• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If you could buy any 5 books, and sell in exactly 10 years. Which 5 and why?

110 posts in this topic

well he's clearly coming at it, as he said, from a % gain viewpoint only.

I don't think there are really enough people that will care in ten years on those particular books though.

I would find 5 high grade 9.8 niche books that haven`t peaked yet

You'll have to avoid ALL Silver Marvels in this. Whoever that movie star is paying virtually any price for top-census copies over the last year is setting price levels right now that are at LEAST ten years ahead of their time. :screwy:

Hmmmm? Everyone seems to be picking five and six figure books... I think I'll go with lower-end books, (relatively speaking...), that I actually have a chance to purchase and resell.

1. Captain America comics 74 in almost any grade - Classic example of high-demand and very short supply. I believe someone told me this was a Gerber 8, but I may be mistaken on that. Regardless, you can almost never find a copy for sale and when you do it's not cheap. Recently saw a raw 1.8 sell for 1000 bucks on ebay.

2. Showcase 22 - Book is really starting to sizzle due to the movie, but it was due for a serious price correction anyway. Rare book in high-grade and demand is skyrocketing. I think the demand will still be there in 10 years but the high-grade books will be sucked into large collections.

3. Detective 31 - Probably the best Bats cover ever, highly sought after, and low census numbers to boot. Prices aren't going anywhere but up.

4. FF1 (lower grades.) - This book STILL can be had in the 3.0 range for less than two grand. (I know because that's what I paid...) How is that possible? Still trails ASM 1 in price, somehow. This won't last forever...

5. Timely's with the big three... - Any Timely with one of the big three in it, (Cap, Torch or Subby...), slabbed or raw, high-grade or low grade is in high demand. This wont change over the next 10 years because the supply wont get any better and demand continues to increase. Timely's are outpacing the overstreet prices today by anywhere from 1.5 to 10 times guide.

Right now its a good bet but in 10 years who knows?

you have to take in these factors for consideration, in 10 years geoff johns will not be writing Green Lantern(his writing has fueled green lantern mania) and we do not know if the movie will be good like dark knight or bomb like the Spirit.

as short term 2 to 3 years showcase 22 is they pick but in 10 years who knows?

I don't think it will matter whether the movie is particularly good or not. Showcase 22 is positively scarce in grades above fine and it really hasn't skyrocketed yet. (Gone up, yes, skyrocketed, no.) I think good or bad, the movie has made people remember Green Lantern, and the big time collector is sucking up those high grade GAs. There just aren't enough to go around and I believe the book will skyrocket over the next year or so, and have minor increases over the next ten years. Making it a good buy for RIGHT now, probably not in 6 months or so.

in 10 years that movie will be ancient history. Its green lantern. Nice character but the average collector's knowledge of GL probably boils down to a handful of issues. A movie alone without a serious renaissance in the books themselves I don't think is going to cut it. He's been on the fringe way too long. Last memorable GL series was what, the adams run? 40 years ago? maybe the longbow hunters, 20-25 years ago?

He's been on the fringe way too long.

for that matter, a huge number of characters are in the same boat. Hence all the responses on this thread suggesting the same old books - marvel keys and major GA dc keys.

Silver age is priced out... BA is priced out now... CA is common as dirt, and no one has read anything since. Not exactly a formula for explosive success (shrug)

Hmmmm? Everyone seems to be picking five and six figure books... I think I'll go with lower-end books, (relatively speaking...), that I actually have a chance to purchase and resell.

1. Captain America comics 74 in almost any grade - Classic example of high-demand and very short supply. I believe someone told me this was a Gerber 8, but I may be mistaken on that. Regardless, you can almost never find a copy for sale and when you do it's not cheap. Recently saw a raw 1.8 sell for 1000 bucks on ebay.

2. Showcase 22 - Book is really starting to sizzle due to the movie, but it was due for a serious price correction anyway. Rare book in high-grade and demand is skyrocketing. I think the demand will still be there in 10 years but the high-grade books will be sucked into large collections.

3. Detective 31 - Probably the best Bats cover ever, highly sought after, and low census numbers to boot. Prices aren't going anywhere but up.

4. FF1 (lower grades.) - This book STILL can be had in the 3.0 range for less than two grand. (I know because that's what I paid...) How is that possible? Still trails ASM 1 in price, somehow. This won't last forever...

5. Timely's with the big three... - Any Timely with one of the big three in it, (Cap, Torch or Subby...), slabbed or raw, high-grade or low grade is in high demand. This wont change over the next 10 years because the supply wont get any better and demand continues to increase. Timely's are outpacing the overstreet prices today by anywhere from 1.5 to 10 times guide.

Right now its a good bet but in 10 years who knows?

you have to take in these factors for consideration, in 10 years geoff johns will not be writing Green Lantern(his writing has fueled green lantern mania) and we do not know if the movie will be good like dark knight or bomb like the Spirit.

as short term 2 to 3 years showcase 22 is they pick but in 10 years who knows?

I don't think it will matter whether the movie is particularly good or not. Showcase 22 is positively scarce in grades above fine and it really hasn't skyrocketed yet. (Gone up, yes, skyrocketed, no.) I think good or bad, the movie has made people remember Green Lantern, and the big time collector is sucking up those high grade GAs. There just aren't enough to go around and I believe the book will skyrocket over the next year or so, and have minor increases over the next ten years. Making it a good buy for RIGHT now, probably not in 6 months or so.

the movie will be somewhat of a factor but the big factor is Geoff Johns, once Geoff Johns stops writing the book the character won`t be as interesting,samething happened when Alan Moore left Swampthing.

