• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It's official, you're a second tier character

45 posts in this topic

But then by that logic, the X-Men are also a second tier superhero. 893whatthe.gif

This argument makes some sense, but if the X-Men's powers wouldn't have been so expensive to bring to television or film prior to computer graphics, there probably would be more general public knowledge about them. The main reason I ranked them as first-tier in that other thread is because--and someone correct me if I'm mistaken--they've sold more comics over the last 25-30 years than any other character or team.

Oh all right, Marvel UK was rubbish. Overhyped trite rubbish. I've removed the rose-tinted specs. 'Scuse me, gp.

Haha.

I like most of them. The artwork alone was impressive (IMO). I wish I had some of the posters used to advertise them in the local shops.

Then again, I was one of those few people that enjoyed British humor before it became “popular”.

For at least a decade in my opinion.

It is probably relative though because it seems like “Comic Geeks” and those closely related were the few that understood them. I had to endure much “you think that is funny?” growing up. Fast forward to the 90s and they have their own action figures and video games.

And of course I think they are the kings, but there is much more out there.

For at least a decade in my opinion.

It is probably relative though because it seems like “Comic Geeks” and those closely related were the few that understood them. I had to endure much “you think that is funny?” growing up. Fast forward to the 90s and they have their own action figures and video games.

And of course I think they are the kings, but there is much more out there.

Have you guys ever watched Black Adder? After Fawlty Towers (and it's a close run thing) it's the best Brit comedy for the last 30 years. It captures the dry, smug British sense of humor perfectly and often borders on brilliance. It's probably more quoted than Python now, at least in the U.K.

I underestimated in the drinks thread about what's available in the U.S., so I expect that it must've been shown at some point in the big country. (PBS?)

Don't forget the Fast Show, which is awesome. The only other one I thought much of was Who Dares Wins in the 80's, but I don't think that's ever been repeated.

Having lived in Belgium most of my life, and growing up in the 70's and 80's, I can say apart from the Adam West Batman show, there were no superheroes on TV at all, and we had 21 channels from 11 different countries even then...

As a child I went to the UK about once a month with my mother on shopping trips to London and Southend-on-Sea (she was a stewardess) and she bought me 'English' comics like the Beano, Whizzer & Chips, Dandy and Roy of Rovers.

Along the way DC (ans some Marvel) must have slipped in and after a few trips they were all I was interested in.

But I also remember seeing the first Mego (Palitoy in the UK ??? if I remember correctly) actions figures in a shop and buying a lot of Planet of the Apes, a Spider-man, a Batman and a Superman doll. They also had a Captain America and a Thor, but I had NO idea who they were...

Today in Belgium, Batman and Superman are pretty well-known, next is the Hulk (due to the Bixby series) and then probably Spider-man (movie was huge and really broke out the character). X-men are pretty well-known the 15-20 age group, we had a national TV channel that broadcast the first series of cartoons for years during the weekends.

Most adults have no idea that the X-men movie has anything to do with the comics.

Nobody knew who that Daredevil chap was when his movie came out...

Fawlty Towers rules and should win the BBC 'best sitcom' prize in the Spring, Blackadder (especially the second series) is a close second, but The league of Gentlemen is firmly rooted at the third spot in my house...

The Office and The Fast show (although not a sitcom) are contenders as well...

Nothing has ever made me laugh so much as Basil Fawlty's antics, I rolled on the floor laughing when I was 9 and saw it aired for the first time and still think it's the dog's bollocks when I watch it on DVD...

Black Adder is good, but I still think Python is better.

I hate to admit it, but my wife got me hooked on Absolutely Fabulous.

GP was right to mention the Fast Show. Who Dares Wins was very underrated, but it's sunk without trace.

My recommendation is to buy a Multi Region DVD, get on to Play.com and seek out the Fast Show, Alan Partridge, The Day Today, Brass Eye - in fact anything with Steve Coogan in it. Not too many difficult cultural references - to be honest we Brits underestimate you guys when it comes to "getting" certain series.

Also magnificent is Father Ted, a surreal and daft show about Catholic priests on a remote Irish island. IMO it's peerless stuff. Both writers are Seinfeld obsessives (it's my favourite U.S. sitcom too, along with Larry Sanders) so it should be accessible.

A new sketch show called Little Britain has also been first rate, but it isn't out on DVD yet.

Absolutely Fabulous was okay for one episode, and then I noticed how self-indulgent and lame it was. And badly written and acted. How could you........

I never got Ab Fab either, although the comic-hater in the house loves it.

You're right about Father Ted, great stuff ! Anyone who hasn't seen it, don't get put off by the concept, you don't have to be a Catholic to get it and you don't have to be religious.

I liked the original Alan Partridge series, but it doesn't make it for me on repeats. He's obviously talented though.

errr, Ive got 30 issues of Excalibur 1 sitting in a box... is it time to release them on an unsuspecting world ....?

I've got loads of unprocessed Excaliburs sitting in boxes that I can't be bothered to price as no-one wants them. Alan Davis was good, but the book just sticks.

I'd wait a few years. Until they make a movie of the comic. Sillier things have happened - Keanu Reeves as Constantine, anyone?

Don't Even go there I haven't had my morning coffee yet. 893naughty-thumb.gif I keep thinking I'll wake up from this bad dream and Sean Bean, or at least someone British will have been cast - Any comments from the UK? I can see Alan Moore shooting Movie executives as we speak. 7_2_120.gif

Fair enough. At the moment the venerable BBC is hosting a series called the "Greatest British Sitcom" a cut and paste list program that they've spun out over three months to discover the nation's favourite Britcom, in which viewers cast their vote by text, web etc. What a nation of couch potatoes we are indeed.

Some of the nominees in the Top Ten are acceptable enough - Fawlty, Black Adder, Yes Minister (adroit political satire), Porridge, Only Fools And Horses. (Python doesn't qualify as it wasn't a sitcom). Red Dwarf, Father Ted and Steptoe And Son just missed the cut.

Excrement such as the truly abysmal Vicar of Dibley and Open All Hours made it to the final 10. As did the very dreary and overrated One Foot In The Grave.

As Tenacious D said in Tribute, "It's just a matter of opinion......."

P.S. 12 episodes of Fawlty Towers. 24 Black Adders. 200 episodes of Seinfeld. We've done great things, but only in all too brief bursts.

errr, Ive got 30 issues of Excalibur 1 sitting in a box... is it time to release them on an unsuspecting world ....?

I've got loads of unprocessed Excaliburs sitting in boxes that I can't be bothered to price as no-one wants them. Alan Davis was good, but the book just sticks.

I'd wait a few years. Until they make a movie of the comic. Sillier things have happened - Keanu Reeves as Constantine, anyone?

Don't Even go there I haven't had my morning coffee yet. 893naughty-thumb.gif I keep thinking I'll wake up from this bad dream and Sean Bean, or at least someone British will have been cast - Any comments from the UK? I can see Alan Moore shooting Movie executives as we speak. 7_2_120.gif

I honestly believe that the only choice that Hollywood could have made that would have been worse than Keanu Reeves as Constantine would be for Meg Ryan to have played him. Or Michael Clark Duncan. Or Mahatma Ghandi!!!!

I've been very angry about this, er, casting decision. Reminds me of when Fawlty Towers was bought up by a U.S. network and for their version, they wrote Basil out. Incredible. And idiotic, of course.

Sean Bean's not a bad choice.....ironically I thought of Guy Pearce as he certainly LOOKS the part, but whether he can do Mockney is another matter. He could reprise the look he had in Memento (fantastic film). Also there's Jonny Lee Miller (from Trainspotting), Jude Law (he's got range) and, er, that's it. An English unknown who's pasty, gnarled and underweight would be acceptable. Anyone, that is, except Mr. Reeves.

we get a filtered list of Britcoms mainly from PBS: that said , 'Are you being Served' was always one of my favorites.

What is it with you guys and that camp as Christmas turkey?? Even when I was 11 I thought those Mrs. Slocombe's [!@#%^&^] gags were sheeite. That said, it's very much a document of the era.