• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your 15 Comic Picks for 2004

40 posts in this topic

That's a fun idea. I'll throw in a prize if anyone beats my pick below by more than $500.

1 9.4 copy of Four Color 386 @ $1,300

1 9.4 copy of WDC&S 11 @ $900

1 9.4 copy of WDC&S 18 @ $725

12 2.0 copies of Ronald McDonald V2#1 @ $6 = $72

Total: $2,997

Prize: one of the following reading copies:

- Strange Adventures #2 VG

- Danger Trail #4 VG/FN

I was going to select Amazing Spider-Man #252 and Secret Wars #8 as well but ran out of space. Glad I'm not the only one who thinks these books will rise in value. I didn't think about the Amazing Spider-Man #238 though. It's an interesting pick and a good point. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'm guessing these picks are more for the Golden Age board than for this thread, but here's where I think the largest undervaluation currently lies:

Whiz Comics #2 - #20

Adventure Comics #32 - #39

All-American Comics #2 - #15

Early Lev Gleason books (Silver Streak #1 - #10, Daredevil #2 - #5)

King Comics #1 - #10

Flash Comics #2 - #10

and of course...

Centaur, Centaur, Centaur!! All copies, but particularly the 1936-1939 books. Funny Pages, Keen Detective Funnies, Amazing-Man, Comics Magazine, Amazing Mystery Funnies, Detective Picture Stories, Funny Picture Stories, etc. I defy someone to collect them all. Lord knows, I'm trying. You'd think that books that are practically non-existant in any grade would sell for more than they currently do.

Actually, maybe that's the problem. Since they basically don't exist in high grade, they don't get slabbed. And the current collecting market more or less ignores the books that aren't slabbed.

You ever want a fun and fairly inexpensive scavenger hunt, pick one of the Centaur titles I named above and try to collect a full run. I highly recommend it. The satisfaction at finally finding an issue that doesn't even exist yet in the CGC census, then picking it up for $125 bucks, is immense. Plus, some of the stories are downright fantastic, and since the books aren't slabbed, you can read them! smile.gif

Actually, the Dark Phoenix Saga begins in X-Men 125. thumbsup2.gif

not according to Overstreet! confused-smiley-013.gif

Who are you gonna believe? OS, or a guy who's read the entire run a few hundred times? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Well, in OS under X-men #110 it says, "Phoenix joins."

Under #129 OS says, "Dark Phoenix Saga begins."

Sounds like the Phoenix was around since issue #110 but the "SAGA" began in issue #129. Thoughts?!?

Timely

there is something to be said possibly for the Venom trilogy ASM 298 - 300 if he does make his app somewhere in Spidey 2; but just that grouping has potential - may be if parallels are drawn to our favorite Bronze trilogy featuring a famous X-man's first app?

I was thinking of Shazam BA apperance Shazam #1 too. It's an undervalued book. The character has become so piviotal in the DC universe lately.
confused.gif There are tons of this book in high grade. I've seen a dealer with over a hundred unread copies. 893frustrated.gif

OK, the Guide might have the beginning of the Dark Phoenix saga wrong - and we'll check that for sure - but this part is fundamentally correct in listing both events separately. Jean Grey AKA Marvel Girl took on the new Phoenix persona and name, and then some time late fell into her "Dark Phoenix" phase, which is the beginning of the saga noted in the second notation. That the notation is incorrect about the specific issue is of course regrettable, but noting that "Phoenix joined" earlier than the "Dark Phoenix saga" began is correct.

Now we just have to fix that issue number...

Arnold

I'll start off buy showing everyone my picks:

Amaz. Spider-Man #129 $250.00

Batman #232 $135.00

Brave & Bold #54 $390.00

Cerebus #1 $300.00

Daredevil #168 $110.00

Flash #139 $165.00

G. Lantern #76 $250.00

G. Lantern #87 $50.00

Iron Fist #14 $170.00

Iron Man #1 $510.00

Iron Man #55 $110.00

M. Spotlight #5 $130.00

Teen Titans #1 $290.00

X-Men #108 $130.00

X-Men #134 $65.00

Total: $3,055

Your original thread says "You can have cash left but NOT go over your $3000 budget", so what do you go and do ?

