• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cletus Kasady and Carnage.

32 posts in this topic

I think it would be highly unlikely that Carnage would be in a Spider-man movie before Venom.He is a spawn of Venom after all and without Venom no Carnage and they seem to be following the origins of the villians pretty close in the movies so I think Venom would be a more likely candidate for a future Spidey movie (say Spider IV) as it sure looks as though Harry will become Green Goblin II in Spider-man 3.

I couldn't agree with this more

Looks like this thread is being hijacked by the Venomites.

Probably because Venom is a much more likely candidate.

Why? In terms of the "movie" mythology, it seems more likely (to me, anyway) that Carnage would be the villain of choice. The background on the two is virtually irrelevant, as however sadly, we will never see a "Secret Wars" movie... so the choice in character is going to be based on other factors. Take his appearance and demeanor-- Carnage's costume is much more dynamic (color-wise) than Venom's; his character is a certifiable lunatic, which is much more action-movie-friendly than the complexities of Eddie Brock; and the fact that Carnage (as a character) has very, very little background/history to skirt for all the geeked-out Venomites can only help his case.

But really, I think it all comes down to the costume and what people- read: the casual moviegoer- would prefer to see onscreen.

I just can't see the brain trust at marvel saying "hey let's resurrect that flash- in- the- pan has-been Carnage for Spider-Man 3." Why bother? I guess if we see "Ultimate Carnage" then it would seem more likely to me.

Also, I just don't think that having a murdering lunatic slicing up people is what this particular movie franchise is all about. Done correctly Carnage would fit right into the blood-soaked Blade franchise, but the softball, mass market stylings of Spider-Man? I just don't see it. This isn’t exactly an edgy franchise. I think they're going to stay with the classic Silver Age (safe) villains.

I think they're going to stay with the classic Silver Age (safe) villains.

I agree and it's interesting to think who they could use that would work? I don't see most of Spidey's SA Rogue Gallery working in movies without major reworking. Scorpion, Vulture, Mysterio, and even Electro seem too one note to be used as major villains.

The only viable ones left that could be put on the screen and relatively resemble their SA counterparts are the Lizard (perfect for this series) and Sandman. And Sandy maybe stretching it a bit.

Though with that said, I think the Harry/Goblin angle will be played out in any Spidey 3. The set-up is all there........

Jim

i would like to see carnage,but doubt he will be the main villian.on the other hand how can they not put venom in the 3 movie,like someone said above marvel would be very stupid not too.look at all the press the v-man got when the ultimate version of him came out.i would really like to see spidey at the end of 2 go back to his black suit. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

You forgot one SA villain that is "do-able" in a modern movie: Kingpin. I know he was done in Daredevil, but why would that stop them. I can see a movie with Spidey and DD meeting because Kingpin puts together a super team (ala sinister six). And as for not doing Venom due to the CGI constraints, all of the villains have the same constraints. Why would it be any harder to have the living suit than Doc Oc's legs?

Doc Oct’s arms would be the most challenging CGI effects of all Spider-Villains due to the metal. That requires a lot more attention to lighting and shading. Venom and Carnage would be the easiest, but I am sure they would create a texture for them just for the movies.

Here is my deal with Carnage

1. His character is dependent on both Spider-Man and Venom. So even though I am a Venomite, I really do not see a way around him when it comes to Carnage.

2. Movie people tend to have a problem with characters that are too similar. Their view would be that non-comic fans would have a problem telling the difference between the two. This is one of the explanations why Beast and Gambit were exempt from the X-Films. They felt they were both too much like Wolverine.

3. Carnage borrows too much from other characters and is arguably the least unique character in Spider-Man.

4. He does not have the personal connection to Peter like all the rest do. Carnage is Venom’s problem and Venom is Spider-Man’s (even though Spider-Man still claims responsibility). Kasady was cell mates with Brock and uses the spawn of the alien. His connection is Venom, not Spider-Man.

5. The only impact Carnage has is being a mass murderer. To shock an audience all he can really do is kill a larger number of people. Other than a poor rip-off of a Joker-Humor, he is pretty much just hack-n-slash. Sounds horrible at first, but audiences jade quickly.

Now don’t get me wrong. I would love to see Carnage in a movie. I would rather see him than Doc Oct, Lizard or any of the others. I just don’t think he could carry the antagonist on his own and Venom would need to be involved.

You forgot one SA villain that is "do-able" in a modern movie: Kingpin.

You know I don't really consider Kingpin part of SM's rogue gallery anymore. Daredevil has pretty much sucked up the character to the point where he more vital in the DD mythos than Spider-Man's.

Jim

The background on the two is virtually irrelevant, as however sadly, we will never see a "Secret Wars" movie...

frown.gif

Like you were gona star in it.

tonofbricks.gif