• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Twitter Experiment

66 posts in this topic

I mean this as a serious question.

Can someone show me how twitter is useful?

I'll be the first to admit that in order to utilize social media in a manner that can be both positive and beneficial, one needs to make a significant investment of time and effort. In my industry, Twitter has played a significant part in staying on top of incidents in as close to real-time as technology driven by human interaction can possibly get.

From a purely technological standpoint, Twitter's influence in the area of real-time search has been felt by some of the biggest players in the area of search technology - dare I say, even companies like Google. The most compelling statement of Twitter's influence was seen with the recent facebooks acquisition of friendfeed.

Perhaps the most significant benefit is to business. Twitter can provide a human touch point for consumers to ask questions, gripe about customer experiences, or compliment on latest offerings. Outside of my hobby interests, I use Twitter primarily for the purpose of brand building, and to develop new opportunities and relationships. In order to gain the most benefit from it, Twitter needs to be utilized as more than just a campaign or strategy (i.e. marketing, PR), it almost needs to become a habit.

Though I would really like to emphasize that it ought to be a good habit rather than a bad one. Like anything that requires time and effort, you might quickly find yourself needing coaching on time management.

I usually follow people that have great insights to share in my industry and areas of interest and by doing this, it does save me a significant amount of time looking for the information myself.

There are other fringe benefits, but the above-mentioned are ones that readily come to mind.

So to my poor oldschool feeble minded thinking, this could be used as

a billboard to promote myself, my businesses, my personal glory, etc, etc ?

And how do I go about promoting other people to actually look at my twitter ?

I have a difficult time as it is getting viewers to look at my wares, much less

be interested in the updated info on the owner. Please educate me.

https://twitter.com/spacecitycomics

So to my poor oldschool feeble minded thinking, this could be used as

a billboard to promote myself, my businesses, my personal glory, etc, etc ?

And how do I go about promoting other people to actually look at my twitter ?

I have a difficult time as it is getting viewers to look at my wares, much less

be interested in the updated info on the owner. Please educate me.

https://twitter.com/spacecitycomics

With careful tact, and a genuine manner in terms of reciprocating that which is gained by sharing your own knowledge and expertise with others. Social media channels like Twitter aren't a place to game people in to pushing your wares, and selling out of place won't be tolerated. That said, updating like-minded people about your interests, happenings in the comic world, etc. might translate into developing relationships with new people who might also happen to collect.

Going back to my point on real-time search, one of the biggest pluses of Twitter is that there are new 3rd-party applications popping-up each day. Sites like Tweetgrid for instance allow you to follow tweets using a grid layout that matches your preferred search criteria to real-time discussion happening on Twitter. One thing I've observed about Twitter is that it is quickly becoming a force in terms of people using it to link marketplace listings.

So if you're in a buying mode, perhaps using a 1 x 4 TweetGrid layout like this (rearranging some keywords to suit your own tastes and preferences) might serve as a useful tool to locate comics. If you're in a selling mode, there is also a site called Tweba that allows you to auction your goods in a Twitter format for free (and yes, there is also a comic section).

Gang,

I am not an Internet whore, and I am skeptic of most social sites. I just thought it would be cool for folks that care about what I collect to keep up with what I'm doing, without posting here. Use it, nor not...no need for giving this thread useless drivel about how most social sites are drivel. Gesh.

No offense to anyone, but Twitter is the perfect example of vanity in action. It is the most self-indulgent, pretentious activity I can think for a person to engage in.

It's the intent, not the site. You could apply this to just about anything on the net. Personally I thought this could be a "lazy man's" blog of my personal collecting interests.

But I certaintly don't need to justify myself to you...no offense of course. :/

I announced that I was going to use twitter as an ongoing trip report for Chicago WW. Nobody bothered to follow that user id I set up so I never bothered to update it. I use facebook for some family and old classmates. Otherwise I don't need anymore time sucks.