• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opinion on this Auction.....

18 posts in this topic

Hi Folks,

I've been eye-balling this book for a day and can't decide if the book is as good as it looks. Not saying I would want to pay $700 for this, but does it look like it has had a trim or any restoration? Just looking for opinions, haven't come to any conclusions myself.

Thanks, Red

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2217103209&category=76

He added this info in his listing:

On Jan-12-04 at 00:06:38 PST, seller added the following information:

I was putting together some high res pictures for a bidder and realize the book is signed by Jack Kirby.

If you are really interested you should ask for this "high res" scan...you can then make a better assesment of the book... thumbsup2.gif

Wow, I completely missed the fact that this book was being offered by the same folks who put up those waterlogged X-men.......I will ask for the higher res scan, but I am probably going to steer clear of this. Thanks guys, it's great to have you on my side of the mouse!

Brad

red - this certainly looks like a nice book from the average size scan. i tried blowing it up and nothing jumped out at me. i would suspect that if there's any problems, it would be on the spine which you just can't quite make out due to size of scan and colors.

but, the x-men auction provided by JC is pretty laughable and those were called VF-.

so i'd get the high res scan and let us know what you learn. (it does look nice, though.....) 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The Amazing Adventures definitely looks nice, though a bigger scan would help.

You didn't think those X-Men were accurately graded? I thought they were both about VF-.

- 2 or 3 full grades.

27_laughing.gif

By the way--I finally got a scanner that scans CGC books!

Pictures coming soon..

Charlie

By the way--I finally got a scanner that scans CGC books!

Pictures coming soon..

Charlie

thumbsup2.gif

What kind is it and how much did it cost? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

UMAX Astra 2330P, cost me a big $27.00 on ebay, $5.00 for the scanner and $22.00 for shipping.

The only problem is, it's slow. Very slow.

Now, I scanned all my books at 100% and I'm struggling with the images because they're too big. I want to avoid rescanning them (due to slow scanner) so I'm working on resizing them. I'll be putting up some nice ones soon--starting with a Captain America Comics # 53. I'll put them up without the labels so you can test your grading skills. :-)

Charlie

The seller did post some huge scans of this book (Amazing Adventures #1): I've reduced them by about half size just to post them here.

Two questions:

1) Should I be concerned about restoration?

2) What might this grade out to per CGC?

Thanks, Red

AAfront.jpg

AAback.jpg

Nice looking book.

I'd say that's a 9.2 at least.

Maybe 9.4 if the Golden-Age curve is used.

One thing...

That yellow cover looks incredibly clean if you get my drift. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

It's hard to pick up light surface wear in scans, but I think there is some on one of the dialog balloons.

I'm most concerned about trimming....those edges look incredibly sharp. There aren't a lot of CGC graded copies of this book. Twenty non-restored copies graded.....with two 7.5 s leading the pack.

That washed out look to the blacks on the cover seems to be standard with this issue. Not sure why.

I'd be worried about trimming along the top edge - there should be cover overhang on this book and from the back cover scan, it looks like the pages are flush with the top of the cover. No evidence of excessive overhang (or any really) along the bottom to account for the lack along the top.

"I'd be worried about trimming along the top edge"

I think you hit the nail on the head, Doc. thumbsup2.gif The top edge is just too straight and clean for this book + if you look closely, there's a slight protrusion of paper (above the trim line) on the top edge very close to the spine where whoever trimmed it fouled up and went out of line.

I think that the right edge is suspect as well. look at the back cover bottom left corner. There's a triangular piece missing that seems to be typical of what I've seen on trimmed books where the corner that is the end of the cut (if cut top to bottom) broke off.

Definite top edge, likely right edge trims

nice catch on the lower piece missing. i am going to guess everyone gave up on this book long ago, but i love to jump on an eighty mile an hour bandwagon. the only natural side is bottom. there is a dip rear cover top above the easel, and above the "ind" spine top front, that scream out to me " RUN, and run QUICKLY. smirk.gif