• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Paramount won’t show critics the gi. joe movie, will appeal to patriotism

35 posts in this topic

I am happy this movie was made before Transformers 2 came out. It seems that indeed that Michael Bay has set us onto a new path of movies. Before Transformers 2 people cared about making a good movie because they did not want it to get panned by critics, thereby losing a ton of money going on what the critics say. Now they realize people really don't care what the critics say. They just want a movie where a ton of things blow up. The plot becomes secondary in importance. So it looks like the G.I. Joe maybe a good movie afterall. They just don't care anymore. Enjoy this summer folks. The genre of good high quality artistic action movies is at an end. Thanks to Michael Bay we have a lot lousy movies coming our way.

I am happy this movie was made before Transformers 2 came out. It seems that indeed that Michael Bay has set us onto a new path of movies. Before Transformers 2 people cared about making a good movie because they did not want it to get panned by critics, thereby losing a ton of money going on what the critics say. Now they realize people really don't care what the critics say. They just want a movie where a ton of things blow up. The plot becomes secondary in importance. So it looks like the G.I. Joe maybe a good movie afterall. They just don't care anymore. Enjoy this summer folks. The genre of good high quality artistic action movies is at an end. Thanks to Michael Bay we have a lot lousy movies coming our way.

This sounds like old man "movies were better in my day" drivel. suck it up old timer, the future is now.

This sounds like old man "movies were better in my day" drivel. suck it up old timer, the future is now.

If the future is Transformers 2 and the like... :sick:

No there is no old timer thinking here. The 1980's had some of the most formulized movies ever made. Thankfully I was a kid at this time and so I really didn't care that almost all the movies had the same basic plot outline. I believe the last decade of movies will be looked upon as one of the greatest era's of cinema. We really were lucky 11 years. I think it started with the Matrix, and the Fight Club, and now will end with Transformers 2.

Also, the movies right now are actually good. It takes awhile to write a screen play film the movie, and then produce it. Transformers 2 is a revolutionary movie when it comes to suck. It will be a year before any of the truly bad movies come out. But keep in mind that they will come out.

If the future is Transformers 2 and the like... :sick:

Hollywood would then be happy as Transformers 2 is closing in at a billion dollars gross. ;)

the concept that we only now are seeing thoughtless, action-dominated movies is...well, it's ridiculous. no offense, but these sort of movies have been made FOREVER, summertime tent-pole all-action-no-plot movies are a staple of Hollywood and have been for decades, and saying that "Before Transformers 2 people cared about making a good movie because they did not want it to get panned by critics, thereby losing a ton of money going on what the critics say." demonstrates a pretty uninformed view of how Hollywood works.

Transformers 2 is no watershed, any more than Pearl Harbor was, than The Mummy was, than Hook was, etc etc etc

i don't think anyone with a great deal of knowledge regarding cinema would argue that we were in any sort of renaissance this past decade. quite the contrary

It's usually a bad sign when studios don't show their films to critics beforehand.

But this time it's more than a bad sign for the movie. It's a bad sign for the movie industry at large. By all accounts G.I. Joe is getting good reviews by their small sample. The movie studio is now basically saying. Well based on Transformers 2 it really doesn't matter what the critics think. Yeah, you would probably think that this is a good movie, but we don't care. Transformers 2 has shown us your opinion does not matter. This to me is the start of something really, really, really bad.

the concept that we only now are seeing thoughtless, action-dominated movies is...well, it's ridiculous. no offense, but these sort of movies have been made FOREVER, summertime tent-pole all-action-no-plot movies are a staple of Hollywood and have been for decades, and saying that "Before Transformers 2 people cared about making a good movie because they did not want it to get panned by critics, thereby losing a ton of money going on what the critics say." demonstrates a pretty uninformed view of how Hollywood works.

Transformers 2 is no watershed, any more than Pearl Harbor was, than The Mummy was, than Hook was, etc etc etc

i don't think anyone with a great deal of knowledge regarding cinema would argue that we were in any sort of renaissance this past decade. quite the contrary

If this conversation comes up 5 years from now, we will see who is right and who is wrong. I really hope your right, and this is not a watershed moment.

It's usually a bad sign when studios don't show their films to critics beforehand.

As far as I've seen, it's ALWAYS a sign that the executives found out during early screenings that critics were going to blast it, so they refuse to show it further so as not to water down opening weekend box office totals. Whatever caused them to decide this, it wasn't that "patriotism" BS they told the press. :screwy:

As far as I've seen, it's ALWAYS a sign that the executives found out during early screenings that critics were going to blast it, so they refuse to show it further so as not to water down opening weekend box office totals. Whatever caused them to decide this, it wasn't that "patriotism" BS they told the press. :screwy:

:news:^^

This only happens when the movie is so bad the studio does not want every critic bad-mouthing the movie before it comes out. :eek:

"Sense of patriotism" my foot. Filmmakers know full well that they stand to lose a BIG chunk of change in the international market by making an overtly patriotic and explicitly gung-ho "pro-American" movie. So my guess is that this new G.I. Joe ("Global Integrated Joint Operating Entity") will be about as "patriotic" as Lenin's tomb.

You young whipersnappers crack me up. Y'all consider movies like Holloween, Freddy vs Jason, Blair Witch Effect and krap like that, good movies.

Back in my day, there were good movies. The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. Magnificent Seven, The Shootist (does it show that I like westerns) :)

Y'all wouldn't know a good movie if it was sitting on your nose.

(okay, have some fun wit dat) :)

Don't forget True Grit and The Outlaw Josey Wales...

You young whipersnappers crack me up. Y'all consider movies like Holloween, Freddy vs Jason, Blair Witch Effect and krap like that, good movies.

Back in my day, there were good movies. The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. Magnificent Seven, The Shootist (does it show that I like westerns) :)

Y'all wouldn't know a good movie if it was sitting on your nose.

(okay, have some fun wit dat) :)

Lonesome Dove was a GREAT series. Once Upon a Time in The West was good also. True Grit and Josey Wales were great. Diidn't care for the Yellow Ribbon one. Shanandoah was good. What was the name of the one with Sharon Stone playing a gunfighter? I forget. It wasn't bad.

More recent I liked was Unforgiven. More believable as to how things may have actually been. Heck. Almost any Clint Eastwood movie was good. Even the Rawhide series on TV.