• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

who's gonna be bidding on this CGC MINT 10?

34 posts in this topic

THE GUIDE: Rozanski to auction oldest 10.0

Chuck Rozanski has put a copy of Thor #156, the oldest CGC-graded 10.0 comic

book up for auction to benefit the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund.

Graded two years ago, the edition of Thor #156 predates the next-oldest 10.0 by

14 years.

The auction will begin on Thanksgiving Day and will go until Dec. 8. Rozanski

told CBG that he

expects the copy to go for a good price.

"If it doesn't bring over $5,000, I'll bid on it. My belief is that it is going

somewhere between the $6,000 to $12,000 range, because it is the only one,"

Rozanski told CBG. "This is unique at this point, and what's interesting is that

there have been two years since this book was graded and a lot more books have

been graded in that intervening time - yet, as far as I know, no other book

prior to 1982 has been graded as a 10.0. This is better than any of the books

from the Mile High Collection."

On Nov. 14 after winning the retailer auction for a Jim Lee store signing,

Rozanski announced that he plans to give to fans the seats for the dinner after

the event, as reported in CBG #1516.

Rozanski won that auction for $6,700. All the seats will be auctioned on eBay to

benefit the Fund. Fans can enter the contest at http://www.milehighcomics.co

Well..I don't know how accurately we can take Chuck's opinion on what price it'll obtain since we all know his books are way pricey..anyways, it'll be interesting to see what this book does..I'm sure he'll hype the hell out of it to his customer base as well as others..and IMO his customer base is VERY loyal, so I'd guess it might actually hit his estimate. And as for the subject of this msg..I won't be bidding on it, I can't stand Thor, he's fairly boring to me frown.gif

Brian

I can see the low-end, as he really has some people who are very close to him that see his prices and word as gospel. Plus he is a mighty nice guy and it's for a good cause..which I think if you do it correctly, you can buy the comic and then use it as a write-off as a donation to a charity funding organization smile.gif

Brian

Anyone here try the Mile High buying program? They put a two page spread in CBG with prices for books they will buy from you in "NM". You just send the books you have in with an invoice. Then I believe they grade your books and pay you percentages of the price listed based on their grading. My "NM" would be off their scale, so does that mean I should get a multiple of their by price? Anyone do this before and how was your experience?

I've actually sold around $3K worth of stuff to them in the last year. At various times they have paid substantially more than eBay on a wide variety of 'hot' books. I sold them 80 copies of USM 7 at $18 a piece (after screening out my better copies) when that book was doing about $14 on eBay...

Never sell them anything that's more than a few years old of course. Last I checked they were paying $1 for NM copies of Surfer 4. But on fairly recent stuff, Chuck and the gang will pay well because they know they can turn the books in a hurry.

Their buy prices change constantly... I sold them 8 copies of Witchblade 1 at $20 a piece less than 2 months ago, now they are paying $7... They still have some prices on there that I'd be happy to sell at. I've got 150 extra copies of DD Yellow 1, and moving a few dozen at $3 a piece is something I will probably do. I've been selling them at cons for $1....

I can not see that book going anywhere near that price - unless someone is buying mainly to donate to the charity. That book is extremely common in high grade - like Spidey 33 or FF 48. I think there is a 9.8 on ebay right now. I have a 9.6 and a 9.4. If it were a regular auction I would say $2500 tops.

Chuck claims he's already turned down several offers, the lowest of which was $5000.

I can see this one going for insane dollars. Spidey 19 CGC 9.9--nothing key about that, although Spidey is definitely more popular than Thor--went for $20,000, which is about 45 times Overstreet. People paying these big dollars often compute multiples in their head, and if an issue is lower in cost--such as Thor 145 guiding for 10 times less than Spidey 19 ($45 versus $450)--they often pay higher multiples.

Here are some possible multiples for this Thor issue:

• 50 times guide = $2,250
  • 100 times guide = $5,500
  • 200 times guide = $11,000

I'm wondering whether the usual Marvel Silver age "BSDs," as Storms calls them, would be motivated to pay the insano dollars to have a 10.0 sitting in their runs of 9.4s to 9.8s, or whether they think 10.0 is mostly hype. Shreuder and Brulato still buy Silver age upgrades, and at this point, there's not much for them to buy; they might see this as the ultimate upgrade that could actually be affordable, as compared to a 10.0 Spidey #14 or some other key, which might only be affordable to one or two mega-rich collectors on the planet.