• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wow....my puny $65 holder bid was just blown out of the water.

88 posts in this topic

Highest graded, 9.6, white pages, perfectly centered, semi key.

A 9.4 just sold for $568 so $1000 is not unreasonable based on multiples I have seen.

It's a lot of money but it doesn't surprise me. It's pretty much the perfect book if someone is looking for the "best" available right now.

A 9.4 just sold for $568 so $1000 is not unreasonable based on multiples I have seen.

It's a lot of money but it doesn't surprise me. It's pretty much the perfect book if someone is looking for the "best" available right now.

Like I said...I was delusional. I don't have GPA but expected the book probably had a high track record. It is an awesome book though.

Like I said...I was delusional. I don't have GPA but expected the book probably had a high track record. It is an awesome book though.

Plus, it's a Boston copy.

Exactly, add old label in there and I bet there is a possibility it could get squished to a 9.8.

and an old label, so it's less likely to have been sat on by an elephant (jeez, you've got to be quick around here)

Exactly, add old label in there and I bet there is a possibility it could get squished to a 9.8.

I think a lot of people take that as a given but there are plenty of old labels that have been over graded as well. I don't know how much water that theory actually holds.

That book is VERY hard to find in high grade, so while high, that price isn't really loony.

I don't feel that it is loony....just that it shot up and shot up quickly. I placed my holder bid a day ago expecting to make a run at it later. This morning when I logged on to check bid status, it was at a grand. Talk about not even getting to play.....I am already having to take my ball and go home. Sometimes you bid hoping that I book might remain reasonable. I seriously under-estimated this one is all I was saying by my opening post.

I will have to concentrate on the one pre-code that I really want now.

This price is rediculous, when you really think about it.

Prices on many books are silly right now. I know the sellers and holders are delighted, but there is a disconnect right now, between common sense (which is very uncommon these days) and addiction.

There is a frenzy to have the best, when third best is sweet. How much better is this book to a 9.4? Miniscule. Maybe even just a bad (or good) day by the CGC grade assigners.

It would be a different thing if it was a Golden Age book.

I think I am done buying books, unless they are Golden Age and reasonably priced (yea, I know, good luck with that).

It's just getting too rediculous. I can't justify it for collecting. Flipping new krap is one thing (to make some profit off of the band wagon riders), but collecting is another altogether.

Yep. I'm done.

I think a lot of people take that as a given but there are plenty of old labels that have been over graded as well. I don't know how much water that theory actually holds.

It's probably a reasonable generalization that old label books are less likely to have had a pressing.

It's probably a reasonable generalization that old label books are less likely to have had a pressing.

I understand the generalization. I just don't think it's as true as it might initially seem to be.

CGC switched labels in 2003.

I'll bet CGC has graded WAY more books from 2003 till now then they did in their first 3 years of existance. Even if half the books from 2003-2009 were pressed you still likely have that many more unpressed books.

I've also had several old label books drop in grade on resub.

I've yet to notice a pattern myself on old vs new labels.

I agree with all you've said, Roy. It's just a question of percentages more than anything.

Gotcha.

Percentages vs. sheer numbers.

(thumbs u