• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM 1 CGC 9.4

37 posts in this topic

i hate to say it, but this cover just does nothing for me. i have a couple mid/high copies and they just don't have a lot of appeal. (IMO). it's probably that washed out greenish color, because given when it came out and who all is on the cover, it should stir the soul.......

i guess this thing will go for what??? ($120,000)?? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Last two CGC 9.4s sold for around $50K and the last CGC 9.6 went for around $90K

I find it pretty interesting that during the speculator frenzy of 1991-93, AF 15 NM raw copies were selling for up to $50K.

So contrary to this "excellent investment" hype, after 10+ years, you'd break even if it came back a CGC 9.4, but most likely lose your shirt with an 8.5-9.2 copy (or jump off a building after getting a PLOD). tonofbricks.gif

Last two CGC 9.4s sold for around $50K and the last CGC 9.6 went for around $90K

I find it pretty interesting that during the speculator frenzy of 1991-93, AF 15 NM raw copies were selling for up to $50K.

So contrary to this "excellent investment" hype, after 10+ years, you'd break even if it came back a CGC 9.4, but most likely lose your shirt with an 8.5-9.2 copy (or jump off a building after getting a PLOD). tonofbricks.gif

893naughty-thumb.gif Read again - FF's prices above are for Spidey 1, not AF 15.

I believe the only copy of AF 15 to come near $50k in the early 90's was the WM AF 15, which sold in the 1993 Sotheby's auction for a then-record amount for a SA book (I believe it was a part-trade deal "worth" around $40k.) GPA shows a 9.4 AF 15 sale of $86k a year ago, Bob sold one for ???, and of course Mark Wilson has his at $150k.

I believe the only copy of AF 15 to come near $50k in the early 90's was the WM AF 15, which sold in the 1993 Sotheby's auction for a then-record amount for a SA book (I believe it was a part-trade deal "worth" around $40k.) GPA shows a 9.4 AF 15 sale of $86k a year ago, Bob sold one for ???, and of course Mark Wilson has his at $150k.

Wasnt Bob's the first 9.4 to surface at San Diego a few years ago, stickered at 100K and later sold in the low 80s??

JC - - an AF 15 that was bought for 50K ten years ago, and came back a 9.4 today would be worth twice (or a bit more) than the buyer paid for it. I think you're comparing the purchase price to current 9.4 Overstreet Guide which we all know is way less than the book would get on the market today when you stated that the buyer would "lose his shirt".

So, you can argue that doubling your money in 10 years isnt a super-fantastic bull market return on investment, but its not in any way a fiasco!

So, you can argue that doubling your money in 10 years isnt a super-fantastic bull market return on investment, but its not in any way a fiasco!

Sure, but that's a best-case scenario, and why do we never hear these "investment gurus" talk about the poor saps who paid $30K for a NM raw copy, and then sold it for a fraction of that when the book comes back CGC 7.5 PLOD?

...why do we never hear these "investment gurus" talk about the poor saps who paid $30K for a NM raw copy, and then sold it for a fraction of that when the book comes back CGC 7.5 PLOD?

Simple - com1c_keys only runs "private auctions", so we never know who bought the PLODs in the 1st place!! 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Anyone have any public sales data for "NM" copies of AF 15 or AS 1 in the early 90's? I'll have to check my CBM's later to get the data on the WM AF 15...

Aman - there is one noted CGC 9.4 AF 15 sale from the early days of CGC noted in last year's OS (#32), and it's listed as selling for $95k. Bob's copy?

I have sold four (4) AF #15's

CGC VF/NM 9.0 on 11/1/2000

CGC VF 8.0 on 3/8/2003

CGC NM 9.4 in 2000

CGC NM- 9.2 on 12/11/2003

Thanks...looks like either another 9.4 copy sold in 2000/2001, or OS has incorrect data on yours. Do you recall the big-auction house sales data for this book prior to CGC?

I have sold four (4) AF #15's

CGC VF/NM 9.0 on 11/1/2000

CGC VF 8.0 on 3/8/2003

CGC NM 9.4 in 2000

CGC NM- 9.2 on 12/11/2003

Thanks...looks like either another 9.4 copy sold in 2000/2001, or OS has incorrect data on yours. Do you recall the big-auction house sales data for this book prior to CGC?

WM copy sold in the 1994 Sotheby's auction for over $40K. I can get the exact amount later once I go home!