Silver age is priced out...

Wow, been hearing that from various people every year for at least twenty years now. Why's that all of a sudden true now but not the previous two decades people have been saying it? (shrug)

in 10 years that movie will be ancient history. Its green lantern. Nice character but the average collector's knowledge of GL probably boils down to a handful of issues. A movie alone without a serious renaissance in the books themselves I don't think is going to cut it. He's been on the fringe way too long. Last memorable GL series was what, the adams run? 40 years ago? maybe the longbow hunters, 20-25 years ago?

Fair point, of course I could say the same thing about Iron Man, but look what the keys on that book did. Even worse story lines, other than the drunk stories. Did anyone care about this character? Books went up and stayed up, long after the movie was history. (Out of the theaters for 18 months now...) It's all speculation, but the iron man books have sort of defied logic. These books are READILY available in all grades, (Iron Man 1 anyway...) but are still raking in a couple grand for a 9.4. Compare that with Showcase 22, that is NOT readily available and comparable in popularity. (Both characters are probably b-level in their respective universes.) I just think that there may be legs to showcase 22.

He's been on the fringe way too long.

for that matter, a huge number of characters are in the same boat. Hence all the responses on this thread suggesting the same old books - marvel keys and major GA dc keys.

Silver age is priced out... BA is priced out now... CA is common as dirt, and no one has read anything since. Not exactly a formula for explosive success (shrug)

Agreed, that`s why I suggested he pick out cgc 9.8 niche comics, that might not have much value now but in 10 years who knows?

Action 1, Tec 27, Bats 1, FF 1, AF 15, wow that would be a heck of a nice collection. But how about a sub $1000 top 5. Books that you would not be afraid of storing in your house, for fear of a home invasion.

I agree with the 5 above,but to answere your question of top 5 in the 1000.00 range

1.Giant Size X-Men #1

2.Incredible Hulk #181

3.Fantastic Four #48

4.House of secrets #92

5.Green Lantern #76

:cloud9:

Fair point, of course I could say the same thing about Iron Man, but look what the keys on that book did. Even worse story lines, other than the drunk stories. Did anyone care about this character? Books went up and stayed up, long after the movie was history. (Out of the theaters for 18 months now...) It's all speculation, but the iron man books have sort of defied logic. These books are READILY available in all grades, (Iron Man 1 anyway...) but are still raking in a couple grand for a 9.4. Compare that with Showcase 22, that is NOT readily available and comparable in popularity. (Both characters are probably b-level in their respective universes.) I just think that there may be legs to showcase 22.

I don't disagree with you about the characters, or your logic, but the Iron Man run to compare to the Showcase 22 would be Tales of Suspense 39 (first issue) thru, say 49, for the first ten issues. Iron Man 1 was 1968, I believe, long after Marvel had increased their print runs.

I don't know the numbers of SC22 versus TOS39.

good stuff and who knows if there will even be a marvel or dc comics in ten years?

ten years is a long time from now.

Again, not to be a contrarian, but the question was not what are the 5 most valuable comics, which wouldhave Action # 1, Tec 27, Supes #1, 3 of the highest golden age, as well as AF 15, and FF 1, which are flat out the 2 most expensive silver age.

That would merely require you to look on your Overstreet guide, pick the names at the very top of the most expensive list, and walla. It seems counter intuitive to me that the books most likely to make the greatest PERCENT moves are the ones which currently are now the most expensive.

1.Giant Size X-Men #1

No. Nope! Not a chance! You're ignoring the fact that this book is available in absolutely HUGE supply. CGC 9.4 and 9.6 copies of this book have increased in value GLACIALLY for over five years now. X-Men 94 would have gone better on your list in place of GS X-Men #1 since high-grade copies of 94 are in far less supply.

1.Giant Size X-Men #1

No. Nope! Not a chance! You're ignoring the fact that this book is available in absolutely HUGE supply. CGC 9.4 and 9.6 copies of this book have increased in value GLACIALLY for over five years now. X-Men 94 would have gone better on your list in place of GS X-Men #1 since high-grade copies of 94 are in far less supply.

Noted (thumbs u

its also important to factor in what the hobby will be like in 10 years. That is, will the hobby be at its final peak, or still expanding, or already have begun its spiral into Pulpdom??

Id vote for the best of the best shortlist to either have gone up way more in values, or hold their values relative to everything else very well by then.

Consider too that in 10 years rhe Census will have revealed very few SA, BA and Modern books to have retain any claims of "extraordinary scarceness" as they currently profit from, as seen in the "first 9.8 syndrome" happening now.

its also important to factor in what the hobby will be like in 10 years. That is, will the hobby be at its final peak, or still expanding, or already have begun its spiral into Pulpdom??

Id vote for the best of the best shortlist to either have gone up way more in values, or hold their values relative to everything else very well by then.

Consider too that in 10 years rhe Census will have revealed very few SA, BA and Modern books to have retain any claims of "extraordinary scarceness" as they currently profit from, as seen in the "first 9.8 syndrome" happening now.

Good point. I really don't see many Bronze or Copper books in high-grade to appreciate much in the coming years. Too much out there to be slabbed and as more and more copies are found, the illusion of exclusivity is destroyed. As that happens, prices will probably DE-crease.