• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you do if you had the "Dentist" collection?

64 posts in this topic

Can someone tell me what issue's this guy has?? (shrug)

Only thing I'm sure of is complete, high-grade runs of Action and Superman. I've heard he also has at least some of the other major Golden superhero runs also such as Detective and Marvel Mystery. He's been running an ad in Overstreet for over a decade as a collector buying any cultural item having to do with Superman.

I would rather have the Richard Evans collection.

:blush: That sounds nice.

But you could sell Dave's books, buy my books, and have enough left over to buy everybody else's books on the boards.

What does that matter? What's a collection without the sentimentality?

Encyclopedias, that's what it is.

Okay, but if you bought Richard's collection, what sentimental value would it hold for you?

Where in the OP did it mention purchase?

My point was I would rather have a collection from someone I know or knew as opposed to a random bunch of books from someone who means absolutely nothing to me.

I know Richard. I know his passion for collecting. I would be reminded of that every time I flipped through the books. A collection without meaning is nothing but a commodity. Perhaps that is how people become sick of the hobby?

That is an extremely noble point of view. But it's also a view in the extreme minority.

Then that's a shame.

I look at it as a combination of things.

There are those that love the paper product for what it is and then there are those that love the story behind the paper product. I think each of us has a little of both inside.

I know I do.

I love a comic because of what it has represented in the past (or represents now) and I also love owning a book with a history behind it...

R.

Only thing I'm sure of is complete, high-grade runs of Action and Superman. I've heard he also has at least some of the other major Golden superhero runs also such as Detective and Marvel Mystery. He's been running an ad in Overstreet for over a decade as a collector buying any cultural item having to do with Superman.

There's been lots of discussion but I don't remember the exact details. I think he bought the Church copies of Action 1-25 and a similar run of Detectives decades ago, and paid silly money for them. He was pretty much tarred and feathered for the prices he paid back then.

The Timely run of Church books is owned by John Verzyl in their entirety except for the Cap #1. I was made aware of this as I stood in front of John thinking he was pulling my leg. John replaced the Mile High copy with the Allentown because it was a higher grade (9.6). John also owns the All American #16 Mile high which graded a 9.4.

The Superman #1 Church copy is owned by someone else.

Not sure about the Superman run or the Batman books.

i'm pretty sure dave owns all the mile high dc's, save for the 27.

i'm pretty sure dave owns all the mile high dc's, save for the 27.

I know for a fact that the Superman #1 is not owned by him so that's why I questioned the rest of runs.

hm

John also owns the All American #16 Mile high which graded a 9.4.

One of the things I chatted with him about. :)

He was talking about selling it eventually, and he had already turned down $1,000,000 for it....he was thinking along the lines of $1.5M.

He paid $7580 for it. :)

There's been lots of discussion but I don't remember the exact details. I think he bought the Church copies of Action 1-25 and a similar run of Detectives decades ago, and paid silly money for them. He was pretty much tarred and feathered for the prices he paid back then.

The Timely run of Church books is owned by John Verzyl in their entirety except for the Cap #1. I was made aware of this as I stood in front of John thinking he was pulling my leg. John replaced the Mile High copy with the Allentown because it was a higher grade (9.6). John also owns the All American #16 Mile high which graded a 9.4.

The Superman #1 Church copy is owned by someone else.

Actually John replaced the Denver copy with the Allentown! John had a chance to get the MH Copy from the owner decades ago but the owner decided to get it repaired 1st. Once that happened John did not want it so he kept the Denver copy until he did the deal for the Allentown.

West

press slab flip take bedrock to lunch to discuss a purchase of his stuff or maybe gator but probably bedrock because he tells a funny story or two

To answer the original question, I would want to keep most of the books (assuming I could afford their upkeep), but I wouldn't be so miserly about sharing any information about them. I'd do high-res scans and share them with the public.

