• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvelman...Miracleman...Masterman?

49 posts in this topic

MASTERMAN?!?!? WHATT THE *BLEEP* And I'm surprised someone other then me put up a new Miracleman thread! lol Also how much did MARVEL pay to get the rights to Miracle/marvelman anyway? the other guys were going to pay, what $80 million? is thet right? (The budget for the Anon’s bid, who were basically going to use a published Marvelman to kick start a new media brand, reached $80 million for the production of a Marvelman movie planned to be faithful to the first book, with the intention to eventually produce three films covering the entire Alan Moore story.) So how did marvel get marvelman? seamed these guys really wanted him!

It's actually Superman--->Captain Marvel----->MarvelMan----->MiracleMan....

Marvel now owns the rights to Superman. :roflmao:

(I'm a Marvel Zombie. Bear with me.)

hm Well lets all just be thankfull MARVEL got Marvel/Miracleman and not the other guys! I mean come on! MASTERMAN?!?! Sounds like a Japanese superhero name! lol

I wish Gaiman would have gotten the rights. Definitely even over Moore. I'm just afraid that Moore would have never put anything out to make a point.

Pat

What is Moore's Problem??? :insane:

Love him, he's a genius, but he's a social outcast by choice

Pat

No disrespect to the man, but... :screwy:

lol

If it wasn't for Moore you wouldn't be so obsessed with England's greatest superhero because the character wouldn't exist as we know him now.

Moore's been screwed over by some many people in the comic book industry you can hardly blame him for his attitude.

Pat

lol

If it wasn't for Moore you wouldn't be so obsessed with England's greatest superhero because the character wouldn't exist as we know him now.

Moore's been screwed over by some many people in the comic book industry you can hardly blame him for his attitude.

Miracleman is the most underated series Alan Moore has ever written.

Pat

lol

:golfclap:

Pat

lol

:golfclap:

+1 :golfclap:

I picked this up from the comicbookresources site and I thought (for whatever reason) you guys might like to read this, Since Marvel announced at Comic-Con International in San Diego that it had bought the rights to Marvelman from creator Mick Anglo, several of the creators who have history with the character, including Rich Veitch, Neil Gaiman and Mark Buckingham, have spoken publicly about Marvels’ purchase. Image Comics founder Erik Larsen even offered his assessment of the deal and his opinion of Gaiman.

But what about Todd McFarlane, whose purchase of the Eclipse Comics assets and subsequent claim to a stake in Marvelman became central to his bitter court fight with Gaiman?

CBR Executive Producer Jonah Weiland spoke with McFarlane during Comic-Con for a videotaped interview that will appear soon on this website. When asked to comment on Marvel's announcement, McFarlane responded, "Here’s what I know as a guy who’s been living a complicated life: I will be having meaningful conversations with my lawyer when I get home."

"Complicated" is a bit of an understatement when it comes to Marvelman, or Miracleman if you prefer, a character born out of the legal battle between National Periodicals and Fawcett Publications over Captain Marvel's infringement of the Superman copyright. (When National emerged victorious, and Fawcett ended its Captain Marvel titles, U.K. license holder Len Miller turned to Mick Anglo to create an analog character to replace Earth's Mightiest Mortal.)

It's not publicly known at this point exactly what, beyond the rights to Anglo's original 1950s and '60s Marvelman stories, Marvel has purchased. But most of the interest, and the contention, begins with the 1982 “Warrior” magazine revival, by Alan Moore, Garry Leach and Alan Davis, the Pacific/Eclipse U.S. license, and the later work by Moore, Chuck Austen, Rick Veitch, John Totleben, Neil Gaiman and Mark Buckingham. Of those creators, at least Gaiman and Buckingham have been talking with Marvel about reprinting their work.

McFarlane entered the picture in 1996, when he purchased for $40,000 the creative assets of bankrupt Eclipse, which supposedly included the Marvelman licensing agreement with Warrior publisher Quality Communications. Although McFarlane apparently had plans for Marvelman, those rights eventually became leverage in his dispute with Gaiman over ownership of the characters Angela, Cogliostro and Medieval Spawn. It later emerged, however, that Marvelman was not part of the Eclipse assets, and that Quality never owned the rights in the first place.

McFarlane has claimed to hold the Miracleman trademark -- although Gaiman has countered that he only owns the rights to a Miracleman logo. :slapfight: Beyond that, though, it's unclear what stake McFarlane has in the property.

"Todd McFarlane could still sue everyone," Gaiman tweeted shortly after Marvel's Comic-Con announcement, "but I hope he won't."

If McFarLAME is STUPID enough to sue MARVEL comics over this I hope Marvel blows Todd out of the Legal waters! :sumo: Also if it's true Todd owns the MM logo & name it may be diffucult for marvel to reprint the Alan Moore, Gaiman books. (as the word Miracleman appears in the backgound of some panels & there are a ton of miracle refrences in Gaiman's "The Golden Age arc" But at this point I think what Todd REALLY want's is Go AWAY money from MARVEL. Todd knows what he has and he will probably want top dollar for the Miracleman name and 80's logo.

If Marvel still has a decent relationship with Todd, I could easily see them paying Todd a tidy sum for his 'rights' to the Miracleman name/logo/etc. If Todd wants to play hardball, I'm sure Marvel would be happy to litigate. Since Todd's toy production has had some tough times the past few years, I could certainly see this one being settled sooner & out of court.

The key bit from that report:

"Quality never owned the rights in the first place."

So McFarlane could never have purchased them from Quality.

At this point I don't think McFarlane could claim to own anything to do with Marvelman as Mick Anglo created it, or as Alan Moore & co re-imagined it in Warrior. What McFarlane bought from Eclipse was the Miracleman trademark that Eclipse came up with to avoid a lawsuit from Marvel once the Warrior stuff was reprinted in the US.

You could imagine a reprinting of Moore's stuff with all Miracle* references reverted to Marvel* But as one of the other posters mentioned, the Gaiman stuff would be more difficult to revert to the Marvelman name. If I recall correctly, Gaiman built the theme of miracles into the core of his storylines.

Pat

lol

I've said this in other threads, and I'll say it here: Watchmen is brilliant. Killing Joke is beyond amazing. "Anatomy Lesson" is un-be-lievable...

But Miracleman is the greatest comic book series ever published in the history of the medium.

It is a crime that the book's sporadic publishing nature and reprint happy first 6 issues caused it to be so neglected for so long.

There aren't words to describe how mind obliterating this series is.

The key bit from that report:

"Quality never owned the rights in the first place."

So McFarlane could never have purchased them from Quality.

You could imagine a reprinting of Moore's stuff with all Miracle* references reverted to Marvel* But as one of the other posters mentioned, the Gaiman stuff would be more difficult to revert to the Marvelman name. If I recall correctly, Gaiman built the theme of miracles into the core of his storylines.

Exactly why I said Todd is probably looking for a big payday from MARVEL to get the MIRACLEMAN name & logo because in case everyone has forgotten the updated MM Logo is in EVERY ISSUE of the Moore, Gaiman run! Todd could easily say there infringing on his ''logo's'' copyright!