future is only a disaster coming. Look, there are fewer comic readers today than at any point in history.. It isn't going to be getting any better. Comic readership will continue to deteriorate until comics are gone and only looked in historical context by a minority of the people

Is your real name Nostradamus hm

50 years from now, comics will be worthless. Moderns will cease printing within the next ten years, cutting off the supply of future back-issue buyers. The back issue buyers of today will have reached retirement age and their incomes will not allow for frivolous purchases of this nature.

The market has been shrinking dramatically since it's heyday in the 80s/early 90s and although CGC revived the back issue market in the early 00s, the gloss is now coming off.

Mike! :hi:

How's it going, mate?

Long time, no see!

The majority of us collect comics because we read them as children and we either never stopped or started again as adults.

I agree that most us who now collect comics read them when we were kids.

But I sure would love an actual count of what we collect now. I am certain that most who now collect golden age were not alive in the 1940s. And I bet a majority of those who are spending big bucks for silver age were not alive to read silver age comics when they first appeared on the stands.

While it is probable that comics in some form will be more and more available digitally, the very tactile nature of comics requires a hard copy for maximum enjoyment. I may be naive, but I think that as long as there is paper someone will be printing comics on it.

How's it going, mate?

Long time, no see!

Rich Halegua :gossip:

I think like most things comics will go through cycles. I'm only 29 and I love things that are looked at as obsolete or old. Old records, old guitars, old radios, old cars, old comics etc etc

I think at some point there will be a backlash towards some advances. A book or comic read on the computer just ain't the same as reading an actual book or comic.

How's it going, mate?

Long time, no see!

I read that as 'comicartfan'...Mike Shuley. doh!

I think like most things comics will go through cycles. I'm only 29 and I love things that are looked at as obsolete or old. Old records, old guitars, old radios, old cars, old comics etc etc

I think at some point there will be a backlash towards some advances. A book or comic read on the computer just ain't the same as reading an actual book or comic.

What 'cycles' have old records, old guitars, old radios, old cars, old comics actually gone through? Generational? (shrug)

What 'cycles' have old records, old guitars, old radios, old cars, old comics actually gone through? Generational? (shrug)

Hmmm....look at what happened to records; went from 8 tracks, to tapes, to CD's to mp3's.

Which way will comics go?

Hmmm....look at what happened to records; went from 8 tracks, to tapes, to CD's to mp3's.

Quite right.

The message might live on, but the medium will change. (thumbs u

Comics have already gone from pulp paper to mondo paper to baxter paper.

I am sure they will progress to some kind of high tech paper in the future.

How's it going, mate?

Long time, no see!

that's me... but I think he was referring to nmtg9

For me personally - when cd's came out I stopped listening to records. I'm probably a freak though because I was around 11(1991) when I got my first cd and I was actually still listening to records until that point. My dad had a great collection of 60's records (thumbs u I have now found myself craving old records and heard others are too

I used to think old guitars were neat but always wanted the new shiny one. Basically I wanted a guitar like the one Dimebag of Pantera might be playing. Now I have a Les Paul from the late 90's and wish I had one from the 60's as do many others. They don't build new guitars like the the old ones. Everyone claims the old ones sound so much better.

Lots of people wan't fancy radios with all the latest doohickeys etc and I did for a while too but now I find myself wanting just a simple old tube radio with an old look to it.

So yeah I think it is generational similar to clothing in some ways.

A yearning to get back to simpler times of yesteryear? lol

I can't beleive I typed this much I'm on my 5th Grolsch tall boy and its only 4:20. I need a nap soon

Golden aged books with cultural relevance and/or in high grade will probably always have some value, particularly as antiquities. Keys from other ages will also retain some demand. I imagine common books, esp. those post silver age will be substantially worthless.

Just think, my ECs will be over 100 at that time! And I'll be 80... so I probably have to pawn them all off to pay for a (sexy) nurse to tend to my fragile body.

Rick... you've seen printing of paper go down steadily during your lifetime and while I do believe that some paper will be produced, the sheer economics of it, the fact that less paper advertising than ever is being bought which in itself is the major profit generator of newspapers and magazines points in the opposite direction, unless you mean "whatever comics will be printed will be on baxter paper". That would be true.. if any comics are being printed.

Further down the road, you can be sure that books will be small discs or crystals that you insert into your multi-function watch or iPod and contains video, and an option to hear the news read to you instead of reading it yourself.

during the 1940s-50s, Dime Novels (the 1890-1910 kind) were very heavily collected and some sold for $100s. Now they are near to worthless.

Pulps, which were never as big as comics of course: today, only some 20-30 core titles are collected with various related titles. But Argosy, Detective Fiction Weekly, Popular, Blue Book etc are worth less today than they were 20 years ago and without the comics hobby, everything except Shadow, Doc Savage and Weird Tales would be near to junk (and some other titles like Spider etc). the large body of pulps today don't sell for more than a few dollars each.

What about record collecting??

it's just the natural progression for collectibles of "Popular culture". Worthless to valuable to worthless and only of historical note.. and you don't have to be Nostradamus to see that.

Rick... you've seen printing of paper go down steadily during your lifetime and while I do believe that some paper will be produced, the sheer economics of it, the fact that less paper advertising than ever is being bought which in itself is the major profit generator of newspapers and magazines points in the opposite direction, unless you mean "whatever comics will be printed will be on baxter paper". That would be true.. if any comics are being printed.

Further down the road, you can be sure that books will be small discs or crystals that you insert into your multi-function watch or iPod and contains video, and an option to hear the news read to you instead of reading it yourself.

during the 1940s-50s, Dime Novels (the 1890-1910 kind) were very heavily collected and some sold for $100s. Now they are near to worthless.

Pulps, which were never as big as comics of course: today, only some 20-30 core titles are collected with various related titles. But Argosy, Detective Fiction Weekly, Popular, Blue Book etc are worth less today than they were 20 years ago and without the comics hobby, everything except Shadow, Doc Savage and Weird Tales would be near to junk (and some other titles like Spider etc). the large body of pulps today don't sell for more than a few dollars each.

it's just the natural progression for collectibles of "Popular culture". Worthless to valuable to worthless and only of historical note.. and you don't have to be Nostradamus to see that.

So what's your point?

Go to any decent Bittorrent site, Demonoid for example and see that thousands have downloaded gigabytes of digital comics, i myself have have close to 500GB of comics, they are convenient to read and i can read whatever i feel like.

Doesn't mean i don't enjoy owning some of the comics, but having the entire DC back catalogue to hand is just to sweet to miss out on.

So what's your point?

that in 2059... there probably won't be any printed coic books... duh

:makepoint:

So what's your point?

that in 2059... there probably won't be any printed comic books... duh

:makepoint: