• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Strike 3 - Mmmarvel

128 posts in this topic

Relax........it was a non-event.

Ultimately, I think it will be one of those threads where the legend becomes a lot bigger than the true reality. It didn't really get inflammatory right up until the end, after MMM got the 2nd strike. Then, right after he posted his response to that, he got blackballed.

Sounds like fun. What happened in the end ?

I think MMM's last post was the one where he referred to someone as a "she-male nancy".

MODERATOR !

This is like deja-vu all over again... insane.gif

Yeah, I think he did call the moderator that! Since I'm referring to the insult in quotations, and not directing it at someone, your attempt to get me a strike will surely fail.... 893naughty-thumb.gifcool.gif

OK then. By that logic you can some some really nasty swear words and insults, but if you put them in quotations you're ok. Surely the system can't be that feeble ? I need to be policed godamit and I can't take your attempts to circumvent the expulsion of all that is foul and abusive.

I blame it all on the comics. Wertham was right you know.

Yeah, I think he did call the moderator that! Since I'm referring to the insult in quotations, and not directing it at someone, your attempt to get me a strike will surely fail.... 893naughty-thumb.gifcool.gif

OK then. By that logic you can some some really nasty swear words and insults, but if you put them in quotations you're ok. Surely the system can't be that feeble ? I need to be policed godamit and I can't take your attempts to circumvent the expulsion of all that is foul and abusive.

You can't resist. Come on over to the dark side. It's a lot more fun over here..... devil.gifdevil.gif

You can't resist. Come on over to the dark side. It's a lot more fun over here..... devil.gifdevil.gif

England or New England ? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Take your pick. In New England it's cold now, and I'm sure in England it's rainy!

Yeah and it's cold too ! The traffic in London sure sucks as well. Plus, I'm 3000+ miles away from all those lovely comics. Actually, if I had my way we'd go somewhere that like, but the wife will never go so I guess I'm stuck here.

Take your pick. In New England it's cold now, and I'm sure in England it's rainy!

Yeah and it's cold too ! The traffic in London sure sucks as well. Plus, I'm 3000+ miles away from all those lovely comics. Actually, if I had my way we'd go somewhere that like, but the wife will never go so I guess I'm stuck here.

Do you mean you're 3000+ miles away from all of my lovely books? Don't be too disappointed. They're a pile of garbage, really. Would you really like to come and live in the US?

I'd quite like to leave England, there's lots I don't like about it (far too many bricks for my taste). Not speak another language, my options are restricted. Of all the parts of the US that I've seen on TV, New England looks the nicest. I'm sure the standard of living there is much higher, but as I say, for family reasons I'm stuck here. Mind you, the TV, booze and football are good. laugh.gif

You don't play football over there, you play soccer!! tongue.gif Does anyone care that David Beckham is not playing there right now?

Your television must be pretty good, specifically the comedies, as American television has adapted so many of them for our audience over the years. I've always loved Mr. Bean as well.

In the US, New England would probably be the place most closely approximating your climate, and the English spoken over here seems to most closely resemble the "British" accent.

"It's football ! Soccer is what you do to your wife". I put that in quotes, so I should be ok. I think a lot of people would like to see Beckham back in the country, but most of them are 14 year old girls, so I'm not sure they count.

You'd probably be surprised at the percentage of TV from the US over here, particularly on the satellite channels. I never did get Mr Bean, but I think Frasier one's of the funniest things I've ever seen (except for the last few series).

There was a thread a little while back where BSD Brulato got on here and tried to B**CH slap JC...

27_laughing.gif Yeah, with the emphasis on TRIED.

What struck me most in that thread was how bad B's grammar was. I don't know if he was being hasty, or was angry or whatever, but I guess I expected him to be a little more eloquent than he was.

JC did handle himself very well in my opinion. I think a bunch of people wanted to see him crash and burn or get shut up, and it didn't really turn out that way...

LINK, please!!!!! Gotta see this. The Clash of The Titans!!!!

It was titled something like "X-men 94 9.6" and was maybe 6 weeks ago. Unfortunately it doesn't get interesting until about page 11 ! Rob Reacts (great) site did have a link if you can't find it normally.

"It's football ! Soccer is what you do to your wife". I put that in quotes, so I should be ok. I think a lot of people would like to see Beckham back in the country, but most of them are 14 year old girls, so I'm not sure they count.

You'd probably be surprised at the percentage of TV from the US over here, particularly on the satellite channels. I never did get Mr Bean, but I think Frasier one's of the funniest things I've ever seen (except for the last few series).

Do you mean you never were able to see Mr. Bean, or just didn't understand why people thought it was funny? For me, just looking at Rowan Atkinson made me laugh. His facial expressions were priceless, and I thought the way he only spoke in those quiet mumbles were funny as well. I especially liked the Christmas episode where he got the turkey stuck on his head!

I think Frasier is funny as well. I especially like the twerpy brother, Niles. Is the woman who plays Daphne a big celebrity in Britain, or is she known mainly in the US?

I never found Mr Bean funny. I do like Rowan Atkinson, especially in Black Adder, but the face pulling stuff left me cold. He was doing that sort of thing in Not The Nine O'Clock News in the late 70's.

Daphne is a minor celebrity as Frasier is a fairly minority show. You're right, Niles is the star. I can't stand when Daphne's relatives show up and do English accents that Van Dyke would have been offended by. Funny thing is, I gather Martin is also English and really was born in Manchester.

I never got into Black Adder myself, but I know my mother seemed to enjoy it very much.

Do you know for sure that the actor who plays Martin on Frasier (John Mahoney, correct?) is from England? He must have moved to the US quite a long time ago, right? He's had that same accent (sort of the rugged, Irish, New York ex-cop type of accent) in every role I've seen him in.

Thanks for the link. I would imagine he must have lost the British accent altogether by now. Have you ever heard an interview with him?

I hadn't realized until I saw his credits that I've seen and enjoyed him in so many things.

My mother was born in England, actually. Do you know where Derby is located?