• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is there such a thing as....

9 posts in this topic

a Marvel from the 70's that is way undervalued in OPG vs. market reality in 4.0 - 8.0 condition?

Putting aside maybe your oddball "L'il Pals" or Romance type title.

just curious

I ask because my LCS gets in these bronze age collections, but there's rarely anything super sharp in there and then he waits around to price them up. If you pull them he'll price them, at which time there's some negotiation, but in general, I'm not that interested in paying $5 for some book that guides for $6, I figure I can generally do better elsewhere. It's kind of a toss up whether it;s worth it to wait until he puts a price tag on them because sometimes he'll way undergrade, so sometimes there's something worth picking up when that happens.

Speaking as someone who chased all of them down I say no. There are several books that are hard to find, period, but none are rare. Li'l Kids and Li'l Pals are tough but out there in the 4.0-8.0 range if you look in enough boxes. The problem is there is almost zero demand for these books so they don't bring above guide. In most cases I paid less than $3 for books like that in 6.0.

I'll second Stronguy's "No."

I think, unless there's another surprise movie like "Blade," in the works that we don't know about, that there are no more slumbering BA keys.

(Or, if some superstar writer/artist team does an amazing job of reviving some C-List character, which is always possible. But who's left? Machine Man? The Living Mummy?)

Plus, all the 70s Marvel superhero stuff is available in all grades in very large quantities.

The Oddball stuff is actually the way to go, like the humor, romance and western reprints that were not very actively collected or hoarded. However, again like Stronguy said, there is only a small pool of collectors looking for these so demand is not really high.

If you are looking for books to flip, I say go with the Marvel romance titles, Our Love Story and My Love. You could be surprised what they'd fetch if it's a particularly tough issue to find.

I figured as much. I know there's a lot of stuff from the last 10 or so years that OPG doesn't really have a grasp of (both in terms of over and undervaluing). I figured the non-quirky Marvel books are out there in such large numbers and OPG is so "generous", it was unlikely, but figured I might ask. If any Marvel had a slightly off distribution cycle that I buy the quirky stuff when it is priced right. There are still a few first appearances and such that aren't broken out and could always jump if a character or plotline suddenly means something, but criminey, you have to act quick! DCs seem to be impacted more by that sort of thing. Remember when Psycho Pirate appearances were sought after for about 6 seconds? i suppose some last issues, but a cancelled series in the 70s probably still had 75-100K copies

Just about every marvel bronze age minor hero`s first appearance was tapped a long time ago as maybe a potential breakout book,I remember making lists of the a,b and c bronze age characters first appearances on flash cards around the early 1990`s and that was almost 20 years ago,I am sure I wasn`t the only one doing it then and I am sure some people are doing it now.

Shroud or White Tiger anyone? see? people back then were looking for any character who was going to have the potential to be hot like Wolverine or Punisher.

The only way now is for some character to get the Blade movie treatment and even the Hollywood card is starting to get old, case in point the Losers and Human Target just both had a movie and a tv show and there was only was marginal jumps in interest for thier appearances.

Five years ago I figured the next big Bronze break-out was going to be Daredevil # 111 (1st Silver Samurai) because the rumor was Ken Watanabe would play him in Wolverine or Wolverine II.

Five years from now I'll still be waiting for that book to break out.

a Marvel from the 70's that is way undervalued in OPG vs. market reality in 4.0 - 8.0 condition?

Yes. Spidey #129 typically sells at or near Guide in almost any grade.

There are others, but that's the one that stands out.

Yes. Spidey #129 typically sells at or near Guide in almost any grade.

There are others, but that's the one that stands out.

So true for #129. On FeeBay, usually sells for over guide on raw examples in 4.0-8.0.