• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Walking Dead Movie

99 posts in this topic

I think this series is certailny worth taking some critiques.

The beginning issues were ASTOUNDING!!. They took a long time to read, they were wonderfully illustrated and the storytelling really just sucked the reader in.

Once the series got past the initial salvo the dumbing down started. The artists changed and then the story was dumbed down.

Kirkman took close to a year off the series as he found mainstream success with Marvel. I think with working on WD, Invin and Zombies it was just too much for him to handle. I remember it took close to a year for #33 or something like that to come out.

I think he lost a lot of serious readers because I think we all feared it would be another Sojourn/Rising Stars etc. That this brilliant story would just stop because someone didn't have it figured out that far yet.

Then, as the issues started to come out again it was as if they were transformed into some Chaplin movie. , I think I counted 50some words in one issue. The majority of the words were "WHAM.... Ughhhhhhh, Moannn... WATCH OUT" He really got away from some of the interweaving of characters and storytelling.

It seemed like it took forever for them to get out of the prison and to me it just seem's like they are always running from something. Zombies, bad guys, crazy preachers, more zombies, and now his son perhaps?

Don't get me wrong, I love the story. I just think that for $2.99 you should get at least a good half hour of reading out of it. I think that we all tend to read them for the stories, then the art. If they are both present and we like them then it quickly becomes one of our favorites. When one lacks, it seems to studder and potentially stop at some point.

If you compare the earlier ones, they are packed with story and words and great art. The later ones it seems like you can whip through them in a few minutes.

I am sure that I am not the only one out there that see's it.

All that aside, I am geeked for seeing it on the box or screen.

If you compare the earlier ones, they are packed with story and words and great art. The later ones it seems like you can whip through them in a few minutes.

No. I agree with you completely. I still love the series, but you can read an issue within a few minutes now. I wish a little more were put into it because it's a wonderful title, but it feels like it doesn't completely have Kirkman's heart in it anymore. The last issue I bought was #60 because I'm waiting on 6 issues or so to pile up on me so I can be entertained for 15 minutes.

I really look forward to the AMC series. It has serious potential. I just hope it delivers.

who gets 30 min of reading any book today? i blow through even the most dialog heavy books in 5-10 min.

the walking dead is the one of the best books out today. kirkman had issues getting books out in a timely fashion, but it does have that big "i" on the cover of it so whats new about that?

series is much better than movie. i'm not sure if this was shopped to hbo since they were talking about picking up world war z as a maxi-series.

amc is fine, language is uncensored except for the f and c words.

as long as it is not syfy producing it, i'm happy.

j

A series could really be great. If they keep it true to the book, than it will be.

Not sure how it would be recieved by gen pop though. Alot of the stuff Kirkman does in the book has been touched on/done before in the various zombie flicks. Although, Kirkman has done it a little better, imo.

The books have become a little faster to read now. I only read it in trade format, and just picked up the most recent trade last week. I read it in well under an hour.

If it's anything like the book, we all will be asleep 10 minutes after he loses his arm. Walking dead get's my vote for

"Best coulda'been book"

You get my vote for Best Hall of Shame member meh

Whats Walking Dead?

Now Walker Texas Ranger would be a cool movie!

"Jon and Kate + 8 funky Amsterdam vacation"

They're working on that right now....

It's called "Jon minus 9: Red Lights, Big Spliffy"

Whats Walking Dead?

Now Walker Texas Ranger would be a cool movie!

"Jon and Kate + 8 funky Amsterdam vacation"

They're working on that right now....

It's called "Jon minus 9: Red Lights, Big Spliffy"

:roflmao:

I think this series is certailny worth taking some critiques.

The beginning issues were ASTOUNDING!!. They took a long time to read, they were wonderfully illustrated and the storytelling really just sucked the reader in.

Once the series got past the initial salvo the dumbing down started. The artists changed and then the story was dumbed down.

Kirkman took close to a year off the series as he found mainstream success with Marvel. I think with working on WD, Invin and Zombies it was just too much for him to handle. I remember it took close to a year for #33 or something like that to come out.

I think he lost a lot of serious readers because I think we all feared it would be another Sojourn/Rising Stars etc. That this brilliant story would just stop because someone didn't have it figured out that far yet.

Then, as the issues started to come out again it was as if they were transformed into some Chaplin movie. , I think I counted 50some words in one issue. The majority of the words were "WHAM.... Ughhhhhhh, Moannn... WATCH OUT" He really got away from some of the interweaving of characters and storytelling.

