• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

COMIC ZONE ON NOW- WITH NEAL ADAMS

474 posts in this topic

I don't think I have ever read a more ironic post. You bash those who make "generalizations" and then promptly follow with your own. I hope for your sake it was intentional.

You don't really believe it was accidental, do you?

In seeing the reactions to my assault on the the academia, I wonder if everyone here thought the assaults on Neal's work should go unanswered. Many here are just as guilty of being tunnel visioned as they accuse us of being, even worse.

I would truly prefer an intelligent discussion, but in listening to the rants here, I can see there's no such intention. Most of the recent remarks have no respect for a point of view they don't agree with and make no attempt at discussing the issue. Just backhanded snobbery and ridicule, I'm afraid. So, they've had a taste of their own medicine and don't like it. Quite a shame, actually. It's always possible to change the tides, though.

hey - - great post!

Youre right, the popular (mis) conception i sthat Einstein was a dumb math-failing loser until he suddenly got smart. The archetypical "you never know" Sad Sack story of hidden potential. But as your AE bio conveys, he was a prodigy from early on even if he did fail whatever math class the story talks about. (if it was even true!)

Thanks.

Even that "factoid" is essentially an urban legend. People failing a math class like the fable because it makes them feel better about themselves. Here's a better statement of what really happened:

http://www.geocities.com/researchtriangle/campus/6791/bio.htm

...From the time he was very young, he had a deep seeded interest in math and science. At times, he got so board [sic] with his schoolwork he stopped doing it and consequently failed math. Einstein's mathematics professor, Hermann Minkowski, got so angered with Albert's lack of interest in the class; he called Einstein a "lazy dog." From the time he was very young till his death, he would only study what he wanted to....

(this tale is in more reputable sources -- that's the first one I found on www)

Of course, the "Johnny is flunking your class because he's bored" defense is now used by thousands of pushy parents to explain their own kid's lack of ability or diligence.

Jack

must... resist...ugh..... tempation...... to... agree with Netzer... tongue.gif

Yea, lets stick to the debate at hand rather than generalized attacks.

That kind of stuff is counter productive. Otherwise everyone is just going to get pissed off.

I honstly enjoy these types of discussions. Some of my favorite debate topics are

YEC's, Pearl Harbor revisionism, and 9/11 conspiracies.

I got so involved with Pearl Harbor that I was in general contact with some of the top Navy Experts in the world.

Welcome to the boards Michael...... hi.gif Sometimes it's just easier for people to go through life believing what the majority does....believing what they've learned in text books & such.I myself am always open to other viewpoints esp:history,science and religion.As long as the theory is'nt too extreme....all flaming aside. popcorn.gif

In seeing the reactions to my assault on the the academia, I wonder if everyone here thought the assaults on Neal's work should go unanswered. Many here are just as guilty of being tunnel visioned as they accuse us of being, even worse.

I would truly prefer an intelligent discussion, but in listening to the rants here, I can see there's no such intention. Most of the recent remarks have no respect for a point of view they don't agree with and make no attempt at discussing the issue. Just backhanded snobbery and ridicule, I'm afraid. So, they've had a taste of their own medicine and don't like it. Quite a shame, actually. It's always possible to change the tides, though.

I'm not flinging insults. I'd be happy to see a real defense of the growing earth theory that's consistent with the real universe. If this part isn't true, whether the skin of the earth fits together like an orange peel is irrelevant.

Quote:

Earth grows because it creates matter on the inside. The inside of Earth is empty of solids; it's just gasses and plasma. There matter is made.

How can matter be created inside the earth?

What evidence is there that the core of the earth is gasses and plasma?

Quote:

Question: Why is the hydrogen atom the only atom that has no neutron.

Answer: Because a hydrogen atom is a neutron.

How is that statement consistent with any known property of a hydrogen atom? Atomic spectra would be a good starting point.

Honest discussion, please. None of this "respectful" stuff:

Quotes:

I've got my hands full explaining how the universe works

to our backward thinking scientific community

So those gents are left out there wandering around,

bumping into [embarrasing lack of self control] going "duh".

No, no, no more it's it's all too-too much. But, yes thanks for the help.

Sssssssilly.

Ssss-ooooo.

Jack

Welcome to the boards Michael...... hi.gif Sometimes it's just easier for people to go through life believing what the majority does....believing what they've learned in text books & such.I myself am always open to other viewpoints esp:history,science and religion.As long as the theory is'nt too extreme....all flaming aside. popcorn.gif

Hey, Cassie......I like it too......as entertainment. Which is what it is.

It's an automatic for the fringe-folk like Mike to play the "Misunderstood-Martyr" card. I have a healthy amount of skepticism for most doctrine. I'm nothing more than a semi-educated layman. But I have developed a decent degree of discernment. If you want to be entertained, then by all means, delve into and explore any of the pseudo-sciences.

