• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Transplant's LOOOOOONNNNNGGGG WW Chicago 2009 trip report

57 posts in this topic

Saturday and Sunday later.

:frustrated:

The suspense is killing me.

You got yourself a page turner goin' around here.

I sat with you at dinner Saturday, how do you expect me to take you seriously?

I sat with you at dinner Saturday, how do you expect me to take you seriously?

And all this time, I thought it was my Avatar that was the problem. :sorry:

I had never been at a con during setup when I wasn't help someone set up. This was my first experience with a feeding frenzy. Frenzy #1 - several dealers diving into headband dude's boxes. Boardies were focused on the stuff out front (SA/BA). The BSD primarily were looking at the GA boxes behind the booth.

IMG_1250.jpg

When this picture was taken at headband dude's booth, I think I was kneeling on the floor looking thru the DC junk.

I think everyone in that picture is a board member. I am in the middle in the blue polo.

I had to explain to some of our midwestern cohorts that people in the South don't drink soda. We drink Coke. The only question is what flavor of "Coke" do you want.

(worship)

I have been trying to "pop" this through the heads of Damn Yankees for years...

I had never been at a con during setup when I wasn't help someone set up. This was my first experience with a feeding frenzy. Frenzy #1 - several dealers diving into headband dude's boxes. Boardies were focused on the stuff out front (SA/BA). The BSD primarily were looking at the GA boxes behind the booth.

IMG_1250.jpg

When this picture was taken at headband dude's booth, I think I was kneeling on the floor looking thru the DC junk.

I think everyone in that picture is a board member. I am in the middle in the blue polo.

Yep, right to left is Greggy, Joeypost, October, Spider-man-on-tilt, me in the black shirt, and Arex holding the ASMs.

Rolled in around noon on Saturday and confirmed what I heard the night before. Leroy Harper picked a very nice collection of GA books. Seller came in and sold to the first booth he saw and that was Leroy. Many nice books were slabbed including a Cole Suspense either 8 or 10, I didn't see. There was a mini frenzy of dealers wanting to have a look at the raw books left. Jim and I had a nice lunch at the hotel which was good as we hadn't gotten to spend much time together. Mother hen encouraged me to eat my carrots while ignoring his own tomatoes.

I learned that someone had sponsored George Perez holding a speed dating thing Friday night. For all the money I made playing poker, maybe I should have gone.

Despite looking for Actions the whole trip, and thanks to George for pointing me to a really nice box of Actions at JHV, I finally made my biggest purchase at Bedrock's. I picked up 2 Fawcett war covers that used to be part of Rick's 1-25 run. Pics to come. Dropped my stuff off and walked over to the forum dinner. Got to sit by George and the Watcher/Angelo. At the table were Chris/comix4fun, Matt Nelson and Matt's apprentice Raoul. Comix4fun had me in stitches. I told Matt flat out that he shouldn't press pedigree and Chris responded by besmirching the reputation of Lamont Larson and his trusty farm animals. It's true that Angelo soiled himself laughing.

I may beat Mike to the story, but here goes...

Sunday I was out finishing up paying for stuff and Mike (Transplant) was watching the booth. Two young guys were digging through the boxes and one of them spots a mid grade Green Lantern 40 priced at $110. He asks Mike what he can do on the book and he drops the price to $100. About then I return...

Young Guy "So what can you do on this book"

Bedrock " What do you want to offer?"

YG "I don't know."

B "You have to have a price in mind. What is the book worth to you?"

YG "Uh, I don't know. As little as I can get it for."

B (jokingly) "How about $108?"

YG "But the other guy already offered it too me for $100!"

B "Okay, so now I have made you an offer of $110 (original sticker), $108, and $100. AND I am letting you know that I will sell it for less than $100. But you have to do some work here. So make me an offer. I promise you won't insult me. Go as low as you want. Just tell what you want to pay.

So what do you offer?"

At this point his friend is starting to giggle, Mike is laughing, and the the poor guy is sweating this obviously tough dilemma.

YG "Uh, I don't know. Let me think about it."

B "So what you are telling me is you are afraid that you might throw out a low price, I might take you up on your offer, and you might actually have to pull money out of your pocket and pay for it. Is that right?"

YG (sheepishly) "Uh, yeah."

B "Well check back with me."

I may beat Mike to the story, but here goes...

Sunday I was out finishing up paying for stuff and Mike (Transplant) was watching the booth. Two young guys were digging through the boxes and one of them spots a mid grade Green Lantern 40 priced at $110. He asks Mike what he can do on the book and he drops the price to $100. About then I return...

Young Guy "So what can you do on this book"

Bedrock " What do you want to offer?"

YG "I don't know."

B "You have to have a price in mind. What is the book worth to you?"

YG "Uh, I don't know. As little as I can get it for."

B (jokingly) "How about $108?"

YG "But the other guy already offered it too me for $100!"

B "Okay, so now I have made you an offer of $110 (original sticker), $108, and $100. AND I am letting you know that I will sell it for less than $100. But you have to do some work here. So make me an offer. I promise you won't insult me. Go as low as you want. Just tell what you want to pay.

So what do you offer?"

At this point his friend is starting to giggle, Mike is laughing, and the the poor guy is sweating this obviously tough dilemma.

YG "Uh, I don't know. Let me think about it."

B "So what you are telling me is you are afraid that you might throw out a low price, I might take you up on your offer, and you might actually have to pull money out of your pocket and pay for it. Is that right?"

YG (sheepishly) "Uh, yeah."

B "Well check back with me."

My version is here in GA.

Richard killed my potential sale.

And I told Richard on the spot that he was one step up from Crazy Ed at that point. lol

lol

Don't get caught up in any conversations with Crazy Ed. He can sell icemakers to Eskimos.

Best to not even make eye contact.

And I told Richard on the spot that he was one step up from Crazy Ed at that point. lol

lol

Don't get caught up in any conversations with Crazy Ed. He can sell icemakers to Eskimos.

Crazy Ed's was the only booth I didn't go to in Chicago.

lol

I won't even walk in the same aisle as Crazy Ed...

I think he has sold me ice... :tonofbricks:

Great report Mike, and it was nice to see you again!