• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvelman...Miracleman...Masterman?

49 posts in this topic

Love him, he's a genius, but he's a social outcast by choice

Pat

No disrespect to the man, but... :screwy:

lol

If it wasn't for Moore you wouldn't be so obsessed with England's greatest superhero because the character wouldn't exist as we know him now.

Moore's been screwed over by some many people in the comic book industry you can hardly blame him for his attitude.

Miracleman is the most underated series Alan Moore has ever written.

I've said this in other threads, and I'll say it here: Watchmen is brilliant. Killing Joke is beyond amazing. "Anatomy Lesson" is un-be-lievable...

But Miracleman is the greatest comic book series ever published in the history of the medium.

It is a crime that the book's sporadic publishing nature and reprint happy first 6 issues caused it to be so neglected for so long.

There aren't words to describe how mind obliterating this series is.

I'm glad I'm not the only that thinks that Miracleman is a underrated series :applause:.I only read #1-10 and what I've read so far have been great,and yes it is a crime that all these legal issues have kept them from reprinting the book that I think is a great series.

Love him, he's a genius, but he's a social outcast by choice

Pat

No disrespect to the man, but... :screwy:

lol

If it wasn't for Moore you wouldn't be so obsessed with England's greatest superhero because the character wouldn't exist as we know him now.

Moore's been screwed over by some many people in the comic book industry you can hardly blame him for his attitude.

Miracleman is the most underated series Alan Moore has ever written.

I've said this in other threads, and I'll say it here: Watchmen is brilliant. Killing Joke is beyond amazing. "Anatomy Lesson" is un-be-lievable...

But Miracleman is the greatest comic book series ever published in the history of the medium.

It is a crime that the book's sporadic publishing nature and reprint happy first 6 issues caused it to be so neglected for so long.

There aren't words to describe how mind obliterating this series is.

Rocky, the more I read your posts the more I realise what good taste you have :applause:

When you say reprints in the first 6 issues do you mean the Warrior stuff?

Yes indeedy.

Well, they weren't 'reprint happy' then. They had to publish those original Warrior stories so Alan Moore could complete what he had started.

Warrior :cry:

Yes indeedy.

Well, they weren't 'reprint happy' then. They had to publish those original Warrior stories so Alan Moore could complete what he had started.

Would CGC grade WARRIOR? I know they don't grade 2000 AD, but what about WARRIOR?

Yes indeedy.

Would CGC grade WARRIOR? I know they don't grade 2000 AD, but what about WARRIOR?

They grade magazines so why not? I don't want to break open my Warrior box but I don't think they are a different size to standard comic magazines.

Yes indeedy.

Are you suggesting that MM #1-5, and half of #6, are NOT reprints, then...?

:devil:

Yes indeedy.

No, I'm suggesting that if they hadn't been printed then all you lot who came late to the MM party would not have known what was going on as you had missed the very funky start to AM's reign.

'Reprint happy' seems to me as if you are implying the publishers were keen to knock out unoriginal stuff.

Yes indeedy.

They grade magazines so why not? I don't want to break open my Warrior box but I don't think they are a different size to standard comic magazines.

Warrior is, sadly, too big to grade. Gemma said they have to be no bigger than 8 1/2 x 11, and Warriors are taller than that.

Yes indeedy.

No, I'm suggesting that if they hadn't been printed then all you lot who came late to the MM party would not have known what was going on as you had missed the very funky start to AM's reign.

'Reprint happy' seems to me as if you are implying the publishers were keen to knock out unoriginal stuff.

Yeah, well...that's not what I was implying at all. (thumbs u

Keep in mind, Warrior was sold in the US as well as the UK.

Savvy Alan Moore readers had already read the stuff in Warrior.

What I AM saying is that, because folks knew it was a reprint, and some had already read it, it made SOME lose interest while waiting the time it took to get to the new stuff.

After that, because of the sporadic publishing schedule, especially after #10, it most definitely fell by the wayside, and many, many people lost interest..hence the tiny print runs. People would famously fill letters columns with "Still waiting for MM #16....."

It took over a year, as you know, between #15 and #16.

I'm CERTAINLY not suggesting they DIDN'T need to reprint the Warrior stuff in #1-6...I'm merely saying that's one of the reasons for the severe dropoff in readership during the time.

Yes indeedy.

hm MIRACLEMAN #1 [font:Arial Black]first appearance of Mike Moran MIRACLEMAN [/font] hm Weeelllll he is CALLED Miracleman in the book, not MARVELMAN. :devil:

Yes indeedy.

hm MIRACLEMAN #1 [font:Arial Black]first appearance of Mike Moran MIRACLEMAN [/font] hm Weeelllll he is CALLED Miracleman in the book, not MARVELMAN. :devil:

The name "Miracleman" actually first appears in a Captain Britain story in Marvel Super Heroes no.387 from July 1982.

Marvel have just published a BFO hard-back with all the Alan Moore / Alan Davis stories in. Both Miracleman as Young Miracleman (called "Rick" rather than "") make several appearances.

The key bit from that report:

"Quality never owned the rights in the first place."

So McFarlane could never have purchased them from Quality.

Marvel have ONLY bought the following -

1. The entire run of 1950s Marvelman stories to reprint

2. The name "Marvelman" and 1950s Marvelman logo and costume

3. Alan Moore's -script for the 1st three books

They DO NOT own

1. The name "Miracleman" or the 1980s double-MM logo or costume

2. The ART for Miracleman 1-25, and Gaiman's SCRIPTS for 17-25

3. The Warpsmith or Big Ben characters

However, they are still "talking" to all the involved creators.

The key bit from that report:

"Quality never owned the rights in the first place."

So McFarlane could never have purchased them from Quality.

Marvel have ONLY bought the following -

1. The entire run of 1950s Marvelman stories to reprint

2. The name "Marvelman" and 1950s Marvelman logo and costume

3. Alan Moore's -script for the 1st three books

They DO NOT own

1. The name "Miracleman" or the 1980s double-MM logo or costume

2. The ART for Miracleman 1-25, and Gaiman's SCRIPTS for 17-25

3. The Warpsmith or Big Ben characters

However, they are still "talking" to all the involved creators.

Thank you-- that's the clearest summary I've yet read of the current status of what's in / what's out of the Marvel acquisition. (thumbs u

Apologize if this has been brought up in another thread...

Will Disney's acquisition of Marvel have any affect on MM? Specifically the Moore run? Content has to become a major issue and I would think the "birth scene", graphically-depicted genocide, etc. aren't going to play well with Disney suits. The potential backlash (think red states) may make any potential upside (and what are we really taking about, tpb sales?) meaningless to a corporate entity.

Hope I'm just being paranoid.

Apologize if this has been brought up in another thread...

Will Disney's acquisition of Marvel have any affect on MM? Specifically the Moore run? Content has to become a major issue and I would think the "birth scene", graphically-depicted genocide, etc. aren't going to play well with Disney suits. The potential backlash (think red states) may make any potential upside (and what are we really taking about, tpb sales?) meaningless to a corporate entity.

Hope I'm just being paranoid.

As have been stated numerous times already, Marvel doesn't own the rights to the Moore run.

I guess I just considered it fait accompli that Marvel would end up with the Moore run. But you're right, we're not there yet.

Which then leads to the question: Will Marvel even bother to get the Moore run now?

I guess I just considered it fait accompli that Marvel would end up with the Moore run. But you're right, we're not there yet.

Which then leads to the question: Will Marvel even bother to get the Moore run now?

I hope so. :wishluck: