• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collectible comics in 2059

91 posts in this topic

Seems to me that stopped production of new comics could actuall help the back issue market.

I could not disagree more. Look around you, there are countless examples of books whose values have fallen when the title or publisher became defunct. Concurrently, all of the vintage titles featuring still-in-print characters do well. Its the reason AF15 sells for more than TTA27. Its the reason Tec 27 sells for more than Whiz 2. Continued relevance through modern publishing is the only thing keeping these books alive. Every year Whiz 2 and books like it with no modern relevance slip a little further down the hierarchy.

We don't even have to look at the future when comics are no longer published; the effects are already plain to see even with *characters* that are no longer published. Now if the entire medium went belly up you'd be left with only that which had lasting historical significance. Let's see. Batman, Superman and Spiderman titles. That's about it.

Just one example - how come all those Phantom Lady books go for big money then hm

That's easy...

Headlights.

VROOOOM!!! ;)

In, the future, absent any sentimentality or nostalgia, key books, classic covers and great art will prevail. There will be people that collect every Neal Adams cover, every Frazetta cover, every first appearance, every Wrightson horror cover, etc.

Every issue of Amazing Spider-Man or the FF? Not so much...

Reading comics, sadly, will not be a focus of 2059 collectors... they will be after the art they like, the historically important stuff, and the covers they like... If they want to read the comics, they will just download scans... (much as the kids do now) my 2c

Seems to me that stopped production of new comics could actuall help the back issue market.

I could not disagree more. Look around you, there are countless examples of books whose values have fallen when the title or publisher became defunct. Concurrently, all of the vintage titles featuring still-in-print characters do well. Its the reason AF15 sells for more than TTA27. Its the reason Tec 27 sells for more than Whiz 2. Continued relevance through modern publishing is the only thing keeping these books alive. Every year Whiz 2 and books like it with no modern relevance slip a little further down the hierarchy.

We don't even have to look at the future when comics are no longer published; the effects are already plain to see even with *characters* that are no longer published. Now if the entire medium went belly up you'd be left with only that which had lasting historical significance. Let's see. Batman, Superman and Spiderman titles. That's about it.

Just one example - how come all those Phantom Lady books go for big money then hm

don't let the exceptions obfuscate the trend. How are those copies of True Comics doing? late # Big Shot comics? Dell Westerns?

Reading comics, sadly, will not be a focus of 2059 collectors... they will be after the art they like, the historically important stuff, and the covers they like... If they want to read the comics, they will just download scans... (much as the kids do now) my 2c

2059? I believe you've captured the predominant collecting attitude of the average 2009 collector. :boo:

2059? I believe you've captured the predominant collecting attitude of the average 2009 collector. :boo:

I thought that was how most people collect already too

don't let the exceptions obfuscate the trend. How are those copies of True Comics doing? late # Big Shot comics? Dell Westerns?

Planet Comics?

Wings?

Black Terror?

Every EC title?

If the exceptions are many, are they still exceptions hm

In, the future, absent any sentimentality or nostalgia, key books, classic covers and great art will prevail. There will be people that collect every Neal Adams cover, every Frazetta cover, every first appearance, every Wrightson horror cover, etc.

Every issue of Amazing Spider-Man or the FF? Not so much...

I love how everyone throws their own collecting preferences or tastes into their predictions. lol

If ASM is the most collected title today, and has been for decades, why is everyone going to suddently ditch them for Wrightson horror covers? That doesn't make any sense.

It's very simple: the comics that are going to maintain any value are going to be the ones featuring characters who are still prominent in pop culture. We can't say for certain which characters, if any, will be successful enough 50 years from now in mediums other than comics, to maintain their iconic status. But we do know that characters like Spider-Man and Batman are successful in other mediums NOW, such as movies and video games, so if any books are going to endure, it's going to be the mainstream staples of our hobby.

And for the record, I think comics have enough artistic merit to ensure that there will always be a group of people buying up funny books of all kinds, as long as they exist. They just won't be doing it at current levels, but I really don't think the prices we're seeing are going to last even 5 years, so that's a moot point.

And for the record, I think comics have enough artistic merit to ensure that there will always be a group of people buying up funny books of all kinds, as long as they exist. They just won't be doing it at current levels, but I really don't think the prices we're seeing are going to last even 5 years, so that's a moot point.

Blanket statements about prices cover too much ground. I think you mean the current CRAZY prices for 9.8s etc right? I agree. Many other prices will actually be much higher in 5 years though. And MOST comics values will stay the same or decline. All depends on the book.

Anybody want to buy some of my Tarzan, Buck Rogers, and Flash Gordon comics? These characters should be making a comeback any day now. Right? :eek:

As to Buck Rogers:

PRESS RELEASE

James Cawley, Executive Producer

Cawley Entertainment Company

P.O. Box 448

13 Wiley Street

Ticonderoga NY 12883

TICONDEROGA, N.Y., June 15, 2009

(IGNOREABOVE)

Executive Producer James Cawley announced that veteran television and screen actor Gil Gerard would be joining the cast of the new Internet version of “Buck Rogers in the 25th Century” as a series regular, and will also serve as Co- Executive Producer.

Gerard played Buck Rogers in the theatrical release, which premiered in March of 1979 and became one of the highest grossing pictures of that year. He then went on to star in the NBC television series, which ran from 1979 through 1981.

Gerard recently visited Retro Films Studio, where he met with Bobby Quinn Rice, who has been cast as the new Buck in the web-series production. Gerard offered Rice advice and his best wishes during their meeting, essentially passing the torch to the new Buck Rogers.

“Buck Rogers in the 25th Century,” the Internet series, is currently in pre-production.

I believe the investing mantra is appropriate for this discussion:

"Past performance does not guarantee future results."

Just because prices of AF15, early ASM and FF keep rising doesn't really mean that they'll still be valued highly in 50 years. SA characters will need to be relevant and maintain their value relative to other characters. To a lot of kids, Wolverine is just as popular as Spiderman, and Supes doesn't even make the cut. Action 1 and Tec 27 aren't sought after nearly as much as AF15 or other SA. It's not just because they are near unattainable, it's because the GA market has less collectors than SA (Nothing personal guys!). Its not a stretch to think that the markets for moderns will one day be larger than SA. Part of the reason may just be because the collectible comics market has a funny tendency for supply to dwindle. I think we'll have other popular comic book characters that will dominate the market in 50 years. You can see the steady gains in modern keys on GPA reports. There are certainly 'investment-grade' moderns out there.

Action 1 and Tec 27 aren't sought after nearly as much as AF15 or other SA. It's not just because they are near unattainable, it's because the GA market has less collectors than SA (Nothing personal guys!).

I agree with your entire post except this quoted bit from above. One of the primary reasons the GA market has less collectors than the SA market is BECAUSE the GA books are so unattainable. Batman and Superman have been as prominent in all of our collecting lives as Spider-Man, and both are more prominent than the Fantastic Four, but they're so difficult to get that far fewer people even try.