• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Tale of Two Grades (yet another selling question)

18 posts in this topic

Scenario: You have (for reasons unknown hm ) 4 copies of a particular book, let's say Six Million Dollar Man #4. Grades are 8.5x2, 9.4 and 9.6. ALL have WHITE pages. You want to sell ALL the copies.

How do you do it?

My curiosity is would putting all four up for sale at the same time (either on the boards or on ebay) seriously hurt the prices of the 8.5s and the 9.4? Seems most everyone would be bidding on the 9.6 and ignore the others.

If you sold them one at a time would you sell the highest grade first or start with the lowest and work your way up? This seems to be the best profit method, but then someone that purchased your 9.4 might be miffed when they see the 9.6 go up for sale... (tsk)

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

I'd put them all up at once as BINs on eBay with best offer. The problem of having them all listed at once will go away as the high grades sell first. With only a two week completed item search the fact you had more will quickly be lost to history.

I doubt that it would make a very big difference how you sold them. There are customers for most grades. If anything, I would think it would be best to start at the highest graded and work down.

I doubt that it would make a very big difference how you sold them. There are customers for most grades. If anything, I would think it would be best to start at the highest graded and work down.

Yep, start them all as 99c listings and they will no doubt fetch around GPA. Then people who missed out on the higher grades will probably pick off the lower grades.

Scenario: You have (for reasons unknown hm ) 4 copies of a particular book, let's say Six Million Dollar Man #4. Grades are 8.5x2, 9.4 and 9.6. ALL have WHITE pages. You want to sell ALL the copies.

How do you do it?

My curiosity is would putting all four up for sale at the same time (either on the boards or on ebay) seriously hurt the prices of the 8.5s and the 9.4? Seems most everyone would be bidding on the 9.6 and ignore the others.

If you sold them one at a time would you sell the highest grade first or start with the lowest and work your way up? This seems to be the best profit method, but then someone that purchased your 9.4 might be miffed when they see the 9.6 go up for sale... (tsk)

I take it the SMDM #4 example was for illustrative purposes only :baiting:

I would sell them like signing draft picks - sell (or sign) the lower grades (late-rounders) first to establish a base value. If the 9.4 buyer is really "miffed", he can buy the 9.6 too and resell it :grin:

How do you do it?

I take it the SMDM #4 example was for illustrative purposes only :baiting:

I would sell them like signing draft picks - sell (or sign) the lower grades (late-rounders) first to establish a base value. If the 9.4 buyer is really "miffed", he can buy the 9.6 too and resell it :grin:

Yes! Illustrative purposes! That's the ticket! :acclaim:

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and ideas! :headbang:

Depends on the book.

If it's a tough book in 9.6 and will fetch a premium I would do that first.

If you have time to spread the sales out that may help return as well rather than sell them all at once.

Where are you going to find 4 people that want to buy a SMDM #4? hm

:baiting:

Hey, you're getting married.

This is an easy one.

:makepoint:

So does she make you sit in the passenger seat?

Good question, however, I thoroughly enjoyed the series as a kid so I suspect there are other 40+ nostalgic leaning folks out there. And yes, I realize the TV show is different from the comic, but certainly some one bought the comics when they were first published...I mean I do have 4 of #4 right...? Even though this is only for illustrative purposes. (thumbs u

Hey, you're getting married.

This is an easy one.

:makepoint:

So does she make you sit in the passenger seat?

No, you tool. :makepoint: