• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM #129 cgc 9.8!!!!

105 posts in this topic

i just received this email from toychef......what is up w/ steve? looks like he needs to get 893censored-thumb.gif!

"Your so predictable...I just sit back and watch the verbal diahrrea out of most of you ladies on the forum...Your a big waste of time and have no clue what goes on in this market...Nor are you part of it.!!....Now go to sleep and dont waste my time .Cant wait to see you again Philly.... "

Nice. Why is it that most of the BSDs have to act superior to everyone else and make themselves look bad in the process?

i just received this email from toychef......what is up w/ steve? looks like he needs to get 893censored-thumb.gif!

"Your so predictable...I just sit back and watch the verbal diahrrea out of most of you ladies on the forum...Your a big waste of time and have no clue what goes on in this market...Nor are you part of it.!!....Now go to sleep and dont waste my time .Cant wait to see you again Philly.... "

Nice. Why is it that most of the BSDs have to act superior to everyone else and make themselves look bad in the process?

Yeah I really don't understand it. If anything, the auction gets more exposure from being posted here. ???makepoint.gif

A similar reaction ensued from Tom B's X-Men 94 that Jason Ewart had recently. I think if I had a top end key in this grade and people started slating it as ugly, that I might get defensive.

I don't like Spiderman (screw the hyphen) and couldn't give a rat's Juststopit.DoyouWANTastrike? about the character, but I doubt there's a Spidey fan on these boards who wouldn't be happy to have this book in their collection.

A similar reaction ensued from Tom B's X-Men 94 that Jason Ewart had recently. I think if I had a top end key in this grade and people started slating it as ugly, that I might get defensive.

I don't like Spiderman (screw the hyphen) and couldn't give a rat's Juststopit.DoyouWANTastrike? about the character, but I doubt there's a Spidey fan on these boards who wouldn't be happy to have this book in their collection.

ok but why come after the gman? i never said a word about how it looked. And IMO it is a killer copy. boo.gif

Sure, if you're a BSD and believe yourself beyond the "common collector". 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

But that's not the point. Would you like to have a VF/NM Action Comics #1 Restored in your collection? How about that CGC 9.6 Hulk 181 that was so offcut you couldn't read the price or the title?

Sure, but it all comes down to PRICE, and how we VALUE the issue in question.

If someone is willing to spend $5K+ on an issue of "credible lk 81" which originally sold for 5 cents, then don't expect me to compete with that pure, unadulterated insanity.

but remember....

...I just sit back and watch the verbal diahrrea out of most of you ladies on the forum...Your a big waste of time and have no clue what goes on in this market...Nor are you part of it.!!....

but remember....

...I just sit back and watch the verbal diahrrea out of most of you ladies on the forum...Your a big waste of time and have no clue what goes on in this market...Nor are you part of it.!!....

Yeah, and I'd just love to be "part of" the brain-dead, insufficiently_thoughtful_person speculator, maxxed-out VISA, second mortgage coming due, 9.8 addicted "market" that he caters to.

Sounds like a real long-term business plan to me. Kinda like selling Valiants in 1993. 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

ok but why come after the gman? i never said a word about how it looked. And IMO it is a killer copy. boo.gif

Well, I guess you took the flak as a) he had your e-mail and b) you started the thread. That is a bit unfair, given that you didn't bad mouth his baby, so whilst I can understand his defensiveness, he should have been more careful before attacking.

Well, I guess you took the flak as a) he had your e-mail and b) you started the thread. That is a bit unfair, given that you didn't bad mouth his baby, so whilst I can understand his defensiveness, he should have been more careful before attacking.

yeah i don't know how i will go on? i am so broken up over this....... 27_laughing.gif

Sure, if you're a BSD and believe yourself beyond the "common collector". 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

You asked what he had and he told you. You then doubted his authenticity and it was then proven. As far as BSD's go, you couldn't really get much bigger or swingier. He might have come over strong, but he was pushed and I thought he got a bit of a bum rap from some forumites. This is a pity as I'm sure he could contribute massively if given the chance. In purely comics terms, he is a bit beyond the common collector, ie: you, me and most others here. Don't know what he's like in real life, but same goes for everyone else here too.

But that's not the point. Would you like to have a VF/NM Action Comics #1 Restored in your collection? How about that CGC 9.6 Hulk 181 that was so offcut you couldn't read the price or the title?

Sure, but it all comes down to PRICE, and how we VALUE the issue in question.

If someone is willing to spend $5K+ on an issue of "credible lk 81" which originally sold for 5 cents, then don't expect me to compete with that pure, unadulterated insanity.

I'd have no problems with a restored Action 1. I don't own any restored books (that I know of) but when I see the prices some of these GA beatuies go for I tend to think that it's an area I should get into. The Hulk 181 is moot to me as I have no interest in the characters (and the cover art looks pretty cheesy and I imagine the writing is dreck). If it was translated into a book I liked, then I'm not as worried about QP as a lot of others. If the book really was savagely miscut, then yes I'd think twice, but I don't think that's the case with this ASM. It may not be perfect, but the rest of the book is fairly redeeming.

