• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ADVICE NEEDED: Considering WonderCon 2004

28 posts in this topic

Still need more advice... so...

*BUMP*

I'm going and we can have dinner.

Isn't that reason enough to go? 27_laughing.gifstooges.gif

There's something fitting about that being your 666th post, Steve... smile.gif

So do you know whether I can unload myself? Or do I need to pay $300 to the local union to bring my stuff in for me? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

*BUMP*

Moscone Center is only a short walk away from downtown. You can probably park by the Transbay terminal (a huge bus station) which has relatively cheap satellite parking lots all around it especially if you get there early (Just for the day though). Your best bet if you'll be using your car at night is to use the hotel parking for a guaranteed space.

There is street parking but generally, if you leave your vehicle on a public street for more than 3 days in one place, it might get towed away.

One way I'd do it for free is to park it off in the burbs but that could be more trouble than it's worth, especially if you need the van to get around. (You'd have to take the bus or BART (train), etc. to get to your car then.)

Check this site out: http://www.parkingquest.com/home.shtml

What kind of info are you looking for? I've never set up at WonderCon as a dealer. It's going to be a lot more expensive now since it's at Moscone Center in SF. Previous years, it was held in downtown Oakland right next to Chinatown. (The Golden State Warrior's practice facility is at the top of the same Oakland hotel/convention center) (It was also right next to an office building I was working in.)

If you're looking for theater tickets, places to visit, places to eat, sporting events, etc. with the wife/staff after hours, that's another matter all together. The San Francisco Bay Area has a huge number of restaurants per capita as well as activities. The Museum of Modern Art is about a block away from the convention center. The Cartoon Art Museum is also around there as well.

*BUMP*

I'm going and we can have dinner.

Isn't that reason enough to go? 27_laughing.gifstooges.gif

There's something fitting about that being your 666th post, Steve... smile.gif

So do you know whether I can unload myself? Or do I need to pay $300 to the local union to bring my stuff in for me? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

When my company set up at Moscone for a convention (non-comics), we had to use union labor although we could hand carry stuff in. No hand trucks. You might be out of luck.

This is from another convention held there:

Labor: Exhibitors are required to observe all union labor contracts enforced within the exhibit hall. Union jurisdictions include the overall set-up and dismantling of exhibits not including the unpacking and placement of exhibitor materials in the booth. Union labor is not required if the display can be installed by one person in less than 30 minutes without the use of tools. Union labor is also required for the operation of all material handling equipment, all unloading and reloading, and the handling of empty containers; however, an exhibitor may move material that can be hand-carried by one person in one trip, without the use of dollies, hand trucks, or other mechanical equipment. Information will be included in the Exhibitor Service Kit (mailed in April) outlining the jurisdictions of local union labor.

Hand-Carried Freight: Move-in or move-out through the Moscone Center lobbies is strictly limited to hand-carried items. Wheels of any kind (luggage carts, dollies, hand trucks, etc.) are prohibited. Materials which require the use of wheeled or mechanical equipment must be delivered to the exhibit floor through the loading docks or drive-in access from the freight tunnels.

I'm contemplating Wondercon this year also. Not as a dealer, but I'd love to meet up with some of you. Is there going to be a dinner or something planned? I'll probably just go one day to the con.