I agree 100%. Granted he might be a very busy individual....but if I were him

and that was the case than I would pay someone to create a web page, a site - hell even Kodak Easy Share for those to see their beauty and enjoy them. I would imagine security, safety and insurance would all be factors of "advertising" them. But again there are people, places and companies that could easily cater to these concerns.

i've always thought there was something cool and mysterious about keeping parts of a collection secret. everyone wanting to know what dave's books look like is something that provides not only suspense but room for more debate and conversation throughout the hobby. "what do the best condition key issue comic books in the world look like" has been asked if not more than any other question on these boards.

Well...probably a touch of OCD, maybe a few profession specific neuroses...but I've never met him, so I can't say for sure...

;)

:applause:

i've always thought there was something cool and mysterious about keeping parts of a collection secret. everyone wanting to know what dave's books look like is something that provides not only suspense but room for more debate and conversation throughout the hobby. "what do the best condition key issue comic books in the world look like" has been asked if not more than any other question on these boards.

totally agree. Look how whipped into a frenzy we get just gossiping about the collection and the contents of it. The mystery is what keeps everyone coming back for more (thumbs u

Is it safe???

Szell.jpg

My dentist is great and also a movie nut and we have a fine time when I visit. I finally got him to start sayig to me "Is it safe?" (he knew the ref) while I was in the chair. I made him a card with that image and a "Dr. Chang asks...IS IT SAFE?" tagline.

He also asks me questions when my mouth is open and cannot answer and he will say things like "I know you can't answer - the quesiton was rhetorical" and I mange to utter something like "aaassoole" or worse which always makes us laugh. (I also, when it is time to fill a disposable cup with water to "rinse", take a pen and mark the bottom of he cup, then inform him that this was the same cup that was here last year! "See? There's the mark I made!")

OK - this is dumb. But dentists can be fun.

It's like a good looking woman. ALMOST naked is better than naked. Leave something to the imagination.

As they used to say on Vaudville, "leave them wanting more".

I would not share everything, with the general public of collectors. They are mine. Not ours. I do not believe that there is an inherent obligation to share with the collecting public. If I owned a Golden Age Blue Beetle #43, I would not share it with anyone for a very long time. Maybe a hint now and then. Then when everyone was talking about how much of a BS'er I am. I would just smile and maybe, just maybe, show a scan of the indicia and a very close up of the cover with the number 43 on it, but I would not show the entire cover. It is like Victoria Secret longerie. How come all of those beautiful woman are wearing something for their man? Because almost fuly shared is way better than totally shared. (have I made that point clear enough yet) :)

I would tease and entice, and every once in awhile give a sneek peak, but not everything. My close friends and associates would see more than just some guy on the forum, but even they wouldn't have access to everything. Okay, maybe my closest friend would, but not just A friend.

Most of us do that now anyway. Just not on the scale he does.

I believe he does it just as I would do it.

Is it safe???

Szell.jpg

My dentist is great and also a movie nut and we have a fine time when I visit. I finally got him to start sayig to me "Is it safe?" (he knew the ref) while I was in the chair. I made him a card with that image and a "Dr. Chang asks...IS IT SAFE?" tagline.

He also asks me questions when my mouth is open and cannot answer and he will say things like "I know you can't answer - the quesiton was rhetorical" and I mange to utter something like "aaassoole" or worse which always makes us laugh. (I also, when it is time to fill a disposable cup with water to "rinse", take a pen and mark the bottom of he cup, then inform him that this was the same cup that was here last year! "See? There's the mark I made!")

OK - this is dumb. But dentists can be fun.

WOW. You really freak out in the Dentists office, don't you.

Well...probably a touch of OCD, maybe a few profession specific neuroses...but I've never met him, so I can't say for sure...

;)

:applause:

:shrug:

Just what am I supposed to do, when someone opens the door that wide? NOT walk on through...?

It's like our resident fire-crotch says, it's like catnip.

;)