• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Are You Reading Right Now?

115 posts in this topic

And BTW, I'm currently reading Sam Kieth's Ojo.

I'm glad I'm an indy reader. :cloud9:

I love indies. I recently just finished Nexus 101/102.

Sell me on the Goon, Lebowski. I've flipped thru it but it hasn't grabbed me yet. It's probably ten books down on my new things to read list. Tell me why it should be the next book I read.

Let me just ask you this: Can you appreciate a series that can make you sincerely laugh out loud, actually shed a tear, and do it all while getting progressively better as the series goes on?

hm

What issues did you "flip" through?

Let me just ask you this: Can you appreciate a series that can make you sincerely laugh out loud, actually shed a tear, and do it all while getting progressively better as the series goes on?

hm

yes, yes, yes.

don't get me to lying about the issue. I'm sure it was a current one off the shelf, last few months or so.

I almost picked some up on my last trip to Nashville. Come to find out, the creator is a TN native, and the LCS owner that I was talking to was a big fan.

I need to just find a volume one trade and give it a go.

Speaking of comics that made me cry and laugh and got better as it went along and was an independent.

Tales From the Bog is a little known, billiant little slice of humanity that I thoroughly enjoyed. I thought "Flowers For Mrs. Daisey" was about the best fiveish page stand alone story I've ever seen in graphic literature. If I were teaching a short story course, it would be on my silly bus.

http://www.myspace.com/talesfromthebog

EDITED- It's called "Callin On Mizz Jessie", it's 3 pages long (even more impressive) and it's on the link I posted!

I have an ecclectic selection of books on my nightstand right now that I am part way through:

1) EC Archives Two Fisted Tales vol 1

2) EC Archives CrimeSuspense Stories vol 1

3) Witchblade Omnibus vol 1

4) A bound volume of Marvel issues of Conan #26-50

5) Justice League International HC vol 4

6) Secret Wars Omnibus

I just finished Lone Wolf and Cub. All 8300 (or so) pages of it. A stunning series.

:cloud9: Marry me.

:screwy:

Rob, it can't possibly be the first time you've read Lone Wold and Cub, can it?

I remember vividly the beautiful and impressionistic artwork in the whole series. It's funny to say impressionistic when the series can be so violent but the landscapes are out of this world in that series. I have great fondness for the whole story and would recommend it to all. It helps I found the whole set of trades at 1/2-price books and was able to sell them for a profit when I was done reading :grin:

hm

yes, yes, yes.

don't get me to lying about the issue. I'm sure it was a current one off the shelf, last few months or so.

I almost picked some up on my last trip to Nashville. Come to find out, the creator is a TN native, and the LCS owner that I was talking to was a big fan.

First, start with Volume 0, "Rough Stuff." Then, push through that and get through Volumes 1 & 2. If you're not hooked by that point, then I've lost my faith in humanity.

hm

yes, yes, yes.

First, start with Volume 0, "Rough Stuff." Then, push through that and get through Volumes 1 & 2. If you're not hooked by that point, then I've lost my faith in humanity.

And even if, god forbid, you aren't sold by then, read Chinatown.

Yeah, blasphemy is a religous term. Ennis is no fan of Orthodox Christianity, and unfortunately he wears his beliefs on his sleeve, or rather, on just about every page I've ever read by him.

I get what you're saying about his empahsis on humanity. It's a real shame I can't weed thru all the dross, because I agree with you. In Preacher, his emphasis on family, brotherhood, ideals of manhood, romantic love, his vision of America thru the lense of the romantic SouthWest, were good and valuable themes. To me, it was just overshadowed by the other stuff I mentioned.

Mmm... Seems like you were irritated by that one particular drum that Ennis likes to beat on, while really appreciating and enjoying his talents when writing about other things. That's fair enough, but I don't think you could call it a criticism of Ennis's writing so much as a difference of opinion.

I thoroughly enjoyed Preacher's shameless, unapologetic rants at everything that makes Ennis's blood boil, even if I wasn't always 100% on his side (though I usually was).

The one Custer rant I can recall that I didn't agree with was when he bemoaned being labelled 'insecure' if he didn't like homosexual sex. Seemed he had a real chip on his shoulder which, ironically, indicated to me that he WAS insecure about his sexuality! I was surprised Ennis never tied up that thread, as it seemed there was more to tell.

