• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Books & Lawyers - Board Knowledge Sought!

21 posts in this topic

This probably won't come as a surprise to many but I am working on a project reviewing how lawyers have been utilized in comic books. This will hopefully become a book project but at the very least it appears that it should be an exhibit at a major University's law school next year.

I am looking to identify any covers or stories that depict lawyers. If a particular character, whether superhero or nemesis, is an attorney by day, that too would be helpful.

For example, although this is comic book movie related, the 1943 Republic serials of Captain America had Cap as a District Attorney rather than in the Army.

Any assistance would be appreciated!

Hi Mark.

There are some excellent examples of (stereotyped) lawyers in Carl Barks' works. I'm sure I recall the firm of 'Grabbum, Shakem, Fleeceum and Skip' from a story somewhere, but Lawyer Sharky from Four Color 408 The Golden Helmet is the one that comes immediately to mind.

Here's the synopsis (from the Gemstone site):

Donald’s and Azure’s first conflict came in 1952, with Carl Barks’ renowned “The Golden Helmet!” When museum guard Donald finds an ancient Viking map in the crevices of an old ship, he learns that it leads to a spot where an incredible gold helmet lies buried, the helmet of Olaf the Blue! It seems Blue claimed North America himself before any other European came to the continent. Should one of his descendents unearth the helmet as proof, the old time “Law of Discovery” will allow that person to take over North America for him or her self. Alas, the menacing Azure Blue plans to do exactly that, and he’s got ruthless shyster Lawyer Sharky along with him to help make his case. Journey with Donald and the boys into the frozen North, where Donald can only beat the villain to the helmet by being rugged as the Vikings of old! Of course, should Donald find it first, he might feel tempted to become King of North America himself!

Great stuff written by Barks when he had a very dim view of lawyers due to a recent divorce experience.

'Hocus, locus, jokus. Which means "To the landlord belongs the doorknobs".'

Mark, there was a long running feature in the Comic Buyers Guide called "The Law is an " that critiqued different comic stories that turned on legal issues and how those legalities were handled. Interesting reading and worth a little research.

Mark, there was a long running feature in the Comic Buyers Guide called "The Law is an " that critiqued different comic stories that turned on legal issues and how those legalities were handled. Interesting reading and worth a little research.

That was my favorite feature each week (outside of the classifieds). Entertaining and interesting stuff.