It seemed like it took forever for them to get out of the prison and to me it just seem's like they are always running from something. Zombies, bad guys, crazy preachers, more zombies, and now his son perhaps?

Don't get me wrong, I love the story. I just think that for $2.99 you should get at least a good half hour of reading out of it. I think that we all tend to read them for the stories, then the art. If they are both present and we like them then it quickly becomes one of our favorites. When one lacks, it seems to studder and potentially stop at some point.

You're not the only one who sees it. It's a terrible book and Kirkman has little-to-no idea how to tell (and finish) a story. How many times, as readers, must we be bashed over the head with his rather dull point that "WE" are the real monsters? Snore.

Here's an idea for the book: Instead of physically and emotionally mutilating Rick all day long and then surrounding him with new and more ridiculous characters (What's next? A ninja cheerleader? An AK-wielding midget? A cyborg birthday clown?) try ENDING him. I have a feeling considering the rate at which Rick is losing limbs and family members he'll soon be just a widower spleen floating in a jar leading a group of survivors to Dollywood.

And don't get me started on the art. Here's a character guide for those of you who (like me) can't distinguish one person from another:

- Floppy Hat Guy: Wears a floppy hat.

- Black Guy: Is black.

- Bearded Guy: Has a long beard.

- Rick: No arms, legs, neck, eyes, wife or son.

- The Preacher: Wears preacher junk. Preaches.

- Beppo: Alien cyborg birthday clown from the future. Ties balloon animals.

In short, blah.

Also, Comic Supply, get your mess together. You're an embarrassment.

TV or Movie ..... hm Well I would like to see a movie as long as they planed to make more than one so as to fit in all the good stuff. I think that theirs plenty of good stopping points to make a series of movies work. Then again TV would be good I guess .......... Well as long as they do something and MAKE SURE to get right !!! 2c

I'm fairly surprised that AMC chose this book.

As has been pointed out many times, as long as they stay true to the book, keep it a story about the peeps and not the Zombies, then I think the channel doesn't matter.

Definitely an after 9pm series, though, if done properly.

I agree a series on HBO or Showtime would be best, but AMC. We're not talking about American Movie Classics are we?

were talking the same network that has given us just recently

Golden Globe Award for Best Television Series – Drama

2008-Madmen

2007-Madmen.

Emmy Award for Best television series

2008-Madmen

Emmy Award for best actor

2008- Breaking Bad- Bryan Cranston.

AMC is not your grandfathers AMC anymore.

:)

You're not the only one who sees it. It's a terrible book and Kirkman has little-to-no idea how to tell (and finish) a story. How many times, as readers, must we be bashed over the head with his rather dull point that "WE" are the real monsters? Snore.

Here's an idea for the book: Instead of physically and emotionally mutilating Rick all day long and then surrounding him with new and more ridiculous characters (What's next? A ninja cheerleader? An AK-wielding midget? A cyborg birthday clown?) try ENDING him. I have a feeling considering the rate at which Rick is losing limbs and family members he'll soon be just a widower spleen floating in a jar leading a group of survivors to Dollywood.

And don't get me started on the art. Here's a character guide for those of you who (like me) can't distinguish one person from another:

- Floppy Hat Guy: Wears a floppy hat.

- Black Guy: Is black.

- Bearded Guy: Has a long beard.

- Rick: No arms, legs, neck, eyes, wife or son.

- The Preacher: Wears preacher junk. Preaches.

- Beppo: Alien cyborg birthday clown from the future. Ties balloon animals.

In short, blah.

Also, Comic Supply, get your mess together. You're an embarrassment.

zzz

It would be a good series on HBO not a movie. Just like the Preacher series......

(thumbs u

Hopefully AMC is smart enough to keep it moody and edgy, but with just enough humor in it..

It would be a good series on HBO not a movie. Just like the Preacher series......

(thumbs u

Hopefully AMC is smart enough to keep it moody and edgy, but with just enough humor in it..

Wild departures from the book, all.

(thumbs u

Wild departures from the book, all.

hahaha.

i guess the first post pretty much saying the series sucked was a true representation of your thoughts on it.

that settles it. lego is right and all of us WD fans are just fools for falling for kirkman's take on the zombie mythos.

j

you really want to read some craptastic zombie books...pick up that turd from dead dog comics night of the living dead barb's something or other...shameful that someone would take romero's original idea and bastardise it into that pile of a series.