• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another (Minor) eBay Headache

25 posts in this topic

So I had a bidder win an item of mine three weeks ago, and as usual I sent out an invoice. A couple of days later they hadn't paid, but I noticed as I was going through my active listings that they were bidding on another item so I didn't think anything of it.

So two weeks ago the second item finishes and the same bidder wins it, so I send out another invoice for both books. Still no contact from the buyer, so last week I email them asking if they intend paying as if not I'll just flag them up as unpaid items.

They reply syaing they're sorry but are 'having a bit of trouble with with Paypal and the information they're giving them isn't enough. Can I hold the books for them?'. It sounds a bit like the trouble I had a few weeks back, but I did manage to get mine sorted out within six days, and (as I found out later) was actually able to use Paypal while it was being sorted out.

So move to this week, three weeks after the first auction ended and two weeks after the second auction ended, and still no payment or contact. So I'm thinking that if it was me who had won and was having this trouble I'd stay in contact with the seller, and wouldn't have bid on the items in the first place to be honest.

So do I give them more time or just file them as unpaid items? Bearing in mind the second auction is now tied into the first so I've only got around a week left before the month is up, if that's how long you have to report an unpaid item.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated (thumbs u

You can open an unpaid item case in the Resolution Center 7-45 days after the sale if you don't receive payment from the buyer.

The buyer has up to 7 days to respond to your case.

You need to close your case within 60 days from the time of the transaction.

I would file it. Worst case you can just close it when he pays. It isn't like paypal is the only way to pay. You could suggest that since he isn't able to pay with paypal he could use a different form of payment for it.

If he gives you then it should show you that possibly his intention all together is not to pay.

On a side note, I completely hate that if he doesn't pay you can't neg him or anything. He can just neg you and say it was your fault and you really can't do anything.

At the least maybe ask for a small deposit to hold the books. Maybe he could mail you a money order for a fraction of the win?

It honestly sounds like he doesn't want to pay for any of them. He just likes "winning" the auctions. It doesnt take 2-3 weeks for paypal to get information. Sounds like hes stringing you along, i'd file asap and get your fees back. If he does intend to pay, he will within those 7 days like people said. Good luck.

Or you could just say that you have to file to protect your sale. I would probably send a message to the underbidder (don't know if thats possible with ebay changes) to let them know it may be available.

Out of curiosity, how much is this guy into you for?

Hey, ComicSupply! How's the fixing all the problems going?

I'll mail them again and then file. It's not a massive amount, around $30 or so, but I just don't want to risk a neg over that amount.

Plus the fact that if I relist the books they may fetch a higher price than last time. I did give the option of an alternative method of payment but that was refused, whether it's because they're an international user (Belgium) I don't know.

The one thing that bugged me was there was never any communication from them after the first auction closed to let me know they were bidding on other items in the first place.

I'll mail them again and then file. It's not a massive amount, around $30 or so, but I just don't want to risk a neg over that amount.

Plus the fact that if I relist the books they may fetch a higher price than last time. I did give the option of an alternative method of payment but that was refused, whether it's because they're an international user (Belgium) I don't know.

The one thing that bugged me was there was never any communication from them after the first auction closed to let me know they were bidding on other items in the first place.

I'd be polite about it, Gav, and just let them know whether you are paid or not, eBay bills you nonetheless for the transaction. In order to be reimbursed for the Final Value Fee, it is required to submit a Non-Paying Bidder Dispute.

Even better, politely state that if the bidder doesn't want the items now, there is the option under the NPD feature of a mutual agreement not to continue the sale.

Offer that up ahead of time, then submit the dispute. If they don't respond within the time limits, and it sounds like they won't, then choose the option in the end of Non-Payment.

Even better, politely state that if the bidder doesn't want the items now, there is the option under the NPD feature of a mutual agreement not to continue the sale.

Offer that up ahead of time, then submit the dispute. If they don't respond within the time limits, and it sounds like they won't, then choose the option in the end of Non-Payment.

I'd forgotten about that option, I'll go down that route, and if there's no reply I'll stick the Non-Payment claim in (thumbs u

Thanks Nick (worship)

What is it with people not paying for auctions??

I get the whole 'family emergency' or 'technical problems' :blahblah:

I just don't understand why someone bids with no intention or failure to pay. :(

In my last 10 auctions to close all but one has contacted me with payment or notified me that they are bidding on another auction. I guess 90% is a pretty good percentage? (shrug)

Jumping puss buckets! :censored:

What is it with people not paying for auctions??

I get the whole 'family emergency' or 'technical problems' :blahblah:

I just don't understand why someone bids with no intention or failure to pay. :(

In my last 10 auctions to close all but one has contacted me with payment or notified me that they are bidding on another auction. I guess 90% is a pretty good percentage? (shrug)

Jumping puss buckets! :censored:

That is an amazing % if you think about general, eCommerce conversion. Most major retailers would kill for 25%+ conversion on a good day.

Or you could just say that you have to file to protect your sale. I would probably send a message to the underbidder (don't know if thats possible with ebay changes) to let them know it may be available.

Out of curiosity, how much is this guy into you for?

Hey, ComicSupply! How's the fixing all the problems going?

How about you just take the buyer's money, Boozad, and don't ship the buyer anything? Be sure to send plenty of emails stating how the stuff was back-ordered, how sick you are, and how soon it will actually be coming.

Is that an option?

Foreign buyers (except Canadians) always seemed to me like they thought of their eBay purchases as low priority. Like "I've got a lot of things to do, maybe I will get you paid by the end of the week, maybe next month". In fact I remember some being so slow that they would send payment after the option to leave feedback had expired.

Canadians I always remember paying very quickly and expecting their books to be in the mail yesterday.

My standards are just ridiculous. If I'm bidding on an auction that ends during my waking hours, it's paid for at the close of said auction.

I'm not as obsessive in regards to those I sell to, however, I do like to see payments received by the next day so I can make one trip to the PO and not have to go EVERY day.

I fully realize mess happens and that's fine. All I ask for is a little communication to let me know that you're ill or at least let me know you're a insufficiently_thoughtful_person so I can offer said item to some one that actually has a sense of responsibility. (tsk)

Now I've probably alienated everyone on the boards that had even the smallest of inclination to bid on my current round of drek. :grin:

It's too bad eBay can't offer an option that could exclude bidders that don't pay within x amount of days after an auction closes - certainly they could track that via paypal data? I don't have any bidders that don't pay via that venue any more any way.

Wow - when did 'm o r o n' become a bad word? hm