In fact - I remember now - Cassidy seemed strangely hurt by Custer's attitude, which I thought was a clear indication that Cassidy had sexual interest in Custer. It was never mentioned again though. I think perhaps Ennis changed his mind later and just dropped the thread.

Anyway, I've gone completely off at a tangent. Just musing on a Monday morning :)

Yeah, blasphemy is a religous term. Ennis is no fan of Orthodox Christianity, and unfortunately he wears his beliefs on his sleeve, or rather, on just about every page I've ever read by him.

I get what you're saying about his empahsis on humanity. It's a real shame I can't weed thru all the dross, because I agree with you. In Preacher, his emphasis on family, brotherhood, ideals of manhood, romantic love, his vision of America thru the lense of the romantic SouthWest, were good and valuable themes. To me, it was just overshadowed by the other stuff I mentioned.

Regardless, you've got me interested enough to at least try The Boys. I already thought it was a cool premise, and I'm willing to give it a look.

I'm glad you're willing to give it a glance <3 :D

Just gonna say, I don't really recall any specific religion bashing or anything in The Boys...religion isn't really a part of it if I recall properly. You may see differently, but for me it's partially because I wouldn't know much of a religious reference unless it up and slapped me in the face :P

'80s Batman/Detective. He's just adopted Jason Todd. It's been years since I read those comics, so I'm just going through the run an issue or two a night, on average. Pretty good stuff on its merits and a total nostalgia trip for me as I bought all these issues off the rack originally.

I am reading three bronze age classics at once, I rotate them.

DC Comics Classic Library: Roots of the Swamp Thing : Swampthing 1 to 10 by Bernie Wrightson and Len Wein. just an amazing series and I am enjoying it more than Alan Moore`s version(Blasphemous).

the Marshall Rogers Detective run, now this is the Batman I like not that Frank Miller Batman on steroids.

Warlock Masterworks Vol. 2 : Jim Starlin The Strange Tales-Warlock Magus Saga, I can`t see anything topping this. Starlin is a fantastic artist and the man can write.

I am having fun reading the above stuff and it is not dated.

"Y, the Last Man" (volume 6 or 7) and re-reading the 7th Harry Potter :)

On deck: Fables or Sandman or Walking Dead TPBs (and a random SciFi novel probably by Heinlein or Asimov)

hm

yes, yes, yes.

Hey, Lebo. Let me talk you into a gentleman's agreement. You read the first three volumes of Lone Wolf and Cub and I'll read the first three you mentioned of The Goon. (0, 1, 2)

Mmm... Seems like you were irritated by that one particular drum that Ennis likes to beat on, while really appreciating and enjoying his talents when writing about other things. That's fair enough, but I don't think you could call it a criticism of Ennis's writing so much as a difference of opinion.

You certainly could! It's still an objective assesment of his style, motifs and world view. (thumbs u Whether or not I approve of it is when my opinion enters in.

I am reading three bronze age classics at once, I rotate them.

DC Comics Classic Library: Roots of the Swamp Thing : Swampthing 1 to 10 by Bernie Wrightson and Len Wein. just an amazing series and I am enjoying it more than Alan Moore`s version(Blasphemous).

the Marshall Rogers Detective run, now this is the Batman I like not that Frank Miller Batman on steroids.

Warlock Masterworks Vol. 2 : Jim Starlin The Strange Tales-Warlock Magus Saga, I can`t see anything topping this. Starlin is a fantastic artist and the man can write.

I am having fun reading the above stuff and it is not dated.

I am reading the Warlock MM vol. 2 as well and totally agree... this to me was the pinnacle of Starlin's art and overall, his greatest saga. I enjoyed his Captain Marvel run, the Death of Captain Marvel and Infinity Gauntlet, but this run on Warlock was just incredible... full of angst and bitterness like nothing I've ever read in comics.

Also reading anything Green Lantern related, Geoff Johns once again is exceeding himself and proving to me that he is the best writer of the past decade.

Just gonna say, I don't really recall any specific religion bashing or anything in The Boys...religion isn't really a part of it if I recall properly. You may see differently, but for me it's partially because I wouldn't know much of a religious reference unless it up and slapped me in the face :P
(thumbs u enjoyed talking about Ennis with you, Han. (and HB and anyone else I may have forgotten)

Also reading anything Green Lantern related, Geoff Johns once again is exceeding himself and proving to me that he is the best writer of the past decade.

For superhero books, you're probably right. He's got a great handle on the characters and their history. Loved how he ret-conned that Parallax (sp?) mess in Rebirth.