$5000 for a 5 cent issue is what these boards are all about, so you lose me here. You must have spent $100 on a comic at some stage or other ? Yes ? What was the cover price ? In terms of insanity, is spending $5000 or $50000 any more insane than spending $50 or $500. You may get more issues for your money at the cheaper prices, but we're still talking newstand fodder at the end of the day.

You asked what he had and he told you. You then doubted his authenticity and it was then proven. As far as BSD's go, you couldn't really get much bigger or swingier. He might have come over strong, but he was pushed and I thought he got a bit of a bum rap from some forumites. This is a pity as I'm sure he could contribute massively if given the chance.

893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif

Yet another BSD-worshiper accounted for. 27_laughing.gif

Seriously, I don't care if a board member has 1 comic or 1 million NM 9.8's; if they act like a [!@#%^&^], then don't expect special treatment. When I go off, I don't expect anyone to coddle me, and TomB shouldn't assume to be treated like some Forum God, just because he owns some nice comics.

Respect the message, not the messenger.

Plus, those forum members who feel identification with their books, and take negative comments on funny books as a deep personal insult worry me, and probably send many a psychiatrist's kid through Harvard.

$5000 for a 5 cent issue is what these boards are all about, so you lose me here. You must have spent $100 on a comic at some stage or other ?

It was a joke. That Hulk 181 9.6 was so off-cut that the 25-cents came out as 5-cents, and Incredible Hulk read "credible lk". grin.gif

isnt this stephens(spider9698) book that he cosigned with comgeek? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Why would he be selling it now? Did he find a better-looking 9.8 or one with white pages? Will the next census update show 2 copies in grade? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Gene

Yet another BSD-worshiper accounted for. 27_laughing.gif

It's true, my secret's out. blush.gif

Seriously, I don't care if a board member has 1 comic or 1 million NM 9.8's; if they act like a [!@#%^&^], then don't expect special treatment. When I go off, I don't expect anyone to coddle me, and TomB shouldn't assume to be treated like some Forum God, just because he owns some nice comics.

Actually, I thought he was funny. I would've loved to have been able to come out with that "I have 3 Amazing Fantasy 15 9.4's and the highest graded copy..." line. The ability to have been able to do so would have been a vindication of the money spent. Unfortunately, I own a handful of uber-nice books and several boxes of 3.5's to 4.5's. It did strike me at the time though that calling him Tommy Tinkle probably wasn't challenging Oscar Wilde.

It was a joke. That Hulk 181 9.6 was so off-cut that the 25-cents came out as 5-cents, and Incredible Hulk read "credible lk". grin.gif

Aah. I missed that completely, which is a shame because it almost deserved better. I'll try and be awake next time.

It did strike me at the time though that calling him Tommy Tinkle probably wasn't challenging Oscar Wilde.

Hey, it was Little Tommy Tinkle, and I can't be expected to pull out a literary gem each and every time.

I don't know why stephen (spider9698) would not have sold it himself? His ASM 300 CGC 9.8 went for a little less than $1K, and lists a pretty good auction - so he can get the big bucks for this book own his own with out the consignement fee?

Isn't Comgeek the seller who who basically views comics as a commodity IE wasn't a collector before entering the market and really just treats the books as liquid assets. Further, does not possess a personal collection himself? If I'm wrong please correct me, but if not, then I find his generalistic comments about G-man? and the more astute members of this board quite misplaced, as a fraction of the combined comic knowledge on the board surely surpasses his meager knowledge, no?

Read the email...he is not talking about comic knowledge....he is saying that most people on these forums are not relevant in the market.

Just think.....every time somebody pays more money for a comic than somebody on the board thinks is right then that person automatically is an insufficiently_thoughtful_person or a speculator or a newbie etc etc etc

There are a lot of low ballers around who denegrate those who will pay more than they will. sign-rantpost.gif

Jeez....don't know where that came from. Must be my time of the month.

as a fraction of the combined comic knowledge on the board surely surpasses his meager knowledge, no?

893naughty-thumb.gif Now that's not nice to talk about gman like that tongue.gif

I'm sure several forumites (especially up in the New York and Boston area 893scratchchin-thumb.gif I think this might be a Northeast regional dislike frown.gif ) have choice words to share with the g-ster...but I do agree that comgeek misfired the gun at the Gman and probably meant to direct his comments at those who regularly post on QP and their dislike for miswraps.

There are a lot of low ballers around who denegrate those who will pay more than they will. sign-rantpost.gif

That's not fair at all.

I remember when Jason posted a horribly mis-cut X-Men 94 CGC 9.6, and we all had a good laugh (and brought TomB out of the literal woodwork).

But then a week or so later, he posted a seriously nice CGC 9.6 of the same book, and we all in there slobbering all over it.

Quality gets the kudos from the board veterans, regardless of what the label says.