I haven't got OS 33 at work. Are we supposed to be playing by their NM prices or what ?

I still like my picks from last year, but still keeping with this theme, and with a budget of US $3000, I would probably either hoard one or two particular issues, or just outright buy one or two books. Here are a few that come to mind:

Das Kampf -- (1963) Vaughn Bode (complete, in VG or better condition). Last one that sold on eBay went for US $4000. It was in pretty good shape (probably a FN+). If I could find one privately, that sold just before hitting eBay, I'd likely send it in to CGC for grading as the new mag format may accomodate its dimensions, and keep it for a long-term investment..

Zap Comix 1 (1st print) R. Crumb. Raw, I'm pretty confident I could find on in a solid VF'ish shape for between 2500-3000. Slab it, and If I have any money left over, I would buy either :

Zap Comix 0 (1st print) R. Crumb. Raw, in VF/NM shape. Probably, if I'm lucky, get it for around US $300.

Zap Comix 2 (1st print) R. Crumb. Raw, in strict NM shape. Probably if I'm lucky, get it for around US $200.

Big Comics 1 (1st print) R. Crumb. Raw, in strict NM or better shape. Likely drop around US $150 for it. This book is getting harder, and harder to find in high-grade. One still hasn't hit the census, and my copy is probably a VF+ at best. This will defnitely be one of my projects in San Diego later this year -- unless someone could help me with one sooner. thumbsup2.gif

Sounds like the Phoenix was around since issue #110 but the "SAGA" began in issue #129. Thoughts?!?

Phoenix = character

Dark Phoenix Saga = Mastermind and the Hellfire Club mucking with Phoenix's mind and transforming her into the Black Queen, which in turn unleashes Dark Phoenix.

The X-Men 129 notation is there because that's where Marvel started the TPB (to save paper?), and as I've shown, it is in no way the actual start of the storyline.

hmmmm i am going to use fantasy book pricing as well since that was the trend at the start...

5 savage tales #1 in raw nm $1000 - most undervalued bronze key out there

3 vampirella #112 in raw nm $250 - tough last issue

2 vampirella #100 in raw nm $200 - tough issue

2 raw nm Astonishing Tales #12 $80 - 2nd man thing still super cheap

2 raw nm Astonishing Tales #13 $60 - 1st man thing cover, leads into fear #10 super cheap

1 raw nm Ghost Rider #1 $100 - #1 , just as tough to find nice as MS5, but cheaper

2 raw nm Ghost Rider #2 $100 - Nice book, 1st son of satan

4 raw nm HOS#103 $125 - black wrightson cover

2 raw nm HOS #96 - $100 - 52 pgs, wood, wrightson

3 raw nm HOS#151 $18 - kaluta, suydam, golden

2 raw nm HOM#179 $200 - still undervalued

2 raw nm HOM#256 $50 - tough in grade classic wrightson

2 raw nm HOM#261 $16 - classic kaluta & suydam

5 Psycho #18 in raw nm $125 - the BEST cover of the run

3 raw nm eerie #17 $350 - toughest warren comic mag

3 raw creepy #32 - $150 - toughest creepy, frazetta, adams

3 raw creepy #29 - $90 - maybe 2nd toughest creepy, great underwear cover

oh, i forgot about that scream #5 with the zombie, that is damn good!

Psycho #18 has rats pulling the eye out of a guys face in a close up. Its also one of the hardest skywalds to find period. I actually do prefer that scream #5, but the eye out cover is pure bad taste & hard to find.

Since he's not here anymore, I thought I'd give you MMMarvel's 15 picks.....

Hulk #181

Hulk #181

Hulk #181

Hulk #181

Hulk #181

Hulk #181

Hulk #181

Hulk #181

Hulk #181

Hulk #181

Hulk #181

Hulk #181