• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Working on a TEN

16 posts in this topic

Reading a magazine dedicated to Western Art (which is kinda weird, as I don't collect Western art), I came across a collector that said he started buying smaller, less expensive pieces; anything that caught his eye. Say, a '3' or a '4' on the 10 scale.

As time went on, he upgraded and upgraded and, now, will only seek '8' or '9' on a 10 scale kind of pieces (because '10's are almost unachievable). He also says that this upgrading is the pattern for most longtime collectors.

There are '10's in this hobby -- a Shuster Superman, a Kirby FF cover, a Ditko Spidey splash -- that I'll never be able to afford. But, within my collecting interests, I find myself less interested in the pieces I first bought. Now, I want the perfect cover (increasingly expensive) or a dynamic splash (increasingly expensive). I no longer buy panel pages (still, largely affordable) but, mostly, because I haven't found the perfect piece.

I want my '10'. Has anyone found one of theirs?

Hey Hal,

I think most collectors do start out that way. I know I sure did. Its just too hard to jump right in spending big dollars on a new hobby and also probably a dumb idea until you get a better feel for the market, whatever hobby it may be. The biggest mistake I made , though, when I started collecting around 2000 was not realizing that the Tony Christopher collection of Kirby art was being digested by the market and that Kirby pages were a steal for awhile. Had I know that I would have several nice 10's in my collection right now. To answer your question I consider my Perez Avengers cover #192 to be a 10 for me, as well as the splash to Avengers #147 which is the first comic I ever bought.

Jay

Interesting topic. However, I define 10 a little differently. I usually think about it as the 'right' looking piece visually, combined with the 'right' artist, on that artists 'right' title. It fits across all genres for me. In other words, you may not want an Earl Norem Dennis the Menace Commission..., but, you may well consider a Norem Conan cover painting with all the right elements and technical proficiency on display. While not a Kirby FF cover, it still fits the bill as a 9 or 10 in my book. Just one of many, many examples I could give.

So, if I use this definition, then I do pretty much look for and stick to 9s or 10s when collecting. I don't look for just 'examples' anymore. I wouldn't just buy any Avengers cover from the 70's, or any Finlay interior illustration... and if I want a Norem Conan cover then I wait and I search and I dig deep when the one that I personally consider to be a great example comes along; then I pounce!

If I limited myself to Kirby FF covers and Ditko ASM pages then I would leave the hobby. Not just because they are very hard to obtain, but because I think I would be bored to tears. My interests in other artistic areas just doesn't allow me to let someone else lay down the collecting template for me to chase. Really, I consider most pieces in my collection to be approaching 10 status... at least to me; otherwise, I wouldn't have bought them. I actually get as much enjoyment out of looking at my Al Wiseman Dennis Splash as I do looking at my Ditko ASM splash... to me they are both 10's. (thumbs u

I was always more interested in the 'thrill of the hunt' and once I acquired the piece, it became less signficant to me over time. I viewed the piece less frequently, enjoyed it less, etc. And then a new hunt would begin and the cycle would repeat itself.

So to make a long story short, I've acquired several pieces that were 10's at the time, but I no longer consider them 10s today and have sold/traded many of them. Anyone else experience the same at some point in their collecting history?

Good points Dan, I always looked for the perfect composition, mostly Kirby because I love Kirby, any historical significance is a bonus, but yeah good art is where its at, no matter who the artist is.

Clem

Price has a lot to do with this interesting topic. I still collect sketches of the artists that I love, and I get excited about a great sketch as well as a major piece...BUT, the trend with too many dealers and collectors is to price EVERYTHING as if it were a '10'. They want '10' prices for '6' pieces. I collect deep, not wide, so I like pieces that are unfinished, prelims, roughs, etc as well as truly finished '10's. But they have to be priced right. usually they aren't.

A top piece for me doesn't have to be a cover, a splash page or necessarily has the artist's most known characters. Other things may come into play for me: rarity, a piece that exhibits a certain style of the artist, a piece from early in the artist's career.

I started out pretty much getting my '9'...Cover piece depicting my favorite character in battle from my favorite artist. A 10 would be the same artist and character but a painting. And that is doable and I hope to pull that trigger soon. Its easier of course when the artist is still working.

Now I find a very critical eye towards every other art piece I look at and consider. I have purchased maybe 6 pieces of OA and spent less than $1000.00 but I love all of them. They are all at least 8s to me. They fit my personal aesthetic and thats all that matters to me with regard to OA. I buy what I like.

My 9

th_WARLORD4FinishedPencil.jpg

I was always more interested in the 'thrill of the hunt' and once I acquired the piece, it became less signficant to me over time. I viewed the piece less frequently, enjoyed it less, etc. And then a new hunt would begin and the cycle would repeat itself.

Oh, man, you're living my life.

So to make a long story short, I've acquired several pieces that were 10's at the time

...or maybe not.

I got two Kitson Empire covers which are 10's for me.

Looking for that perfect Mahnke cover to be my next 10. I don't dream above my means.

I've most recently acquired my *Ten* piece and could not be happier! It took a very long time, but well worth the wait! (thumbs u

I do understand the thinking behind constant upgrades. It's almost like your first car, probably not the nicest looking thing, but it works! I started collecting art long ago with some "smaller", more inexpensive pieces (first ones free kids :insane: ) and have graduated into "bigger" more expensive pieces.