• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A strange question for this section:

5 posts in this topic

I recently called CGC for the notes on a beautiful looking book. Here is what I was told:

1)Bottom staple attached from back cover.

2)Spine edge wear

3)Scuff near spine

4)Interior back cover and last page are dirty

5)2/3 inch stain on top of spine on back cover

6)Name in pencil on interior back cover

What is the very best grade the book should receive?

It's a difficult question to answer without seeing the book but I was wondering how high CGC might grade a book with the aforementioned defects?

Thanks

Jay

I recently called CGC for the notes on a beautiful looking book. Here is what I was told:

1)Bottom staple attached from back cover.

2)Spine edge wear

3)Scuff near spine

4)Interior back cover and last page are dirty

5)2/3 inch stain on top of spine on back cover

6)Name in pencil on interior back cover

What is the very best grade the book should receive?

It's a difficult question to answer without seeing the book but I was wondering how high CGC might grade a book with the aforementioned defects?

Thanks

Jay

I'm assuming the book looks nice from the front? Tough to pinpoint, but my guess would be a (non-qualified) 5.5, give or take, with bottom staple, stain & "dirty last page" being the main culprits.

I'm thinking that a qualified grade would make sense if it were a NM-like book with a staple pop, but that this is more of an "accumulation of defects" situation.