• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

THE 10 MOST IMPORTANT EVENTS IN COMIC FANDOM/COLLECTING HISTORY

102 posts in this topic

Number 1 should probably be the creation of Superman.

Maybe the creation of the comic book as we know it would be # 1? Without Famous Funnies there's no Superman. Maybe?

(First person to metnion Obidiah gets it! :sumo:)

I was thinking about that, but in terms of modern collecting, Superman would be key, I suppose.

See? I told you what would happen if you used up the board quota of exclamation points.It only allowed you one in the whole thread.

If you used them in moderation, this wouldn't happen...

:whistle:

You need to skip a space after your first sentence and your second sentence is a fragment.

There's no possible way I can take your oppinions seriously.

I would put Stan, Jack, and Steve start the Modern Age of comics in there somewhere.

And you absolutely must put something about Dr Werthram and SOTI in the top 10. It is probably the most significant thing that ever happened in comics from a historical perspective.

be interested to hear peoples opinions on this one

1.Bob overstreet starts the OPG circa 1970

2. Chuck Rozanski discovers and sells the Edgar CHurch collection

3. the 1st comc convention! when and where and who?

4. the 1st comic fanzine ?rocket blast??

5. cgc opens in 1999

6. dave anderson purchases Mile High Action1-10 run in the early 80's

7. cgc deems pressing is not restoration

8. jason ewert is exposed as a fraud

9. 1 million dollars is offered for Action Comics in NM in 2001

discuss!

You're not big on details, are you? hm

See? I told you what would happen if you used up the board quota of exclamation points.It only allowed you one in the whole thread.

If you used them in moderation, this wouldn't happen...

:whistle:

You need to skip a space after your first sentence and your second sentence is a fragment.

There's no possible way I can take your oppinions seriously.

That's ok, no one else does either....

:gossip: the second sentence isn't a fragment. Subject ("It") and verb ("allowed") are there, and it even has an object. Nice try though!

(thumbs u

Don't know if this counts...

Marvel buys Heroes World to self-distribute / Diamond signs exclusive publishers

This should be #7. The Heroes World self-distribution debacle led to the massive consolidation of regional distributors (Styx, Andromeda in Canada; Second Genesis, etc.) down to the final battle between Capitol City and Diamond. Didn't Marvel Comics & toys :sick: almost go bankrupt at that juncture?

:gossip: the second sentence isn't a fragment. Subject ("It") and verb ("allowed") are there, and it even has an object. Nice try though!

(thumbs u

I was going to edit it, but that wouldn't have helped my argument any. :roflmao:

(thumbs u

I was going to edit it, but that wouldn't have helped my argument any. :roflmao:

You're lucky I ignored "oppinions"...

;)

There are a couple of events that predate the modern comic book, but that are noneless key moments in the history of comic fandom.

One event that many people don't think about was the debut of the Buck Rogers and Tarzan comic strips on the same day - January 7, 1929. They were the first non-funny continuity adventure strips. That was the day that the comics no longer had to be "comical." This paved the way for the superhero and other action/adventure genres.

An even earlier and possibly more important event was Hugo Gernsback's publication of the first science fiction pulp, Amazing Stories, in April 1926. Gernsback did something novel by publishing the addresses of the readers who wrote in to the letters page, allowing fans to be able comunicate directly with each other for the first time. It was from those early letters pages that sf "fandom" was born. In fact the the terms "fan" (a clip of "fanatic") and "fandom" were coined by this early sf community.

Soon you had fanzines and fan get-togethers, that eventually led to conventions (the first in 1939). Comic book fandom is a direct offshoot of that early sf fan community and a number of individuals of importance to the comic book industry came from those early letter pages of Amazing Stories - Jerry Siegel, Julie Schwartz, Mort Weisinger, and Forrie Ackerman to name a few.

Roy Thomas and Jerry Bails had a big impact as publishers of Alter Ego and consumate letter hacks. It would be hard not to include Howard Rogofsky in this discussion,... he, Bell, and a couple others laid the foundations of our hobby. Phil Seulings first comic con....definitely....the direct sales market...double definitely. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

jason ewert?? who is this guy and what is the story?

The Jason Ewert scandal.

After the discovery of a micro-trimmed Fantastic Four #3 that CGC did not detect, http://boards.collectors-society.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=906540&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1, others were discovered and CGC posted an official announcement, banning Ewert from CGC completely. http://boards.collectors-society.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=comicgen&Number=947557&Searchpage=1&Main=947557&Words=+sborock&topic=&Search=true#Post947557.

Follow up by Borock:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=4&Number=936098&Searchpage=1&Main=50906&Words=ewert+sborock&topic=0&Search=true#Post936098

*CGC also released an official announcement that they would recheck any and all Ewert books for free, but this information was only available on their threaded board (here http://boards.collectors-society.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=1089207&an=0&page=0#Post1089207)- not on their website, and not reported to any trade magazines (CBG, Wizard, etc).

After (and/or because of?) the Ewert scandal, CGC curtailed the usability of their CGC serial number search on their website. The serial number search was used to identify other books submitted by Jason Ewert, and several other trimmed books came to light which wouldn't have in the search's current mode.

Ewert scandal, one year later:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1327182&fpart=1