• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Twitter Experiment

66 posts in this topic

Gang,

I don't join every social network on the net...but I am going to use Twitter as an experiment in communicating what I am doing in my comics hobby (as a more simplistic approach than keeping a blog updated).

To that end...here's my twitter url. Please follow me if you want to keep up with my collecting adventures (which has been very quiet as of late).

http://twitter.com/sterlingcomics

So...if you are tweeting from a hobby perspective, let's see yours so we can follow you as well.

Before you embark on this Tweet, Tweet adventure here is some info to think about to make your tweets more read worthy and rise above the average joe:

research carried out by Pear Analytics determined that 40% of all messages (”tweets”) on Twitter are pointless babble. It doesn’t say anything about the users though, but does give a rough indication of their personalities without any direct specifics.

From an article I heard on talk radio: The 5 most annoying Tweeters

1. The “has to be part of a wider circle of like-minded thinkers” user. These are the people who have to hashtag pretty much everything they write. #I #am #going #for #a #shower. Are you? That’s gripping stuff there, but frankly I couldn’t care less and you have missed the point of hashtags completely.

2. The “must tell the world how busy and important I am all the time in case they forget” user. The majority of Twitter users are no doubt busy people and it’s understandable if they need to attend meetings. Some people work with the press and media and attend radio and television interviews. That’s all good and well; sometimes it comes with the territory of the job you do. But when every other tweet includes your diary for the day, that gets tedious and makes you look pretentious and arrogant - two remarkably bad qualities for a person.

3. The “can’t tweet without mentioning somebody” user. I’m sick to death of seeing tweets which consist of nothing other than literally a small handful of readable words and the rest are @other @users. Don’t use Twitter as a mailing list. Use a mailing list.

4. The “link whore” user. I can understand when people such as myself or those in a similar position where they have work which they want to spread around the web. Twitter is a great tool for that. I have my blog entries automatically sent out over Twitter so I don’t have to do it myself. But those who sign up to the service just to send out links to their followers, to me it’s like a very short version of junk mail.

5. The “1s who cnt spk prprly n hv 2 cram as mch in as poss” user. We’re quite aware that you can only send the maximum of a single text message - 160 characters - but it’s not the hardest thing in the world to do. If you need more than that, send an email. If you have plenty of space spare, add a few vowels into your tweet for once.

Good luck and rise above (thumbs u

Twitter. -shudder- I don't think it's a networking site at all. It's "HEY LOOK AT WHAT IM DOING ALLLLLLLLLLL THE TIIIIIIIIME"

Like the people who update their facebook status via cell phone every twenty five minutes.

Ugh, I even know a girl who text messages her tweets to her girlfriend, all day. Who does the same. And neither one of them just text each other -headdesk-

Twitter. -shudder- I don't think it's a networking site at all. It's "HEY LOOK AT WHAT IM DOING ALLLLLLLLLLL THE TIIIIIIIIME"

Like the people who update their facebook status via cell phone every twenty five minutes.

Ugh, I even know a girl who text messages her tweets to her girlfriend, all day. Who does the same. And neither one of them just text each other -headdesk-

It is actually becoming many things, to include a technology hiring site. Certain companies involved in social networking figure if you can use twitter, then you are worth their time to talk to.

CIO.com: Twitter Tips: How to Find Job Posts on Twitter

No offense to anyone, but Twitter is the perfect example of vanity in action. It is the most self-indulgent, pretentious activity I can think for a person to engage in.

Agreed. As if the world doesn't have enough problems you now need to waste more time doing nothing by changing status on twitter. What's next? twitter implants so your emotions are immediately posted on line?

Wait, did I just post that on an internet chat board?

Agreed. As if the world doesn't have enough problems you now need to waste more time doing nothing by changing status on twitter. What's next? twitter implants so your emotions are immediately posted on line?

Wait, did I just post that on an internet chat board?

I don't know about all that, but you are still the most feared online scam hunter around.

84614.jpg.0a3a656d93868d31c0784b0997616582.jpg

No offense to anyone, but Twitter is the perfect example of vanity in action. It is the most self-indulgent, pretentious activity I can think for a person to engage in.

that depends on the person using twitter though. that's why you only follow people who use twitter for more than telling everyone what they ate for breakfast, etc. i have a twitter account, which i don't really use, but when i do i post jokes i've thought up or useful info (how/where to get free stuff, free events coming up, etc.)

http://twitter.com/barbiedollspimp