• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Holy Grail of OA?

70 posts in this topic

According to a fellow board member, the cover to GL #76 is supposed to reside in a private collection in California. Was this one of the "stolen" pieces of Adams artwork? I wonder where some of the others reside now?

My guess is that this would fetch more than the HOS #92, but it would be interesting to see them both up together to put it to a test. :applause:

I've never heard where the published GL 76 cover is, but the half inked unpublished cover that was printed in the first Art of Neal Adams book was sold about 7 years ago. In my opinion, it would have been (and is) far superior to the published version. Don't know why they made Neal change it. While the unpublished version would be worth far less than the published, I kick myself for not aggressively pursuing the unpublished, but did not know it could be had for the right price. Guess the old saw about everything having a price is true.

Scott Williams

According to a fellow board member, the cover to GL #76 is supposed to reside in a private collection in California. Was this one of the "stolen" pieces of Adams artwork? I wonder where some of the others reside now?

My guess is that this would fetch more than the HOS #92, but it would be interesting to see them both up together to put it to a test. :applause:

I've never heard where the published GL 76 cover is, but the half inked unpublished cover that was printed in the first Art of Neal Adams book was sold about 7 years ago. In my opinion, it would have been (and is) far superior to the published version. Don't know why they made Neal change it. While the unpublished version would be worth far less than the published, I kick myself for not aggressively pursuing the unpublished, but did not know it could be had for the right price. Guess the old saw about everything having a price is true.

Scott Williams

Oh, and I don't think either the GL 76 cover OR the HOS #92 cover would be close to the holiest of grails (Sorry Stephen) IMHO.

Scott Williams

There's those two chapter splash pages from Captain America 6 and doesn't the cover to Captain America 7 exist? (published or unpublished, can't remember)

I am sure all the early SA Marvel interiors are out there, covers is a different matter.

Clem

The B&B #34 cover exists as well. It wouldn't be the most valuable cover in existence though.

There were rumors that the Captain America #1 cover existed along with the complete X-Men #1 book. The X-Men #1 book surfaced, but I've never seen the Cap #1 cover come to market. If it does exist, then I'd make the case that it would be the most significant single piece.

The Cap #1 cover does not exist. KK claimed to own it about 10 years ago. I rest my case.

Stephen

Stephen, does the X-Men #1 cover (which KK also claimed to own) exist?

yeah that image I've seen before (thanks for posting - its from a marvel tales issue I think) but it doesn't really prove if that art exists or not... it could be an image from a stat, or returned to ditko and cut up... god know what else

Scott Williams

looking at the jpg now, I agree the figure is much more dynamic, but don't you think DC wanted the changes to change the arrow's trajectory, basically? On the unpubbed version it looks like GA is about to sink an arrow into GL's back instead of into the lantern. The reworked version makes the concept more clear IMO even if the execution is less dynamic. The whole point of the published 76 cover, to me, is that GL with GA's help is breaking free of previous conventions (symbolized by the shattered lantern). That idea just doesn't come across in the original layout.

Its a shame they went away from neal's original lettering layout though. The published lettering is too tame.

hm The Wrightson OA fan base just might have the pockets to go up against the Adams piece. Not having seen the GL 76 in person its hard to say but the HOS 92 piece is truly beautiful - thanks the Stephen for posting it.

2c

- action 1 cut up panels

bronty, this isn't correct I don't believe

the cut up panles I don't think are the same panels used in Action #1 and are either the first originals done, or were the comic strip panels.

now if as a historian I were to make a list of teh most important covers, it would be in this order

Action #1

Detective #27

Marvel Comics #1

these three are clearly the winners for obvious reasons that go beyond monetary value. although you can be certain that is any of these ever sold, they would reach heights previously unseen in comicdom

also, the list is different today than it would have been 40 years ago

40 years ago books like Funnies on Parade, Famous Funnies #1, WDCS #1 and Classic Comics #1 would have all been on the list because they were very important books at that time and the comic collecting audience held them in high regard.

to continue the list -

Superman #1 1st all-superhero comics

Batman #1 - cmon, it's Bat 1

Captain America #1 not sure why. I'm positive someone else will say something

the rest in chronological order as historical items:

Planet Comics #1 (art does exist) 1st sf comic

IF the first horror comic should be on the list it is Eerie #0 from Avon.

Crypt of Terror #17 .. well why shouldn't it be??

Showcase #4 - silver age start

Flash #105 - 1st SA hero title

FF #1

ASM #1

Spidey #1

to me it's a short list.. But it's all about history to me.

from a "highest priced pieces of art in covers only"

the list would be quite different

and Steve.. the HOS cover should be at least $750k

:grin:

Other alternate GL/GA covers exist as I've seen them and they're awesome...

- action 1 cut up panels

the cut up panles I don't think are the same panels used in Action #1 and are either the first originals done, or were the comic strip panels.

Richard, this has never been clear to me even after reading the Sotheby's Auction catalog description. Either the panels were used in Action #1 or they were redrawn for Action #1. The panels were intended for a Superman strip but I believe that they were later cut up and used on the first page or two of Action #1...either way, they were the first drawn appearance/origin of Superman...and I understand that it sold privately post-auction not meeting reserve for around 100K.

- action 1 cut up panels

now if as a historian I were to make a list of teh most important covers, it would be in this order

Action #1

Detective #27

Marvel Comics #1

these three are clearly the winners for obvious reasons that go beyond monetary value. although you can be certain that is any of these ever sold, they would reach heights previously unseen in comicdom

also, the list is different today than it would have been 40 years ago

40 years ago books like Funnies on Parade, Famous Funnies #1, WDCS #1 and Classic Comics #1 would have all been on the list because they were very important books at that time and the comic collecting audience held them in high regard.

to continue the list -

Superman #1 1st all-superhero comics

Batman #1 - cmon, it's Bat 1

Captain America #1 not sure why. I'm positive someone else will say something

the rest in chronological order as historical items:

Planet Comics #1 (art does exist) 1st sf comic

IF the first horror comic should be on the list it is Eerie #0 from Avon.

Crypt of Terror #17 .. well why shouldn't it be??

Showcase #4 - silver age start

Flash #105 - 1st SA hero title

FF #1

ASM #1

Spidey #1

to me it's a short list.. But it's all about history to me.

from a "highest priced pieces of art in covers only"

the list would be quite different

and Steve.. the HOS cover should be at least $750k

:grin:

I know what you're saying but the difficulty is that most don't exist, right, and people like myself aren't really sure which ones might.

If they all existed, to me, it would be Superman 1. A killer book with a killer cover. A1 is the well known image but its kind of goofy ultimately where S1 is just classic.

David, I think the panels were re-drawn 2or 3 times

unfortunately I don't have the Sothebys catalog handy, and I don't have the first 7 comic strips either

the comic strip was originally drawn, then later redrawn for Action #1 and then again redrawn for the 1st daily strip is I think the sequence.

Roger Hill did an article on it for an issue of CFA-APA I think about 15 years ago