But it's more important than ever, especially when we're bombarded with kook theory parading as science, to try to develop a critical facility. I recommend, along with "The Demon Haunted World", a book by Allan Bloom entitled "The Closing of the American Mind". Try to keep your science separate from your diversions. flowerred.gif

And sometimes.....just sometimes....although it may not be fashionable to believe it.....the majority is right.

I have a theory... this thread is also creating matter.

And I dare ANYONE to disprove me.

Ze-

Wrong. It doesn't MATTER. poke2.gif

You Sir..are full of GAS

hi.gif

I recommend, along with "The Demon Haunted World", a book by Allan Bloom entitled "The Closing of the American Mind". Try to keep your science separate from your diversions. flowerred.gif

Another great read! I applaud your taste in books. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Ze-

You Sir..are full of GAS

hi.gif

I couldn't help it. You dared me... confused-smiley-013.gif

hi.gif back at ya'

The Amazing Randi? Love him! Seen him on tv a number of times......

It just seems a shame that when our schools are being broadsided by the creationists trying to push their religious agenda into the classroom, and trying to take Darwin prisoner in the process, that more energy isn't put into promoting and defending pure hard science.

But hey, Adams is under no more obligation to carry any particular ideological torch than say, the guy sitting in the back booth of the local bar mumbling to himself. The only reason anyone is giving Adam's theories two seconds of reflection.....is because he drew a mean Batman. That's the only reason. It's not because of the veracity or originality of the ideas.

Brad

Brad,

Try not to take my ramblings too seriously, after all, I just do 'comics'. I hold the view that comic books, science and science fiction are all grist for our mill and since I do one, there's no reason not to hobby in the other. Had I chosen science I suspect I would have done quite well. What I learned in 'comics' is how to communicate and how to keep ideas clear and simple in structure. I believe science, like law and medicine, would all do well to adopt this goal. Ease of communication.

The lesson I learned and keep on learning is that science is populated by really smart folks who, because of the academic structure and the job market specialize early and totally; and each new piece of information makes vacationing in other disciplines virtually impossible. This is a sociological point, not a scientific point.

A physicist is not going to take a 60 ton sauropod seriously. A cosmologist can't tell you if a rock can grow. A geologist doesn't know who Carl David Anderson is, or who Jack Kirby is, for that matter. I'm talking to some heavy hitters and teachers and getting smacked around pretty good, but in spite of themselves folks are feeding back a beginning open-ness to the Growing Earth thing. Hey, maybe I'll put it into the Batman Story DC and I are casually talking about. Oh check my vids on http://www.nealadams.com/nmu.html

Hey, Cassie......I like it too......as entertainment. Which is what it is.

It's an automatic for the fringe-folk like Mike to play the "Misunderstood-Martyr" card. I have a healthy amount of skepticism for most doctrine. I'm nothing more than a semi-educated layman. But I have developed a decent degree of discernment. If you want to be entertained, then by all means, delve into and explore any of the pseudo-sciences.

But it's more important than ever, especially when we're bombarded with kook theory parading as science, to try to develop a critical facility. I recommend, along with "The Demon Haunted World", a book by Allan Bloom entitled "The Closing of the American Mind". Try to keep your science separate from your diversions. flowerred.gif

And sometimes.....just sometimes....although it may not be fashionable to believe it.....the majority is right.

Darn it Red....I was just tryin to be nice to the guy...some of his art is cool.Oh,well..Michael with all due respect it is my opinion that if you have to resort to name calling then you've already lost the argument or any type of view you wish to project to the masses....I wish you well though & hope you make it here to the states. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Btw Red I may just check out those books....thanks. flowerred.gifHey...how can the minority believe in the majority confused-smiley-013.gif I speak for the little guy sumo.gif too.....late....can't......give.....in......too.................reality! 27_laughing.gif

Ze-

You Sir..are full of GAS

hi.gif

I couldn't help it. You dared me... confused-smiley-013.gif

hi.gif back at ya'

Up your nose with a rubber hose... popcorn.gif

Didn't that Queen song have a lyric "nothing really matters"?

Yeah....he was referring to your post... insane.gif

Ha, this is what you are up to while you keep me busy with your PM's..... 27_laughing.gif

I'm talking to some heavy hitters and teachers and getting smacked around pretty good, but in spite of themselves folks are feeding back a beginning open-ness to the Growing Earth thing.

Hello Neal

Was just curious,

How have the so called "heavy hitters" forced you to adjust YOUR theories? What holes did they poke in it that made you take a step back and actually say.. ok..ok I was just "off" on that argument.. but the theory itself is sound.

And what points in your argument have caused the most shuffling feet, grumbling under breath moments among those who strongly oppose your theory?

I assume, giving you all the more reason to pursue your theory.

I wont even pretend to be on a level even close enough to actually dicuss this in the manner it deserves,or for that matter if you are looney tunes or flat out brilliant. But as an onlooker I am fascinated by it all.

Ain't ongoing education a gas!

On a comic note.. where the heck is that darn Batman Illustrated #3?... there is a hole on my bookshelf.

Ze