• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM #129 cgc 9.8!!!!

105 posts in this topic

Read the email...he is not talking about comic knowledge....he is saying that most people on these forums are not relevant in the market.

Just think.....every time somebody pays more money for a comic than somebody on the board thinks is right then that person automatically is an insufficiently_thoughtful_person or a speculator or a newbie etc etc etc

There are a lot of low ballers around who denegrate those who will pay more than they will. sign-rantpost.gif

Jeez....don't know where that came from. Must be my time of the month.

I would agree that most of the people on this board are not relavant in HIS market - for the simple reason that they know how to grade and therefore can buy a raw book and submit it themselves rather than pay exorberant multiples of guide. Hey he has some nice stuff but that does't mean I'm gonna throw more money down the toilet than I should for a book. I think more people, myself included need to search for better raw books and slab themselves - of course there's always the problem of the - why is the seller selling high grade raw, why didn't hey slab it mentality. This catch 22 idea is one of the more frustrating things that the collector has to deal with in the new comic market - post CGC, not blaming this on them, but it is a byproduct I notice surfacing more and more.

confused-smiley-013.gif

probably meant to direct his comments at those who regularly post on QP and their dislike for miswraps.

I'm sorry I said the miswrap was ugly.

As a matter of fact...In an fugly miswrap kinda way, it's actually quite attractive.

flowerred.gif

$3,850.00 and the reserve isnt met. The consignors of this book are on some mind bending stuff. That's just complete nonsense. A CGC 9.6 is lucky to go a little over $1,000. There isnt no $2,850 difference there. Bidders at this level are wanting the 9.8 not the book. What a complete joke.

$3,850.00 and the reserve isnt met. The consignors of this book are on some mind bending stuff. That's just complete nonsense. A CGC 9.6 is lucky to go a little over $1,000. There isnt no $2,850 difference there. Bidders at this level are wanting the 9.8 not the book. What a complete joke.

actually 9.6s have been getting well over $2K or the very high teens. This 9.8 may go to $4.5-5K very easily. If memeory serves, a 9.6 went over $2.5K on heritage.

$3,850.00 and the reserve isn't met. The consignors of this book are on some mind bending stuff. That's just complete nonsense. A CGC 9.6 is lucky to go a little over $1,000. There isn't no $2,850 difference there. Bidders at this level are wanting the 9.8 not the book. What a complete joke.

I don't think we will see a 9.6 for 1,000.00 for a very looong time...that's a 1800.00 book easy right now...

heritage:

ASM #129 cgc 9.6

nov 03 $2357.50

oct 02 $2702.50

9.4s have been getting over $1K, I sold one privately for more than that and know of a few more. Right now, the hottest bronze age book IMO (no big revelation there).

As far as BSD's go, you couldn't really get much bigger or swingier. He might have come over strong, but he was pushed and I thought he got a bit of a bum rap from some forumites. This is a pity as I'm sure he could contribute massively if given the chance. In purely comics terms, he is a bit beyond the common collector, ie: you, me and most others here. Don't know what he's like in real life, but same goes for everyone else here too.

If given the chance? No one is stopping him from contributing. I reacted badly to his comments on that thread, but I would still welcome his presence here, and would be interested in reading his contributions.

Captain Tripps is in that BSD league, and he comes off as a very nice guy on these forums.

The pompous attitude is laughable. I can't stand people who are fortunate in one area, and use it to elevate themselves above everyone else, regardless if it's money, intellect, athletic ability or whatever else. Apparently, we aren't supposed to have opinions because we don't have 5 million dollar collections? So maybe "lesser" collectors should just shut up and know their place?

Captain Tripps is in that BSD league, and he comes off as a very nice guy on these forums.

Yep...very humble and willing to answer questions asked about his collection. Plus, he's willing to list his books on the registry for all to see. He's not concerned about others learning about what books he needs! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Yep...very humble and willing to answer questions asked about his collection. Plus, he's willing to list his books on the registry for all to see. He's not concerned about others learning about what books he needs! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I second that! Doug is a cool guy. cool.gif

Have you seen his X-men 94 CGC 9.8? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I don't know for sure, but I'm starting to think Doug is the "High Priest" of S.A Marvels.

I expected to see a killer FF set from him, but this is just incredible:

http://www.collectors-society.com/registry/comics/set_detail.asp?PeopleSetID=532

I'll third that! cool.gif

DAM

There are a lot of low ballers around who denegrate those who will pay more than they will.

This is true. I still get emails from people offering me less then my opening bid on many of my CGC FFs on eBay. One of my favorites went something like this..

"I buy high grade FFs, but never pay over Guide. If you're willing to sell me your XXX CGC 9.4 for Guide, we have a deal."

Of course, I politely declined. Funny, When the same book was BINed for about 3.5 times Guide, I never received a congratulatory email from the guy. 27_laughing.gif

The moral of the story: some people are very resistant to the high end CGC market...I know because I used to be one of them. The idea of shelling out 3-4 times Guide for books was blasphemy, but after ridding myself of my delusions, I came to the conclusion that if I really wanted high grade CGC FFs, I would have to:

1). Find an original owner collection, get it cheap, and slab them myself (unlikely) OR

2). Wait for the Great Crash (unlikely) OR

3). Pay the Piper.

I feel the same way... I wish I could find 9.4 CGC books at guide, but unfortunately the reality is, you can't buy them at guide... so you've just got to eat it. If I want the books, there's only one way to get them... pay the price.

Could that be because dealers come to him first when they've got something good to sell? I've seen several books I know were bought by dealers from E-Bay in his registry sets. Many of the books he's got in his sets, such as many of the 9.8 X-Men 94 to 143 books, have never seen the light of a public listing or auction--obvious direct deals.

Nope, but I did inquire about it's origin. grin.gif